You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

3 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Shaktar playing for a draw and Europa, even though a goal and the win would have taken them through to the final sixteen.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Concede a goal and they're out. It was a strange one alright but on balance the CL was for 1 round more and the Europa is a possibility to go a lot further.

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

Concede a goal and they're out. It was a strange one alright but on balance the CL was for 1 round more and the Europa is a possibility to go a lot further.

True enough. It probably does mean quite a bit more money.

And they were competing til late on.

Just looked a little strange.

There are far more intelligent people than me, who know a lot more about racism, however, it does seem a difficult thing to overcome and address when individuals within the same groups cannot come to a consensus on what is and isn't racist. 

I was listening to a podcast earlier where the black guy ( I don't know his name and its the easiest way to distinguish him) was arguing that to call anyone the black guy, is racist. The panelists, well meaning white fellas, I assume, then asked him to explain why to call someone black, is racist. I didn't feel the argument was particularly strong, however, they didn't seem to take much of an issue with it. I assume if Barnes was on, given what he has tweeted, he would have given a different view point and claimed its not racist and these panelists would have gone away with a completely different understanding of what is and isn't racist. 

You regularly hear people laugh at white people for trying to discuss racism. People say its not for a white person to tell a black person what is and isnt racist and what they should and shouldn't be offended by. I've heard people say that white people should listen and educate themselves on racism, however, as I say, quite often their is no consensus. Someone who has read John Barnes and thinks he is educating himself on race, will continue to think its OK to address someone as the black guy and could, through no apparent fault of their own, end up in quite a bit of trouble, when trying to do the right thing.

Bizarrely, this fella on the podcast earlier also said the idea of intent should be taken out of it. So again, you could find yourself well meaning, say the wrong thing, then get the book thrown at you when their was literally no malice intended. It's a slippery slope for me. 

• Upvote 1

If saying "the black lad" is the quickest way to identify the person ill say it, the same if it was any other race. If it was all white people but only one had blonde hair id do the same or if one person was in a wheel chair or had a leg missing. All different attributes and reasons but uniquely identifying at the time, nothing more, no sinister motives. All this assumes we don't know the names. Its not racist. If I used race or disability as a derogatory way to identify or demean somebody then its racist. The whole not in any context is bullshit, context is everything. No one race gets to decide what's racists and who is involved in the discussion, everybody is allowed an opinion whether its bullshit or not, though we don't always have to highlight the bullshit and let it shape the arguement.

Really feels like were going backwards. More lines and divisions creating more trenches and opposing sides and were digging deeper and deeper into the bullshit. Not just on race either.

• Upvote 3

Have to admit, I’m not overly concerned by anybody in the below...

C3C2C0C2-7DA8-41CD-8104-907CF8749CA5.png

Ideally we’d get Porto, Monchengladbach or Lazio. 

Sevilla & Leipzig would be trickier but I’d still expect us to come through. 

Atletico would be tough, but I feel we owe them. They wouldn’t be as good in an empty Wanda stadium either. 

I suppose it depends on which Barca shows up. If it’s the current version, I’d be confident. No doubt Koeman will be sacked by February with Xavi leading some sort of resurgence.

Whoever we get, they’ll be more worried about facing us than us facing them. 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Have to admit, I’m not overly concerned by anybody in the below...

C3C2C0C2-7DA8-41CD-8104-907CF8749CA5.png

Ideally we’d get Porto, Monchengladbach or Lazio. 

Sevilla & Leipzig would be trickier but I’d still expect us to come through. 

Atletico would be tough, but I feel we owe them. They wouldn’t be as good in an empty Wanda stadium either. 

I suppose it depends on which Barca shows up. If it’s the current version, I’d be confident. No doubt Koeman will be sacked by February with Xavi leading some sort of resurgence.

Whoever we get, they’ll be more worried about facing us than us facing them. 

Wouldnt want Atletico, Sevilla or Lazio. I know people want revenge of Atletico for knocking us out but at the same time, Porto want us again because they want revenge and fancy their chances, strange as it seems.

I dont like playing Italian teams, they seem to have too good a record against us for my liking.

I know we're good but football's a lottery now with VAR and any team left could knock us out if a VAR shitfest ensues. Fuck, Ive been brainwashed by Creator and DrowningMan!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Arnaud said:

It might not be racist what the guy said, but at best it was very clumsy, bad inappropriate ! 

Racism is very strong in Eastern Europe unfortunately.  It’s a cultural racism, a patronizing sense of superiority.

