You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

39 minutes ago, No2 said:

No they're not. Serious weakness at right back, goal keeper, centre midfield and dug out. Ronaldo makes Fernandes a worse player for them. Their best player has just been neutered. 

Yep. Best part of all of this. He’s a bit of a flat track bully, but he’s still been their most important player more or less since he joined. He’s vastly better than Ronaldo on free kicks, which could be potentially hilarious if duties are swapped. 

Rashford, Ronaldo, Sancho, Fernandes, Cavani, Greenwood and Martial for maybe three spots. 

We should throw in a sly £5m bid for Martial. 

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

He's not that good at them, never has been I don't think.

He had his Roberto Carlos moment while playing for Utd when he scored a top quality one and has been considered a free kick expert ever since.

By top quality you mean he twatted the ball on the valve and the ball swerved everywhere he had no control over it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

By top quality you mean he twatted the ball on the valve and the ball swerved everywhere he had no control over it. 

It was no Sinisa Mihajlovic free kick granted...but it's the one that stood out and gave him the reputation.

he's still scored a fair few free kicks but he takes loads so you'd expect him to.

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yep. Best part of all of this. He’s a bit of a flat track bully, but he’s still been their most important player more or less since he joined. He’s vastly better than Ronaldo on free kicks, which could be potentially hilarious if duties are swapped. 

Rashford, Ronaldo, Sancho, Fernandes, Cavani, Greenwood and Martial for maybe three spots. 

We should throw in a sly £5m bid for Martial. 

I wouldn't swap Origi or Martial, he's an Arsenal player if ever there was one.

5 hours ago, No2 said:

When was the last time we have had a transfer fail publicly the way City have had this week? They lost Sanchez, Maguire, Messi, Kane and now Ronaldo. I can't remember our last one, Luke Young maybe?

They pulled out of Maguire didnt they?

7 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

If he goes there then it confirms that fans of other clubs, not happy with transfer policy, are perfectly entitled to break into their stadium and cause fixtures to be called off.

They will, of course, receive praise from Sky Sports for doing so and their owners will immediately spunk a gazillion up the wall by way of an apology to the long suffering fans.

A precedent has been set. 

Worth a go I reckon.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Nobody's doubting it would have helped, that it was the sum total of our issues last season, which seems to be many peoples view (whether they're simplifying it or not) is an entirely different matter.

If Konate was our target, and reports say a move was discussed in January but Leipzig weren't selling (presumably the release clause wasn't active in January?) and he was our main target I can understand why they'd wait to get the player they want and sign a stop gap in the mean time especially if the drop off from him to the next in line was significant.

If we went in to the season with three centre backs and one of them was injured we'd have been fine, if two of them had been injured it would be unfortunate but we'd have managed, to have three go plus three 6's (1 minor granted) wasn't seen by anyone and isn't an every season occurrence.

We have to put this in context. Matip and Gomez have both had major injuries throughout their Liverpool careers - they were going to get injured. Make no mistake about it, our plan was "we'll be alright as long as vvd is fit" - which considering his record might have been a gamble worth making, especially as the 1st part of the season was 1 month closer to the next window than normal. I can accept that. What happened in January was shocking and completely unacceptable. 

Even if we did go for konate in January, the lad was recovering from a major injury and he would have been expected to be our main man. I don't buy it. And waiting for him till the summer wrote last season off. Honestly, I can't get into this idea he's the only centre back on the planet. He's a kid who's barely played the game due to injury, his level can't possibly be that high. There's centre backs all over the world. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but in the same way mane, Robertson, kostas and Jota weren't first choices and it hasn't hurt us because the difference maker is klopp, I'm sure we could have found a centre back. Or just paid a few quid more and got kabak in the door for Jan 1 instead of waiting for a deadline bargain and then as he came in so late, klopp wouldn't even play him. 

I genuinely can't believe anyone would try to defend January. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is a special kind of head-in-the-sand post, I'm actually kind of impressed.

Anything good we do, it's down to Klopp (not Edwards, and certainly not FSG). So when we buy no one, it's "we're rubbish, everyone else has strengthened, #FSGOUT." 

But then we go and win the league, and rather than saying "I was wrong, hold my hand up" the response is "well, it was all down to Klopp, he did it despite the handicap of the owners, etc." Which is a genius way of looking at evidence that contradicts your own position - just ignore it!

So now again this summer we're repeating all of these same, interminable arguments, and Beefy here has employed a new approach. It's all "it would be simple to just go out and buy someone to improve our 5th-best attacker." Which is actually fair enough, I would tend to agree with it, even. I'd be interested to read a discussion on which players could maybe fit the bill.

But when he's asked "go on, then, it doesn't seem that simple to me, who do you think is out there that we could get for the kinds of prices we historically pay that would improve that position?" his answer is just "beats me!"

So, the logic is:
- FSG is rubbish, and the man they employ to run the club's recruitment is hamstrung or incompetent or both
- BUT FSG and that same man built the best squad in the history of our club and won the CL and league
- AND any idiot could easily find a player to make that squad measurably better
- BUT not me, because that's not my job, I don't actually know of any players who would make it better

If you think for one second that I’m going to go and dig out names across the internet for that gimp you are out of your mind.

Great you like the owners. Yeah they are boss business men, I doff my hat.

But with on the pitch matters they are garbage. No other manager, Guardiola, Tuchel, Pochettino, could have won the league and cl with this squad. Not a fucking chance. A squad that relies on the same 11 players to be constantly fit. A team that relies on competition sacrifice to compete. A team that relies on the charismatic nature and drive of a once in a generation manager.

