You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Calvert-Lewin wouldn't last ten minutes against the defences Nat faced and wouldn't be able to kick one of the old leather coated cannoballs more than 10 yards.Heading one would put him in a coma.

Yeah but Nat couldn't have pulled off the School girl look so I reckon it's pretty even really. 

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve never bet more than a tenner on an acca. I sometimes wonder how much these lads put on theirs. 

To get the same worth out of the bet and for the winnings to feel worth having then my guess is if you look at how much a week someone like Toney earns a week compared to average Joe and multiply average Joe's average bet by the amount of times Toney earns more it would be close.....

So if the average punters acca bet is lets say a tenner and lets say average joe earns £600 a week.....Toney would be on what £50,000 a week?

So that is 83 times more than average joe....so to him a tenner is about £800.

So i'd say anywhere between say £500 to a grand would be the sort of average acca bet someone like Toney would likely be placing.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve never bet more than a tenner on an acca. I sometimes wonder how much these lads put on theirs. 

Was it Paul Merson who confessed that when he used to say a number to his booky over the phone, the deal was the booky always adds a zero?

12 hours ago, Code said:

Ireland- Norway 1-2.

I did not watch the game, Haaland did not play. 

I went to it. Shite game between 2 shit teams. Odegaard is quality although he didn't do much he looked a couple of levels above everyone else, the Napoli defender looks to have something about him too. Bazunu isn't a better keeper than Kelleher.

Norway had the smallest travelling support I've ever seen at an Ireland game, I reckon 40 or 50 people. With Dublin being HQ for so many Tech companies there are usually a few hundred living here to complement those that travel.

• Upvote 1

On 17/11/2022 at 00:06, an tha said:

To get the same worth out of the bet and for the winnings to feel worth having then my guess is if you look at how much a week someone like Toney earns a week compared to average Joe and multiply average Joe's average bet by the amount of times Toney earns more it would be close.....

So if the average punters acca bet is lets say a tenner and lets say average joe earns £600 a week.....Toney would be on what £50,000 a week?

So that is 83 times more than average joe....so to him a tenner is about £800.

So i'd say anywhere between say £500 to a grand would be the sort of average acca bet someone like Toney would likely be placing.

It'll be far more than that. If you're on 50k a week an £800 bet is almost meaningless. The multiples don't tie in with the affect it has on your life. Mortgages, energy prices, fuel prices, food prices etc, aren't things footballers at the highest level have to think about. The average person in the UK at the moment can't really afford to be regularly losing £10/£20 bets. A premier league footballer could lose three quarters of their wages every month and it would make almost no difference to their life.

I know a manager from about a decade ago, mainly Championship and League one with an extremely brief period in the top flight. I remember him telling me a couple of players he managed in the third tier were making bets somewhere close to the £800 you mention. They were "only" on four or five times that. It's the only way they got the buzz.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I went to it. Shite game between 2 shit teams. Odegaard is quality although he didn't do much he looked a couple of levels above everyone else, the Napoli defender looks to have something about him too. Bazunu isn't a better keeper than Kelleher.

Norway had the smallest travelling support I've ever seen at an Ireland game, I reckon 40 or 50 people. With Dublin being HQ for so many Tech companies there are usually a few hundred living here to complement those that travel.

If Code had gone they would have sold out the Aviva and had to put a screen up in Croke Park 

6 hours ago, No2 said:

I like the look of Leo Skiri Østigård myself.

Strange career so far though, but he's still only 22 years old.

From wiki.

In the winter of 2017, Østigård signed a three-year contract with Molde FK. Ahead of the 2018 season, he went on loan to Viking FK in 1. divisjon.[4]

Brighton & Hove Albion[edit]

After the loan with Viking expired, Østigård signed for Brighton & Hove Albion.[5]

Loan to St. Pauli[edit]

On 19 July 2019, FC St. Pauli signed Østigård on a loan deal until the end of 2019–20 season.[6] He made his debut for the Hamburg based club on 31 August coming on as a substitute in a 3–3 draw against Dynamo Dresden.[7] He made his first start for St. Pauli which was against fierce rivals Hamburger SV where Kiezkicker won 2–0, claiming a first home win in 59 years against their local side.[8]

