You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

8 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Your right, it does very clearly. Must have had a good agent when he was negotiating his wages with us

He was a top player coming off a Champions League final victory. He could have negotiated himself if he wanted to.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was a top player coming off a Champions League final victory. He could have negotiated himself if he wanted to.

I dont think he could with that kind of playing record. It was a calculated risk that was worth taking at the time but the terms were weighed heavily in his favour     

4 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Of course traders make loss, its the nature of the game. But those 'in the know' about an upcoming emergency budget making millions is a totally different story.

Exactly. People like Odin who was a previous employer of kwarteng and within his inner circle. So yes, lots of people lost money. But not those who were controlling his actions and we're able to short our currency before the budget. 

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

It's not spinning anything, it's factual information in the context of talking to people who understand how many games we play.

Presenting a proportional analysis with no comparator data to provide perspective would be spin... After all there are numerous reasons why a player might not play. Not just injury, there are also players in form in the way.

El Rojo's comment that I was disagreeing with was suggesting that Thiago only being available for five minutes of this season was predictable for the medical team. I said it's not, he's actually been available for much more than that over most of his time here (while also highlighting that his time has suffered because he has struggled to be consistently available). You haven't posted a single thing that contradicts that. And you can't. Because it's not "spin".

Struggles with fitness or not, regardless of whether or not he was a wise signing, the idea that he's a wage thief happy to sit on the sidelines just doesn't ring true at all, for me. He's always been fighting to get back in, unlike others we've had in the past.

His availability during his time with us has been absolutely abysmal as shown by the stats I posted.

There is no other way of interpreting or describing those facts.

You for example talked about how he played in 28 games last season - what you left out was the context and the fact that in 4 of them he was a sub and those 4 apperances total barely 90 mins and those 90 mins of sub appearances are bookended by an 8 game absence before them and a 6 game absence following them (league games only).....Which then continued into this season where he didn't kick a ball for us until Jan - and we all know what happened next.

As I said he started 14 league games last season, 17 the one before, 20 the one before that....

His availability has been absolutely abysmal for us and any sort of claims to the contrary are frankly laughable.

34% of our league mins in his 4 seasons with us. 51 starts out of a possible 152.

Total league appearances - 68 out of a possible 152. Let's face it when he was fit he starts, those sub appearances are all around returnns from his latest injury.

Only 98 appearances in total.

As it stands he has appeared in 98 games for us....we've played 208 in his time so far with us - that 208 will rise to over 220 by end of the season.

OK he may not have been picked (if he was actually available) in some milk cup and fa cup games, but more often than not he wasn't anyway.

Sadly despite his obvious quality he has been a abysmal waste of money.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

This weekend he hits the £6million mark that this club has paid him since the start of the season. He's played 5 minutes of football, although he has been known to pull sympathetic faces at those less fortunate than himself. 

26,000 people in Liverpool regularly use food banks. 

Hope everyone's OK with that. 

He's starving the kids.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Confirmed he is leaving at the end of the season. 

He is a fantastic footballer and hasnt done anything malicious towards this club and when available I think he has given his all. 

To be honest it's almost as if he'd left already.

• Upvote 1

What this signing will do more than anything is put to bed all chances of us signing top-class established players close to/over 30.

I’m OK with that. Many people aren’t.

2 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

Confirmed he is leaving at the end of the season. 

He is a fantastic footballer and hasnt done anything malicious towards this club and when available I think he has given his all. 

What if Alonso wants to keep him?

IMG_0175.jpeg

1 hour ago, lebron said:

What this signing will do more than anything is put to bed all chances of us signing top-class established players close to/over 30.

I’m OK with that. Many people aren’t.

Does it really? We bought a lad who spent his entire career with injury issues. Until this last year, he was pretty consistent in missing large parts of each season. It's got worse the last year. But absolutely nobody could be surprised at the number of appearances he made. He's gone to shit this year, but all comps he averaged 33 games per year at Bayern for example and before this season 32 games per year for us (which will fall to 24 games per season at the end of this season). Surely we didn't expect improvement and logic would say as he got older, it would get worse, especially as this is a more physical league. 

I think the only thing it should have taught us, is don't buy crocks. There was plenty of talk in the summer that one of the key things we were looking for in players, was availability. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Does it really? We bought a lad who spent his entire career with injury issues. Until this last year, he was pretty consistent in missing large parts of each season. It's got worse the last year. But absolutely nobody could be surprised at the number of appearances he made. He's gone to shit this year, but all comps he averaged 33 games per year at Bayern for example and before this season 32 games per year for us (which will fall to 24 games per season at the end of this season). Surely we didn't expect improvement and logic would say as he got older, it would get worse, especially as this is a more physical league. 

I think the only thing it should have taught us, is don't buy crocks. There was plenty of talk in the summer that one of the key things we were looking for in players, was availability. 

This is correct. Buying Gary Mac didn't do us any harm. Luka Modric is 6st piss wet through and I can't remember him ever being injured.

We had never signed instant world class before. We gambled. Looked at the price, wages. Didn't come off. The end.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Dapower said:

Mind the door on the way out don’t want you hurt lad 

IMG_1852.png

Never understood this way of thinking. He didn't sign himself. I get the impression he likes the club. He's clearly class and he's clearly injury prone. It just didn't work out. We gambled and lost. When he did get a run of games he was absolute quality.

• Upvote 5