My point and a few on here is that the lack of strengthing per season has caught us up.

Forget Covid - fsg hardly spent before the pandemic, so to use it as an excuse now is frankly pathetic. More than likely they were ready to cash in their chips and sell one of our assets but Covid scuppered it because the big Spanish two had no cash.

Fact remains, whether you, Scott or dockers like it, the lack of investment is going to hurt us in two years when the golden goose retires. We will have several high profile players on the wrong side of 31. Vdv, salah, firmino, Henderson, Thiago, matip, mane. Fabinho and Alisson will be touching thirty and thirty respectively.

So how do fsg and their current rigid model afford a rebuild? They haven’t bothered to put a plan in place over the last few years so where do they get the cash from without selling an asset? They won’t fund anything out of their own pot. Ffs they were paying for the stadium through the clubs revenue. Says everything about them. 

They only fund transfers through sales and we only fund big transfers through big sales.

Any owner that runs a football club business first, pitch second gets no backing from me. 

The only reason there’s been no uproar with the fans over their decision making is because Klopp is still here. When he’s gone the unrest will start.

They haven’t looked at the longer term picture of sustainable success. Yeah klopps here and it’s great, enjoy it people say but we’ll be back to where we were before he arrived. Top half finish and struggling to attract big names.

The only thing that can turn our fortunes going forward is if Jurgen pulls another miracle and we win the league or the cl this season that may give us the opportunity to spend some money.

But I wouldn’t bank on it.

So maybe you can answer the question. How do we replace the key components of this team

In the next two years if we keep crying poverty?

I’ll wait.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If you think for one second that I’m going to go and dig out names across the internet for that gimp you are out of your mind.

Great you like the owners. Yeah they are boss business men, I doff my hat.

But with on the pitch matters they are garbage. No other manager, Guardiola, Tuchel, Pochettino, could have won the league and cl with this squad. Not a fucking chance. A squad that relies on the same 11 players to be constantly fit. A team that relies on competition sacrifice to compete. A team that relies on the charismatic nature and drive of a once in a generation manager.

My point and a few on here is that the lack of strengthing per season has caught us up.

Forget Covid - fsg hardly spent before the pandemic, so to use it as an excuse now is frankly pathetic. More than likely they were ready to cash in their chips and sell one of our assets but Covid scuppered it because the big Spanish two had no cash.

Fact remains, whether you, Scott or dockers like it, the lack of investment is going to hurt us in two years when the golden goose retires. We will have several high profile players on the wrong side of 31. Vdv, salah, firmino, Henderson, Thiago, matip, mane. Fabinho and Alisson will be touching thirty and thirty respectively.

So how do fsg and their current rigid model afford a rebuild? They haven’t bothered to put a plan in place over the last few years so where do they get the cash from without selling an asset? They won’t fund anything out of their own pot. Ffs they were paying for the stadium through the clubs revenue. Says everything about them. 

They only fund transfers through sales and we only fund big transfers through big sales.

Any owner that runs a football club business first, pitch second gets no backing from me. 

The only reason there’s been no uproar with the fans over their section making is because Klopp is still here. When he’s gone the unrest will start.

They haven’t looked at the longer term picture of sustainable success. Yeah klopps here and it’s great, enjoy it people say but we’ll be back to where we were before he arrived. Top half finish and struggling to attract big names.

The only thing that can turn our fortunes going forward is if Jurgen pulls another miracle and we win the league or the cl this season that may give us the opportunity to spend some money.

But I wouldn’t bank on it.

So maybe you can answer the question. How do we replace the key components of this team

In the next two years if we keep crying poverty?

I’ll wait.

If we win the League or the European Cup this season will you let Scott M slap you across your face with his cock? 

Another dreary waste of a transfer window.

Letting Gini leave was criminal and yet again we neglect to use our pulling power. All our rivals have strengthened considerably and we are happy to approach the season with a squad of minimal size. If we get any injuries or players in bad form it's going to get ugly in here. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

My favourite part of this rambling post is when you complain that in a few years some of our best players will be 31.

The thing that brought about this rant? The fact that United just signed a player who is ... 36.

• Upvote 1

Really thought we’d have a chance of landing Haaland next summer till I’ve just read how much wages he’s after and the kickbacks to his agent and his dad so fuck that. 

We were asleep at the wheel passing on him and taking Minamino instead.

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Really thought we’d have a chance of landing Haaland next summer till I’ve just read how much wages he’s after and the kickbacks to his agent and his dad so fuck that. 

Every big club in Europe was asleep at the wheel.  It was surprising at the time though, as everyone was fully aware of his talent.  

He's brilliant, though I'm not happy with giving any money to Raiola, the fat parasitic cunt, so am happy to pass. 

10 minutes ago, Red74 said:

If he didn't have that fucking grin on him all game scaring kids in the mountains for decades I reckon he'd be here 

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Every big club in Europe was asleep at the wheel.  It was surprising at the time though, as everyone was fully aware of his talent.  

He's brilliant, though I'm not happy with giving any money to Raiola, the fat parasitic cunt, so am happy to pass. 

£40m for Raiola and £20m for Big Alf 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

If he didn't have that fucking grin on him all game scaring kids in the mountains for decades I reckon he'd be here 

If I knew I was gonna be getting 800 bags paid into my Panama bank account every week next season I’d be sacrificing kids on the mountains while wearing a goats head