You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Most serology or representative sample regular testing I've read about so far, commissioned by the authorities, gave similar findings (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, New York state) regarding the death rate: 0.25 to 0.8.  If you look at NY state, they had very high percentage of positive tests, so it can be expected that the actual number of cases is much higher then confirmed tests, 10 times, 15 times higher numbers are hardly surprising.

On 27/04/2020 at 00:17, Spy Bee said:

Why focus on one disease we haven't got a vaccine for, rather than all the other vaccines we have been able to develop. Immunity looks very likely post-infection, and risk rates to anybody healthy and under 60 are negligible. This is of course horrible for anybody at risk, but life will go on for the vast majority of people.

Righto, so you’re happy handing out such considered advice? 

Yeah, seems strange that fuck knows how many health professionals have already died from treating people, so if the virus sticks around or resurgence, just continue adding him a grist to the mill eh? This ones dead, can somebody send me another doctor.

epidimiologists have spoken about multiple peaks, what do you do with those who contract the virus during successive peaks? 
here elective surgeries are being re-introduced, but, travel in and out of the country and between states, is severely restricted, plus we have a lot less deaths and exposure.

Not for me, Clive.

https://www.3aw.com.au/clive-palmers-coronavirus-ad-in-the-herald-sun-slammed-as-dangerous-and-misleading/

Clive Palmer has taken out a massive three page advertisement in the Herald Sun this morning, detailing his efforts to fight coronavirus, but an infectious diseases expert says it’s “dangerous” and “misleading”.

The Australian businessman and former politician bought the huge advertising spread this morning to announce he has purchased almost 33 million doses of anti-malarial drug, hydroxychloroquine, to fight COVID-19 in Australia.

The drug showed promising results in fighting the disease in test tube testing, but further research suggests it is not an effective treatment, and may even be harmful.

“It’s actually quite dangerous and might mislead people to think there’s a drug that might work when in fact the available evidence is it probably does more harm than good and is already killing probably more people than it’s saving from COVID,” Professor Collignon told 3AW’s Ross and John.

“The harm is that any drug we have, whether it’s approved or not, particularly if you use it in high dose … can cause people to have heart arrhythmia, so basically you have a heart attack and can die. “Also in high doses it can actually cause blindness.”

Professor Collignon said studies in France and Brazil indicate the drug should not be used to treat coronavirus.

“This might have looked good in a test tube … but the current available evidence suggests it kills more people than it saves,” he said.

Best thing Hancock's done since this started-

4 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Looks like the Twitter link issue is random as fuck. Creating another post as below solves it.

It'll only link for me if I right-click and paste as plain text.

4 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Righto, so you’re happy handing out such considered advice? 

Yeah, seems strange that fuck knows how many health professionals have already died from treating people, so if the virus sticks around or resurgence, just continue adding him a grist to the mill eh? This ones dead, can somebody send me another doctor.

epidimiologists have spoken about multiple peaks, what do you do with those who contract the virus during successive peaks? 
here elective surgeries are being re-introduced, but, travel in and out of the country and between states, is severely restricted, plus we have a lot less deaths and exposure.

It seems the reason that medical professionals are suffering so badly is viral load and a lack of PPE. I'm not suggesting that this is not a bad thing and we should all just crack on, I'm suggesting that you're painting a picture more bleak than the one we face. We have professionals from Oxford Uni suggesting that they are 80% confident of having a functioning vaccine by September, we have other human trials of different vaccines going on around the world, but you would rather focus on the fact that we haven't yet got a vaccine for a disease which no longer exists. I just think it's unduly negative.

NB. Elective surgery looks like being reintroduced here too.

The similarity between this thread and the FF is striking. When there is a bad result of bad news, there's fucking page after page written on it. When some positive news comes out there is barely a comment. 

I choose to have a positive outlook whenever I can. I think this is healthier and more constructive. Sorry if that makes people think I don't give a fuck about those suffering and dying, but that's just not true.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The similarity between this thread and the FF is striking. When there is a bad result of bad news, there's fucking page after page written on it. When some positive news comes out there is barely a comment. 

I choose to have a positive outlook whenever I can. I think this is healthier and more constructive. Sorry if that makes people think I don't give a fuck about those suffering and dying, but that's just not true.

You monster.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Fuck off back to RAWK. 

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

It'll only link for me if I right-click and paste as plain text.

8 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Looks like the Twitter link issue is random as fuck. Creating another post as below solves it.

I think some of it seems to be giving it time to load. I often paste and nothing then it works later. I pasted one a bit ago by right-clicking and nothing, then ctrl + v, still nothing. Then I think I right-clicked again and it worked. Clicking on the preview post button then going back and trying seems to help at times too.

It 99% works in the end though by one or more of : clicking on a previous page then coming back, deleting the link then trying again, trying the preview post button and alternating between right-click pasting and ctrl + v. And giving it a minute or so before it works.