You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Elite

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

In terms of importance to the team I meant. I loved Gary Macca, but at the time we had Gerrard, Hamann and Murphy at centre mid. One credible GOAT candidate, one world class midfielder at the time and a good solid premier league player.

McAllister was instrumental in the treble. Milner is ace but Macca shades it despite being here a short time. In my opinion.

Over-rated: Otamendi - gets by in a team that dominates possession in midfield. Up against a team that attacks with pace and movement he looks bang average.

Under-rated: Ndidi - gets a fair few plaudits, but he's still only 21 and should be heralded as one of the best in the world in that age range for what he's doing.

• Upvote 2

Mesut Ozil is one of the most underrated players in the world now. Almost everyone thinks he's shite bar Arsenal fans but against 7-20 in the Premier League he's still one of the first players in the league I would want because of his ability to create chances and that counts for a lot. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mesut Ozil is one of the most underrated players in the world now. Almost everyone thinks he's shite bar Arsenal fans but against 7-20 in the Premier League he's still one of the first players in the league I would want because of his ability to create chances and that counts for a lot. 

I think he was poor last year, but the two previous years he was excellent. 20 goals in those two seasons, and probably more assists than anyone else in the league.

The legitimate criticism is his propensity to go missing, especially in big games. The two seemingly uniquely English criticisms of "doesn't run around aimlessly enough" and "doesn't take responsibility" (he passes the ball when other players are in a better position, rather than being a big brave lion and having a crack from 30 yards when he could have just rolled in a team mate for a tap in) are, obviously, tedious bullshit.

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think he was poor last year, but the two previous years he was excellent. 20 goals in those two seasons, and probably more assists than anyone else in the league.

The legitimate criticism is his propensity to go missing, especially in big games. The two seemingly uniquely English criticisms of "doesn't run around aimlessly enough" and "doesn't take responsibility" (he passes the ball when other players are in a better position, rather than being a big brave lion and having a crack from 30 yards when he could have just rolled in a team mate for a tap in) are, obviously, tedious bullshit.

Pretty much exactly my opinion. He's often disappointing against the bigger sides but the media and the people who only watch the biggest matches have taken that and turned it into "Ozil is shite, period" which is objectively a garbage take. 

Proper number 10s are more reliant on the rest of the team than any other position, even striker. A striker will get some service at some point.

You could stick a peak Iniesta in Huddersfield's team and they'd still be shit. The rest of the midfield wouldn't get Iniesta the ball enough, and the forwards wouldn't make enough intelligent runs off the ball.

Look at Coutinho for us. When he had Suarez and peak Sturridge in front of him he concentrated on passing the ball, when they fucked off to Barcelona and the injury table respectively he started shooting too much. Then he moved to Barcelona and had Messi, Suarez, et al, and reverted back to creating lots of chances. As he had players actually moving off the ball.

He doesn't work as hard as Coutinho, but it's the same with Ozil. He was basically just a central midfielder under Wenger last year. It was appalling management from someone just phoning it in really.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's basically exactly what we're missing: a very technically gifted creative player. If he was 3 years younger he'd be the absolute holy grail for our squad. 

Very rarely agree with you about footy because you chat absolute shite most of the time. However... I agree with you on Ozil. he doesn't want to be at Arsenal, couldn't give a fuck about them. If he was at a club that he loved he would be fucking brilliant. In some games he is miles ahead of other players. reminds me of Ballack. One of the best on the planet at Leverkusen, didn't seem arsed at Chelsea, to his detriment. I'd take Ozil and Ramsey in a heartbeat. 

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is he doing any good at Bournemouth? Not heard anything about him and don't really watch them 

Can't say I've watched them much either, he was their player of the season last year if that means anything (according to the commentator tonight).

Always looks like a good footballer and defender when I do see him.  Think of him and Gomez in a back three with Virgil.