You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

12 minutes ago, Ashberry said:

The end of contract injury. Happens often, I only remember Emre Can who was ever honest about it. Get injured at this stage and he'll struggle to find another club come summer. He won't be playing for us again.

The bloke was in tears when he missed the final a couple of  years ago. He's a top pro as well as a great player. I cannot understand the idea that such a player sits there happy that his body has packed up. It's probably soul destroying for him.

• Upvote 7

41 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

The bloke was in tears when he missed the final a couple of  years ago. He's a top pro as well as a great player. I cannot understand the idea that such a player sits there happy that his body has packed up. It's probably soul destroying for him.

But he's not happy at Liverpool FC's expense. An unusually poor signing overall. Great technical player but utterly useless to the club and overshadowed by far less technically gifted players who are almost always fit for selection. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It sounds like klopp has at last reached where many of us where months ago. He can't even be arsed checking in on him now. 

Or, without projecting yourself onto Klopp, it sounds like what Klopp always says about anyone's injuries: he goes on what the medical team tells him.

Yeah pretty sure Thiago would be more likely to receive a hefty contract from a top club if he played consistently for the last 3 months of the season and helped us win a couple of trophies, rather than going into negotiations with 5 minutes on the pitch in the last year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Or, without projecting yourself onto Klopp, it sounds like what Klopp always says about anyone's injuries: he goes on what the medical team tells him.

Or you can see him say "It's not a short-term thing and that's why I'm not 100% in it. ". It's a bloke who works for him and he's not really interested if or when he can turn up to work again. 

2 hours ago, Wicket said:

Gutting if his last performance in a red shirt is that 5 minutes at the end of the Arsenal game, very cruel way for it to end here.  

I'd say more sad than cruel - sadly him not being fit has been a constant theme of his time here and it looks like it is even gonna end with him not being fit.

15 hours ago, Wicket said:

Gutting if his last performance in a red shirt is that 5 minutes at the end of the Arsenal game, very cruel way for it to end here.  

We'll always have that swerving, outside of the boot goal in training from the other week.

I do feel for him as he's clearly a top level talent, I just love watching him with the ball at his feet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

We'll always have that swerving, outside of the boot goal in training from the other week.

I do feel for him as he's clearly a top level talent, I just love watching him with the ball at his feet.

We bought him far too late in his career and that was the problem. Klopp can usually work his magic on most players,but if they aren't available his hands are tied. See also Keita and the later career of Daniel Sturridge. Even Klopp got a bit from those two.

This weekend he hits the £6million mark that this club has paid him since the start of the season. He's played 5 minutes of football, although he has been known to pull sympathetic faces at those less fortunate than himself. 

26,000 people in Liverpool regularly use food banks. 

Hope everyone's OK with that. 

• Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

This weekend he hits the £6million mark that this club has paid him since the start of the season. He's played 5 minutes of football, although he has been known to pull sympathetic faces at those less fortunate than himself. 

The wage bill for the whole club is about £366m and they employ 1000 people so an average enployee is on £3.6m. A lot of that 1000 will be on less than £50k so it gives you an idea of how much the players are making. Meanwhile the clubs official charity gets given about £1m per year. Beer and circuses 

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

The wage bill for the whole club is about £366m and they employ 1000 people so an average enployee is on £3.6m. A lot of that 1000 will be on less than £50k so it gives you an idea of how much the players are making. Meanwhile the clubs official charity gets given about £1m per year. Beer and circuses 

I'd check your Maths there...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'd check your Maths there...

Sorry I’m posting too early in the morning. Obviously £360k but my wider point still stands, the club makes a reasonable number of people very rich whilst giving a relatively tiny amount to charity.

Biggest financial waste we ever had I think. The bogeyed midfielder, Sturridge bar his first couple of seasons and wor Andy I guess gets close in overall cost. Maybe a few others. Shake though the lad was a baller, probably the biggest disappointment along with Kewell for me when it comes down to exitement for a signing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

That says more about the state of football itself rather than Thiago personally.