You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peak Owen vs Peak Torres

Bjornebye

Peak Owen vs Peak Torres  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Peak Owen vs Peak Torres

Torres for me.

I dont know if I'm remembering it wrongly but Owen feels like a fantastic talent who never quite hit the heights I thought he would.

It's odd to say that of a European player of the year, however, when I think back to the Youth Cup run and that early buzz, he was the greatest young player I have ever seen and i thought he would dominate football in the way that players like Messi and Ronaldo have done, whilst obviously not the same type of player.

When he was coming through it's hard to imagine he would struggle to score 20 goals in a season.

14 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

@Bjornebye one here for you mate

God or Torres at their peak?

that is a good one - I'd have Fowler.

At their peak though none are near Suarez - a one man wrecking machine - the shot at Arsenal, the hardest header I have ever seen, beating keepers from the halfway then nutmegging fellas in the area.

Suarez>Fowler>Torres>Owen

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Had a slight fear that Torres might be a bit lightweight. Then he scored that goal against Chelsea in his first game, during which he also laughed at John Terry trying to intimidate him. 

That Reading cup game stands out. Couple of big grocks tried to kick him out of the game. Then he got a hattrick.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

At their peak though none are near Suarez - a one man wrecking machine - the shot at Arsenal, the hardest header I have ever seen, beating keepers from the halfway then nutmegging fellas in the area.

Suarez>Fowler>Torres>Owen

Yeah hard to argue with that. I'd have God over Torres as well

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Rush >>>Suarez>Fowler>Torres>Owen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Torres for me, he was a joy to watch.

I'd say Owen was a great goalscorer and Torres was a scorer of great goals.  Owen was a master craftsman and Torres was an artist.  It's one reason why Owen never inspired the same love that, say, Fowler did.  When Owen left, I thought we'd miss his goals, but I didn't think I'd miss him.  

"A joy to watch" is what I prefer in my players, otherwise... what's the point?

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Had a slight fear that Torres might be a bit lightweight. Then he scored that goal against Chelsea in his first game, during which he also laughed at John Terry trying to intimidate him. 

There was also that game at Reading, when the fuckers were kicking lumps out of him, but he just rode it out and scored a hat-trick.

2 hours ago, aws said:

Torres. Both fantastic players and great finishers. But I always thought that Owen was more reliant on the service he was getting whereas Torres was more capable of creating his own chances. 

This is spot on.

The had a few different qualities besides the pace.

Owens left foot was far better than Torres'.

Torres had a better physical presence. His heading was also better. 

Owens positioning in the box was better. 

Torres link up play was better.

Owen probably a bit more one dimensional, Torres with more flair and doing the unexpected. 

Owens game awareness was a bit better.

I'd go with putting them in this side not playing a false 9 and just imagine a playing on the shoulder striker. Then I'd pick prime Torres, but it's so close for me that it just aswell could have been Owen.

I'd take a prime Fowler over both every day of the week though.

• Upvote 1