You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LOTR: The Rings of Power

Sugar Ape

13 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

How have they got this so wrong,  I'm not watching any more.

And Lenny fucking Henry, I'd rather watch him in Dawn French than this.

At least the cunt won't have to be endured in Season 2, if you watch it.  It's the only plus point of the show.

Yep, I really enjoyed it. Just binged the final 3 episodes and thought it was rather excellent. Don't get why people who enjoy Tolkien have a problem with it. Some bits rather predictable but still enjoyable. Some great characters too. Nori, Arondir, Orin and the Durins. 

It's inspired me to re-reading LOTR albeit on audio book, narrated by Andy Serkis which, although enjoyable, has reminded me what an insufferable twat Tom Bombadil was. The Hobbits should have beaten the cunt to death as soon as they laid eyes on him.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Yep, I really enjoyed it. Just binged the final 3 episodes and thought it was rather excellent. Don't get why people who enjoy Tolkien have a problem with it. Some bits rather predictable but still enjoyable. Some great characters too. Nori, Arondir, Orin and the Durins. 

It's inspired me to re-reading LOTR albeit on audio book, narrated by Andy Serkis which, although enjoyable, has reminded me what an insufferable twat Tom Bombadil was. The Hobbits should have beaten the cunt to death as soon as they laid eyes on him.  

Orin ?? Who dat, must have slipped me by.

18 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Nailed it from the second episode

SPOILER QUOTE BELOW

Yeah, good call.

The end was a bit confusing. I don't understand why she didn't say anything?

And do you think the other character is Gandalf? I assume it is, but I wonder now if he's a Blue Wizard or even Tom Bombadil, although that seems unlikely.

I bet they've not decided if 'The Stranger' is Gandalf or not. They'll see how much mangling of the lore they can get away with before making a decision. 

Overall, it's all right. It's not must-see TV - do not binge-watch, large wedges of it are boring - but I'm interested in what happens next. Worth a tenner, especially with all the other stuff that gets thrown into the mix. 

58 minutes ago, M_B said:

Yeah, good call.

The end was a bit confusing. I don't understand why she didn't say anything?

And do you think the other character is Gandalf? I assume it is, but I wonder now if he's a Blue Wizard or even Tom Bombadil, although that seems unlikely.

At this point I think they're leaning heavily on making the audience thinking it's Gandalf but it might be more walking us into another twist (maybe they'll throw a complete curveball and it ends up being Saruman which is why the Dwellers sensed evil/thought it was Sauron, though I doubt it).

They seem to be focusing a fair bit on material covered in Jacksons LotR's so Bombadil/The Blue Wizards might be too obscure unless season 2 opens it up a bit.

6 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Wasnt doing pedantry Redder, was genuinely asking. So I now gather Oren is Adar. Is that right ?

"Adar" is what the orcs call him, it means father. Oren is his name. Although Tolkein didn't write about him; that's how he's referred to in the cast list. 

I’ve quite enjoyed it overall and I’m looking forward to season 2, but it does have pacing issues. That last episode considering all that was crammed in could have been split over a couple of episodes easily. 

the stranger is probably Gandalf which will piss off quite a few Tolkien fans.