You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Davies

Megadrive Man

Getting some attention: January 2021 - Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion | Page 430 | PNE-Online (pne-online.net)

They rate him, I think it's clearly going to be a big step up for the guy. Very low risk for us, looks to have a good touch. Just a matter of how he handles the quicker feet of forwards at this level (and adapt to our tactics).

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Just had a glance on a Preston forum to see how high they rate him and the answer is not that very high at all. They think that when we scouted him we must have been spiked with acid.

Which one is that? The general consensus here is that he’s been very good for them.

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/january-2021-transfer-window-rumours-and-discussion.3432122/page-421

Mate of mine is mates with a lad who plays cricket with a fella whose lad plays for Prestons first team...yeah i know fucking convoluted!...anyway....

He had this reply off him when asked for his opinion...

Said he’s left footed and said similar about the Celtic move to what has been suggested on here already.

Also said he’s more of a baller (whatever that means, strange language to me that) than traditional old fashioned/lower league centre halves.

Likes playing out and is comfortable doing so which is maybe why he’s on our “budgeted” radar!

Who is Ben Davies? 'A real steady Eddie'

Former Preston and Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson

Ben Davies has done well at Preston and has let his contract run down so he was going to move on in the summer. If he'd gone to Celtic, which I'd heard had been agreed, then I was thinking he could do well there, but being honest I didn't really see him as being good enough to be on Liverpool's radar.

He's a real steady Eddie. He's left-footed and quick enough but he's not got phenomenal pace or anything like that.

He's been good in the Championship, very good.

But I've watched him and thought, up against the extra nous and quality you get in the Premier League, on top of extra pace, it will be a test for him. You wouldn't want to just throw him in to face Manchester City next Sunday, put it that way.

This is obviously a great move for him, I just can't see him getting near the first team. Nat Phillips has done well when he's come in and he is probably a better player.

So, Davies would be behind him and also Rhys Williams, so even before Joel Matip comes back and the other two long-term injured players - Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez - he is going to be below them on the list. And Fabinho and Jordan Henderson too.

I am not sure he will play very much at Liverpool, but the experience alone should be fabulous. I hope he experiences playing in the first team, but even if he is just sitting on the bench then it is still great for him.

He has come through the ranks at Preston, learned his trade with loan spells in the lower divisions and improved a lot. He has done really well.

Regardless of whether he gets a chance or not, it is a great move for him and Ben is a lovely lad. I've got to know him over the years and with people like that, you just think 'great opportunity and good luck to you'.

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Ben Davies has done well at Preston and has let his contract run down so he was going to move on in the summer. If he'd gone to Celtic, which I'd heard had been agreed, then I was thinking he could do well there, but being honest I didn't really see him as being good enough to be on Liverpool's radar.

He's a real steady Eddie. He's left-footed and quick enough but he's not got phenomenal pace or anything like that.

But I've watched him and thought, up against the extra nous and quality you get in the Premier League, on top of extra pace, it will be a test for him. You wouldn't want to just throw him in to face Manchester City next Sunday, put it that way.

This is obviously a great move for him, I just can't see him getting near the first team. Nat Phillips has done well when he's come in and he is probably a better player.

So, Davies would be behind him and also Rhys Williams, so even before Joel Matip comes back and the other two long-term injured players - Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez - he is going to be below them on the list. And Fabinho and Jordan Henderson too.

I am not sure he will play very much at Liverpool, but the experience alone should be fabulous. I hope he experiences playing in the first team, but even if he is just sitting on the bench then it is still great for him.

He has come through the ranks at Preston, learned his trade with loan spells in the lower divisions and improved a lot. He has done really well.

Regardless of whether he gets a chance or not, it is a great move for him and Ben is a lovely lad. I've got to know him over the years and with people like that, you just think 'great opportunity and good luck to you'.

That doesn't sound promising does it ?

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

A lot less than 2m

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

That doesn't sound promising does it ?

Sounds to me like we've had to pay Preston for them to take van der Berg on loan. FSG Out.

6 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Hopefully Lawrenson is wrong as otherwise it is a totally pointless signing, we need someone to come in and play otherwise what is the point.

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Mate of mine is mates with a lad who plays cricket with a fella whose lad plays for Prestons first team...yeah i know fucking convoluted!...anyway....

He had this reply off him when asked for his opinion...

Said he’s left footed and said similar about the Celtic move to what has been suggested on here already.

Also said he’s more of a baller (whatever that means, strange language to me that) than traditional old fashioned/lower league centre halves.

Likes playing out and is comfortable doing so which is maybe why he’s on our “budgeted” radar!

I actually play cricket against someone who plays for Preston. 

43 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Questionable if he is good enough long term. 

Mustafi seems to be the other option and would cause issues needing to make a squad place for him. 

If this guy just fills the gap the rest of the year he can easily be sold on in the summer for probably double what we paid for him,only going cheap because his deal is up in the summer

If he's decent, we can keep him and let Michael Edwards go and do his thing and get another £20M for Nat Philips!