You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New European super league?

1892-LFCWasBorn

3 minutes ago, Baltar said:

The European Super League will replace the UEFA Champions League. We won't be ditching the Premier League, that's totally absurd. But the big clubs have been going on about this for years, they're fed up of UEFA making so much money and the clubs feel they should get a bigger share. They've always threatened a breakaway league to force UEFA to handover more prize money. Looks like it's finally going to happen. I can't say I mind too much as long as it's not a closed shop, i.e. teams should only qualify for the super league if they finish in a qualifying position in their domestic league.

Everton should be barred.

8 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'd have thought that UEFA might have something to say about this unless they're involved with setting it up.

But the FA and the premier league can fuck off. I'm tired of seeing the same incompetence every time we have a big match and the cover up that ensues.

Not sure. Im pretty certain we arent the only club that is royally fucked off with our players being taken away for international breaks and games whether they are injured or not and coming back from injuries etc and, there being fuck all the clubs can do.

UEFA are just part of the FIFA cabal regarding this and an independent league could potentially thumb their noses at FIFA's demands. If the players are paid enough, I dont think many would be that fussed about missing World Cups, European championships and the like.

Didnt Kerry Packer do something similar for cricket years ago?

Who'd be arsed? Most other European leagues are nowhere near as strong as they used to be and most of the big clubs no longer as big a draw as they once were, even Barca are a state and Chris Smalling and Ashley Young are considered stars of Serie A. The Premiership is what most fans would rather watch.  

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I think Liverpool and the Mancs knew that Project Big Picture would be met with scepticism and dissent, so this has leaked as their next salvo to get the PL, FA and EFL to talk about the future of the domestic game properly. The two club have by far the biggest pull of any English sides, and they know the PL and the FA need them.

In any case, the trouble with a competition where the big European sides play each other every week is that it will quickly lose its lustre, because the very fixtures that are currently so attractive and draw all the interest will become so much more mundane. In the current CL format, the bigger sides are quite likely to meet every year, but there are a lot of games against teams who don't have that same pull. For competitive interest, the balance is necessary.

spot on. this is phase 2 of project big picture. 

54 minutes ago, Baltar said:

The European Super League will replace the UEFA Champions League. We won't be ditching the Premier League, that's totally absurd. But the big clubs have been going on about this for years, they're fed up of UEFA making so much money and the clubs feel they should get a bigger share. They've always threatened a breakaway league to force UEFA to handover more prize money. Looks like it's finally going to happen. I can't say I mind too much as long as it's not a closed shop, i.e. teams should only qualify for the super league if they finish in a qualifying position in their domestic league.

it's not absurd at all - i think it is a genuine threat to get their own way on the big picture. it was leaked last week that liverpool and man united are prepared to drop out of the PL and join the EFL and they assume the TV money would follow them, which was met with from leaks from other PL clubs "we'll fight you over the european places" - this is the retaliation to that. so today is the finishing of a picture where we go to play in the EFL, we play international games in the european premier leage and as this is fifa backed, i assume then plays into their larger club world cup they want. now i think the likely outcome is we stay in the PL and the CL, but both competitions are completely reconstructed. Just like we want changes to the PL, there has also been work to grant automatic qualification to the CL to teams of historic significance and to have more european games (including of a weekend). imo, this whole aim is to slim down the PL, put the big clubs in charge, beef up the ECL but guarantee us and the mancs entry into that and find time in the calendar for the 24 team fifa WCC. but if we don't get what we want, i think they absolutely would walk away to the EFL and this new european premier league. 

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Who'd be arsed? Most other European leagues are nowhere near as strong as they used to be and most of the big clubs no longer as big a draw as they once were, even Barca are a state and Chris Smalling and Ashley Young are considered stars of Serie A. The Premiership is what most fans would rather watch.  

That wouldn’t be the case after a couple of seasons of it though.  Each club be getting similar money from a European Superleague rather than English clubs getting vast amounts more.  You would see more of the top players playing against each other more often rather than just swatting away domestic teams every week.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Most of the PL is shite too.

Which is why us and City have hoovered up pretty much all the points over last three years.

2 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

What would it be instead of? The PL?

I think the idea is to run it instead of the champions league.  Reduce the size of the premier league and sack off the league cup and potentially the FA Cup.  They would want the fixtures played of a weekend though so that the Americans can watch it meaning the premier league games would be midweek or on open weekends.  You would think they would be trying to get the amount of pointless international games reduced as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I think the idea is to run it instead of the champions league.  Reduce the size of the premier league and sack off the league cup and potentially the FA Cup.  They would want the fixtures played of a weekend though so that the Americans can watch it meaning the premier league games would be midweek or on open weekends.  You would think they would be trying to get the amount of pointless international games reduced as well.

and international games would seem even more pointless to the owners of the big clubs ... they pay millions in wages only to lose the players and have those assets potentially ruined making money for someone else. 

2 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Given what we’ve seen this last few days, it wouldn’t bother me. If you’d have mentioned it a week ago I’d have been against it. But now? Fuck it, do it. Our League is incompetent as fuck. Anything that puts us in another League to them Heysel loving cunts can only be a good thing. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The revamped world club cup was supposed to take place in China in summer 2021. Us, Real Madrid and Bayern, Milan and Ajax  were all invited to it having won the European cup the last couple of seasons or more than 3 times  Boca, River, Flamengo and Corinthians from South America in a 24 team format with prize money of £100m.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

The revamped world club cup was supposed to take place in China in summer 2021. Us, Real Madrid and Bayern, Milan and Ajax  were all invited to it having won the European cup the last couple of seasons or more than 3 times  Boca, River, Flamengo and Corinthians from South America in a 24 team format with prize money of £100m.

i know fifa wanted to do it then in the confederations cup slot. but i don't think the clubs had agreed had they? 

My initial reaction is that its somehow wrong. But that ship also sailed about 25 years ago. We missed the first boat clinging to the past, and it took way to long to rectify it.

But my gut also tells me that it would be great to fuck over the likes of Everton, PGMOL, Martin Samuel ,Karen Brady and lately Jaime Carragher. 

• Upvote 1