It's a bit rich for the French and British, for example, to pontificate about racism in "Eastern Europe", don't you think?

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

It's a bit rich for the French and British, for example, to pontificate about racism in "Eastern Europe", don't you think?

I don't think we need to rank which nations are the most tolerant. There's definitely a massive racism problem in Eastern Europe. No need to point fingers at others when people are simply pointing that out.

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I said so because the referee was from Romania, and I spent several years in different Eastern countries, and that’s a reality. 

And I totally agree this is also an issue in France.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think we need to rank which nations are the most tolerant. There's definitely a massive racism problem in Eastern Europe. No need to point fingers at others when people are simply pointing that out.

I'm not talking about ahistorical ranking of racism or tolerance. I'm talking about citizens of nations built on the oppression, exploitation, and brutalisation (i.e., racist dehumanisation) of other nations smugly judging entire cultures in "Eastern Europe,," where this is definitively not the case.

11 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I'm not talking about ahistorical ranking of racism or tolerance. I'm talking about citizens of nations built on the oppression, exploitation, and brutalisation (i.e., racist dehumanisation) of other nations smugly judging entire cultures in "Eastern Europe,," where this is definitively not the case.

There's a form of racism everywhere, undeniably. But it comes across as defensive when the subject comes up about Eastern Europe because of the PSG-Istanbul incident and the Romanian ref, and the response is, "well actually your people are racist too".

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

There's a form of racism everywhere, undeniably. But it comes across as defensive when the subject comes up about Eastern Europe because of the PSG-Istanbul incident and the Romanian ref, and the response is, "well actually your people are racist too".

I'm Irish. I'm not defensive of Romania or Romanians. However, I've lived in Central and Eastern Europe for 14 years. I'm under no illusions about problems of racism there. But I try to place them in context when I confront them.

Here I'm simply commenting on the smug attitudes of certain individuals from certain parts of the world about other cultures. Especially when these attitudes are historically short-sighted, to put it diplomatically.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I'm Irish. I'm not defensive of Romania or Romanians. However, I've lived in Central and Eastern Europe for 14 years. I'm under no illusions about problems of racism there. But I try to place them in context when I confront them.

Here I'm simply commenting on the smug attitudes of certain individuals from certain parts of the world about other cultures. Especially when these attitudes are historically short-sighted, to put it diplomatically.

I think there’s plenty to discuss on this and we could go on for hours no doubt so I’ll get right to it, during those 14 years which country in your opinion had the best looking women?

36 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Accusing someone of patronizing attitude in a most patronizing sounding comment is so meta, kudos to him. As is virtue signalling about racism whilst judging people collectively based on your on prejudice. As I sad, the lack of self-awareness is really staggering here. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Accusing someone of patronizing attitude in a most patronizing sounding comment is so meta, kudos to him. As is virtue signalling about racism whilst judging people collectively based on your on prejudice. As I sad, the lack of self-awareness is really staggering here. 

The relevant piece of news that started this discussion is the incident with the Romanian ref, hence it's topical to discuss the racial issues we often see in Eastern Europe.

I don't really know what your problem is or why that should make you mad, but it clearly did, and it's not real pleasant the way you're bashing Arnaud for simply commenting on that. It's not a commentary about France not being racist because he's from there.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The relevant piece of news that started this discussion is the incident with the Romanian ref, hence it's topical to discuss the racial issues we often see in Eastern Europe.

I don't really know what your problem is or why that should make you mad, but it clearly did, and it's not real pleasant the way you're bashing Arnaud for simply commenting on that. It's not a commentary about France not being racist because he's from there.

The lack of self-awareness when it comes to cultural imperialism by Westerners is actually hilarious, how they lecture societies they made no effort whatsoever to understand, assuming every culture should just adopt their cultural patterns, in this case regarding racism. For example, racism in Eastern Europe is fairly different from racism in the US, which is different from racism in the UK or France, because the history of racial relations is different. Eastern European societies are typically mono-racial, since they usually don't have the history of colonialism, slave trade, high levels if immigration. Using someone's race as a distinctive feature is fairly innocous since it has no historic overtones, it does not come with a baggage of enslaving people, building your cities on slave trade, killing millions under brutal colonial rule like in Congo for example. So, describing someone as "that black guy" in a group of non-black people, if this is everything that was said, would have been the same as that bald guy or tall guy etc. Using this as a basis to paint Eastern Europeans as patronizing (?) racist is quite a leap.