You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

13 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Your support for holocaust and paedo jokes. Weird shit dude. I prefer your trans stuff TBH. 

It comes as no surprise you are having trouble keeping up.  I’m not providing a translation for the slow-learner kids.  Google that Holocaust joke and see if you think it’s funny.  

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes.  It’s ok to joke about anything.  As ever, people generally think it’s ok until it’s the thing they don’t like.  

Take that joke, he doesn’t say he sent the letters, he just says he thought about it.  It’s purely to shock, no imaginary children were bummed and it got some surprising pearl clutchers on here. 

I wouldn't go as far as saying "it's alright to joke about anything" (as, if I remember correctly, you and I have argued over specific "jokes" in the past) but I agree with you on this one. As bad taste jokes go, it's far from the worst.

Also, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when he's talking about bullying that kid and he says "the funny thing is that we knew..." I read it as meaning it's odd or ironic, rather than actually "funny". I don't think that the adult Baddiel thinks that the cruel shit he used to do is a laff-riot.

He's bang out of order using the bloke's real name, though.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Did even SD think Corbyn deliberately pronounced Jeffery Epstein in a way to make him sound more Jewish ? The Baddiel cunt pretended he did to get some kudos on twitter. You say he criticised Corbyn on a/s , I say he lied and exaggerated about it for his own agenda.

Yeah but if you think this was a bit of a cunts trick you presumably hate Jewish people.

Logical when you think about it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

But that’s not what he said is it? He created imaginary 14 ur old fans, then said he thought about replying asking for anal sex. He didn’t so it.  It’s a standard shock gag. Something say Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr or countless comedians could have made.   

It would probally help if he was actually funny.

46 minutes ago, Pidge said:

All the Tories rolling out the buzzwords to drive through their human rights reforms. Always been a dog whistle.

Cunts.

It's almost impressive the way they (and their attack dogs in the tabloids) convince millions of people to oppose human rights, without stopping to think "wait a minute... I'm human! These are my rights!"

• Upvote 1

Author has her book on childbirth recommended.  Someone pops up and says the authors views are ‘problematic’ and the recommendation should be taken down.  Person tries to be reasonable but that’s not good enough.  Instagram account holder becomes scared for her job for simply recommending a book about childbirth on a childbirth account.  Cancel culture when you aren’t rich or famous.  

26 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Author has her book on childbirth recommended.  Someone pops up and says the authors views are ‘problematic’ and the recommendation should be taken down.  Person tries to be reasonable but that’s not good enough.  Instagram account holder becomes scared for her job for simply recommending a book about childbirth on a childbirth account.  Cancel culture when you aren’t rich or famous.  

Is it "cancel culture" or is it just a sanctimonious dick on social media being sanctimonious and dickish?  It looks, from those screenshots, that "Positive Birth Edinburgh" aren't doing anything in response to that person's gripe about the author, so nobody has been in any way cancelled.

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is it "cancel culture" or is it just a sanctimonious dick on social media being sanctimonious and dickish?  It looks, from those screenshots, that "Positive Birth Edinburgh" aren't doing anything in response to that person's gripe about the author, so nobody has been in any way cancelled.

If you read further you’ll see they have.  And that the owner of the site is worried about her job.  

On 14/12/2021 at 20:24, Rico1304 said:

Yep, any women speaking out are mentally ill.  Every time. 

I reckon Baddiel is mentally ill. 

He seems to think he was some kind of comedian, when really he was just like a crusty winnet.

A crusty winnet that clings to the hairs on your arse when you’ve not wiped properly (apparently)

This is what Baddiel was like that when he clung on to Newman and Skinners careers. 

One of the most unfunny cunts ever to try his hand in comedy. 

At least Oberman and Riley are (at minimum) good looking. He looks like a rejected Spitting Image puppet from series one.

11 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

He seems to think he was some kind of comedian, when really he was just like a crusty winnet.

A crusty winnet that clings to the hairs on your arse when you’ve not wiped properly (apparently)

This is what Baddiel was like that when he clung on to Newman and Skinners careers. 

At least Oberman and Riley are (at minimum) good looking. He looks like a rejected Spitting Image puppet from series one.

Ranganathan is basically Baddiel if Baddiel had been murdered and left under a bed to balloon for 10 days. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Opinions hey.  Funny how all these unfunny cunts are millionaires, from being, well funny. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

If you read further you’ll see they have.  And that the owner of the site is worried about her job.  

Sorry, just not getting "scared" or "worried" from those tweets; "angry" and "pissed off" are what I am sensing. 

More generally, is it fair to criticise someone's book because of views they have expressed online that have nothing or little to do with said book?

I don't think there is a general answer. If a forumite recommened a Jerry Pournelle (American sci-fi writer from the 80s) novel, I'd be inclined to point out Pournelle's extreme right politics and admiration for a white supremacist writer.

Personally I'll never read a Neil Oliver book because I have heard the nonsense he spouts (imho) on GB News. I would probably mention that if anyone on here recommended one of his books. That is probably unfair of me as I imagine his work on, say, ancient Britain is historically sound and well written.

Would I disparage the Harry Potter books because of J K Rowlings views on transgender issues - no. Would I buy another of her books knowing her views - no.