Loan to Coventry City[edit]

On 27 August 2020, Østigård joined Championship side Coventry City on a season-long loan deal.[9] He made his debut on 12 September in which was his first senior game in English football where he played the full game in a 2–1 away defeat at Bristol City.[10] On 27 February 2021, Østigård was sent off in a 1–1 away draw at Blackburn Rovers after picking up a second yellow card.[11] Østigård scored his first goal in English football on 5 April opening the scoreline in an eventual 3–1 home victory over Bristol City.[12] Østigård returned to The Seagulls with two remaining games of the season due to a thigh injury. He made 39 appearances in the league scoring two goals – 40 apprarances, two goals overall – helping The Sky Blues to safety on their return to the Championship after eight years.[13]

Loan to Stoke City[edit]

On 10 August 2021, Østigård joined Stoke City on loan for the 2021–22 season.[14] He made his debut that evening, playing the whole match of the 2–1 EFL Cup first round victory at home over League One side Fleetwood Town in what was also his League Cup debut.[15] Four days later he made his league debut for The Potters keeping a clean sheet in a 0–0 stalemate away at Birmingham City.[16] On his third appearance he scored Stoke's third goal knocking in a rebound in a 3–1 away victory over Swansea City on 17 August.[17] On 27 December 2021, Østigård was recalled from his loan spell by Brighton.[18]

Loan to Genoa[edit]

Østigård signed for Serie A side Genoa on loan for the rest of the season on 5 January, after progressive previous loan spells and this signing giving him the chance to play at the top level.[19] He made his debut four days later, playing the whole match of the 1–0 home loss against Spezia in the league, in what was his 100th club career appearance.[20] In the week day away fixture against Milan in the Coppa Italia Round of 16 on 13 January, Østigård scored his first ever domestic cup goal opening the scoring in the eventual 3–1 after extra-time loss.[21] He came on as a substitute in the 0–0 away draw at Roma on 5 February, where he was shown a straight red card on the 68th minute.[22] Østigård was sent off for a second time in five matches, this time being shown two yellows after just 24 minutes of play in the 1–0 home victory over Torino on 18 March.[23]

Napoli[edit]

On 10 July 2022, Østigård transferred to Napoli in Serie A on a permanent transfer.[24] On 26 October 2022, he scored a goal on his Champions League debut in a 3–0 win against Rangers.[25]

6 hours ago, No2 said:

We've regressed so much under that damp squibb, Kenny, that I didn't even know we where playing last night. 

I work in a small family company, my father, my brother, my cousin and myself. When Kenny got the job my Oldman bet us all, 20 euro each that we wouldn't win any of our first 10 games under Kenny. He was adamant about. 

We where all a bunch of smug cunts thinking we'd be quids in and also have bragging rights to.

My old man was spot, fucking on. We didn't win any of our first 10 games under that boring shite. Pops got his 60 euro and still brags about it. 

I don't blame him either. Kenny is a stocking 

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

It'll be far more than that. If you're on 50k a week an £800 bet is almost meaningless. The multiples don't tie in with the affect it has on your life. Mortgages, energy prices, fuel prices, food prices etc, aren't things footballers at the highest level have to think about. The average person in the UK at the moment can't really afford to be regularly losing £10/£20 bets. A premier league footballer could lose three quarters of their wages every month and it would make almost no difference to their life.

I know a manager from about a decade ago, mainly Championship and League one with an extremely brief period in the top flight. I remember him telling me a couple of players he managed in the third tier were making bets somewhere close to the £800 you mention. They were "only" on four or five times that. It's the only way they got the buzz.

I see your point....i was just thinking about it from a purely recreational perspective.

If average Joe whacks on a saturday acca for a bit of interest and the average is say a tenner then i was just using a linear 'multiplied by' theory for same bet for someone like Toney.

But yeah i take your point about it being meaningless to them - that said average joe should IMO not be laying down a £10 acca if the result of it matters....

Acca's are the quickest way to the gambling poor house anyway - regardless of whether you can afford to lose the money or not, or whether winning makes no difference or not.

12 hours ago, No2 said:

I got my ticket for free and it was still too much.