You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

Personally don't think it's a good move. Should have stayed and won another league title with Rangers and get more experience in European games. With his reputation he's going to be under enormous pressure to do well at Villa. If they can sack a guy who got them promoted and did as well as Smith did last season, Gerrard won't be safe from the chop if he goes on a bad run. I can see the appeal of Villa for him but if I were him, I probably would turn them down.

• Upvote 1

Good luck Steve and good luck to Villa if he takes the job.
I've a soft spot for Villa as my brother lived for decades in West Brom so i was down there a lot and my nephew loves pub crawls so went to plenty of West Brom and some Villa pubs, always enjoyable sessions.
Brummies are generally sound.

Xavi went from fucking Al Saad, whatever that is, to Barca. Stevie doesn't need to do this. He can almost only hurt his reputation or stagnate unless he somehow makes Villa a competitive Europa League team at least. He has no need to prove himself, he's Steven Gerrard. Just stay at Rangers and keep fighting for the league and playing in Europe there.

I actually think this is a great thing for Liverpool.

Either Gerrard is one of the top 10 managers in the world (or on his way to becoming one of them), or he's not good enough for Liverpool, simple as. Doesn't matter that he played for us - Solskjaer, Lampard, Arteta, the world is full of examples of why that's not enough.

So this is the perfect move because it will show his level. Villa are a decent enough side, not great, but probably not relegation candidates. Let's say they have roughly the 13th-15th best side in the league. So if he can finish top 10 with them for a couple of years, including a really good cup run or maybe flirting with a spot in Europe one year, then maybe, just maybe, Gerrard really is good enough for us to consider appointing him as manager.

But if they finish 15th and then 12th, or something similar, then he's getting them to play to roughly their talent level, which, fair enough, they'll probably be reasonably happy with, but it will squelch any media lackeys and our dumber fans from starting to beat the "Gerrard should replace Klopp" drum.

Probably not the perfect move from his perspective but from a Liverpool perspective, it's great.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Either Gerrard is one of the top 10 managers in the world (or on his way to becoming one of them), or he's not good enough for Liverpool, simple as. Doesn't matter that he played for us - Solskjaer, Lampard, Arteta, the world is full of examples of why that's not enough.

So this is the perfect move because it will show his level. Villa are a decent enough side, not great, but probably not relegation candidates. Let's say they have roughly the 13th-15th best side in the league. So if he can finish top 10 with them for a couple of years, including a really good cup run or maybe flirting with a spot in Europe one year, then maybe, just maybe, Gerrard really is good enough for us to consider appointing him as manager.

But if they finish 15th and then 12th, or something similar, then he's getting them to play to roughly their talent level, which, fair enough, they'll probably be reasonably happy with, but it will squelch any media lackeys and our dumber fans from starting to beat the "Gerrard should replace Klopp" drum.

Probably not the perfect move from his perspective but from a Liverpool perspective, it's great.

This is a very good point. I would love Gerrard to stay with Rangers for a few more years and smash Celtic then come back to us and continue Klopps success. However the SPL is not anywhere near the Premier League or other major European leagues for quality and a major step up. 

If Gerrard comes back to us it needs to be because he has proven himself in a top league, not just because of who he is.  Wanting him to stay at Rangers is not wanting the best for LFC.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Xavi went from fucking Al Saad, whatever that is, to Barca. Stevie doesn't need to do this. He can almost only hurt his reputation or stagnate unless he somehow makes Villa a competitive Europa League team at least. He has no need to prove himself, he's Steven Gerrard. Just stay at Rangers and keep fighting for the league and playing in Europe there.

Doesn't mean we should appoint a manager with no experience in a proper football league though does it? We're savvier than that. This is a good move from his point of view. 

"No need to prove himself, he's Steven Gerrard" – thank Christ you're not in charge of recruiting our managers, because that preordainment could land us in a world of shit if he, you know, doesn't turn out to be a very good football manager. 

Reds who want Gerrard back at Liverpool should be happy with this move. It's another realistic step towards it happening. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Exactly.  It's perfect for us, and the good thing is Stevie would probably agree.

Still think he shouod have stsyed put at Rangers until the Summer and added some silverware and European experience. He wouid have still been in demand and might have had more choice. Looking at the table , Villa are not getting Europe this season so will be 18 months at earliest before he gets any more European experience which he needs on his cv to become a top, top manager.

• Upvote 1

The Athletic are going with the line that funds have dried up at Rangers and they’re in the process of transitioning into a self-sustainable club. 

Winner of the SPL this year goes straight into the group stage of the CL. With the riches that brings then whoever wins it this year should dominate for a while. 

• Upvote 2