You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's gone wrong defensively? 

Megadrive Man

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

he was supposed to be able to do all of those things you are saying he can't. Personally I think it's not a question of a good fit, i think he just doesn't have the quality to play at the level we need. 

I’m starting to come around your way of thinking there. He’s a decent footballer but probably not for our team, or the current vintage at least.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m starting to come around your way of thinking there. He’s a decent footballer but probably not for our team, or the current vintage at least.

He doesn't do anything better than most of our midfielders. About the only thing he has is a dribble, but he's not devastating with that. He looks to me like someone of he played for palace or Southampton and you saw him on motd a couple of times you might think he's useful, but once you watch him properly, you can just see he's very ordinary. Personally I would put Gini, fabinho, Henderson and thiago as I leading 4 midfielders, then I'd have keita behind Jones , with him, milner and chamberlain vying for 6th midfielder. 

• Upvote 1

So the right sided defenders can't defend, our back up keeper can't kick, we've made more individual defensive errors in the last few games than the whole of the previous 2 seasons and we've suddenly started to try and play offside like we were George Graham's Gunners but it's all down to one midfielder and if we change that one person all the other faults will go away.

This is pretty mental even for this place. Almost as mental as taking the player off and bringing on an attacking midfielder to shore up the defence.

Its a dramatic drop off to go from beating Chelsea away,to nil,and Arsenal at home conceding only one to losing 7-2 against a relegation dodging side. Having said that,how do you legislate for three deflected goals in one game and none of which would have gone in! The alarming part to me was how we reacted tactically by seeming to play an even higher line and not press the ball as much in midfield. Seemed strange.

10 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Do you reckon they all have Covid? That’s 4 confirmed cases now and I’m sorry that performance was completely out of step from what we’ve seen from us in past 4 years.

I’ve thought this. Maybe not COVID19 but for so many players to be completely off their game on Sunday, I do wonder if something is doing the rounds at Melwood. 

6 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Do you reckon they all have Covid? That’s 4 confirmed cases now and I’m sorry that performance was completely out of step from what we’ve seen from us in past 4 years.

I reckon that they all had to self isolate for a few days while they did all the testing.

I don't think you can test positive immediately there needs to be a bit of incubation before it will show up on a test, so they were playing it safe. 

Because of this they probably had little to no training sessions in the days prior to the villa game. 

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I reckon that they all had to self isolate for a few days while they did all the testing.

I don't think you can test positive immediately there needs to be a bit of incubation before it will show up on a test, so they were playing it safe. 

Because of this they probably had little to no training sessions in the days prior to the villa game. 

aren't they supposed to operate in little bubbles of 4 or 5 within the squad to prevent that? the idea being you have contact with 4 or 5, if one of them gets it there's a fair chance that group does, but it doesn't spread through the whole squad and the rest can carry one as normal?

Answer to question - no read any of the other posts apart from last page...

1) Lack of press from the front. There were a few instances v Leeds & Arsenal (although our pressing v Arsenal was generally excellent) where teams have got away.

The press was poor v Villa. Firmino, Keita, Wijnaldum... you can’t have half the team pressing and the other half not. It leaves huge gaps to get picked off in, which is what happened.

2) Individual mistakes. Robbo, VVD, Adrian. I’ve confidence 2 of them will sort themselves out.

3) Gomez. Despite a good display v Arsenal, he’s been a long way off top form for a while now. No coincidence that our best defensive display of the season was at Chelsea where he didn’t play. Fabinho needs a run in the side.

4) I don’t want to say attitude or mentality or something along those lines because I think that’s unfair, but the 2 games we should have had minimal problems in we struggled in and the 2 games we should have struggled in, we were absolutely dominant. 

We won the league by such a distance last season because every player showed up in every game before lockdown. Since then, it’s been obvious we were going to win it by a huge margin and we’ve seen even our most unflappable players in VVD, Alisson and Fabinho making basic mistakes. 

We can’t pick and chose when we want or feel the need to turn it on. Our high line etc is high risk and high reward and only works if every player 100% commits to it each week. We need to show the intensity we showed the majority of last season, otherwise we’ll be getting picked off more often. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Gomez played against Leeds, then was left out vs Chelsea. TAA was mysteriously missing in pre season.