You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 minute ago, M_B said:

I would imagine foreign players will be allowed in under the existing Sporting Visa. I doubt that the government would set out to hamstring the Premiership and its associated revenue.

The proposed rules will cut the permitted number of non-homegrown players in the squad from 17 out of 25 to 13 out of 25. Which is why I find it odd that we're offloading two homegrown players in Clyne and Solanke.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

This has literally never happened.

The fact you said 'literally' screams lies but it is laughable that you are denying it. You are the worst for it and pretty much the only one who gives a fuck about negs on the site. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

The proposed rules will cut the permitted number of non-homegrown players in the squad from 17 out of 25 to 13 out of 25. Which is why I find it odd that we're offloading two homegrown players in Clyne and Solanke.

When is that in-force from???? 

By all accounts Clyne is a pain in the arse and has some bad hangers on so that might explain that. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

It's only a proposal at the moment, and it's meeting resistance from the clubs. But some sort of deal that reduces the number of foreign players is surely inevitable in the wake of Brexit.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

By all accounts Clyne is a pain in the arse and has some bad hangers on so that might explain that. 

It's not in force 

The FA want it the Premier League doesn't. You'll find the top clubs treating breakaway leagues or a European Super League to stop it. Not sure how the FA think they can force it in. 

56 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I know everyone slags off not selling Markovic, Moreno etc at the first opportunity but the result seems to be that people have stopped fucking with us.

I exclusively revealed this in July.

On 7/22/2018 at 1:05 PM, Dr Nowt said:

Was thinking about the unrealistic fees we've reportedly refused to budge from for the likes of Markovic and Sturridge, when a deal making more financial sense for us than just letting them see out their contracts could

likely be done.  Its about changing external perceptions of our current strength, I think, by stopping us being seen as a soft touch.

Klopp seemed to be drawing a line when he made a comment during his first summer here about no Liverpool players being sold cheaply in future, in relation to Benteke if memory serves.  I presume he and Edwards feel being stuck with a few unfushables is a price worth paying if always sticking to our valuation helps increase sale fees overall. 

As we tend to have our recruitment sorted nowadays and few of the bad old signings are left around, the strategy must be more beneficial to us even allowing for the odd hit to the pocket.  Similar to preferring Can leaving for free if it meant setting a precedent to the rest of our squad that release clauses will no longer be a thing.

Let those who doubt the sagacity of El Rojo's texts feel their cheeks burn with shame.

• Upvote 2

I would rather Clyne stay to augment the squad for the rest of the season, but I'm guessing that with Trent, Gomez, Milner and Fabinho all capable of playing at right back, Klopp feels that keeping Clyne isn't particularly necessary. The Solanke deal I can understand because he hasn't played at all for us this season, he didn't really fit in with our style of play, and we're getting a huge fee for him. £19m plus add-ons! We got £15m for Ibe and £3m (plus another £3m in add-ons) for Brad Smith, so we are getting SOME money back from the south coast at least. Ings will leave in the summer too, and I think I've read that the fee is similar to the Solanke fee.

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It's not in force 

The FA want it the Premier League doesn't. You'll find the top clubs treating breakaway leagues or a European Super League to stop it. Not sure how the FA think they can force it in. 

The FA decides who can get visas to play football here, and they have that power because the government gives it to them. And after March, they're going to have to hand out a lot more visas, so that gives even more of an upper hand to the FA/the government, who are keen that sport does not escape the touch of Brexit.

Also, English clubs will no longer be able to sign 16/17 year olds from EU nations as they have in the past as the exemption will no longer apply.

21 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Ings fee is gauranteed 

They have to buy him for 20ml. 

You gotta think we will get another 10-15ml for Origi. 

55-60ml for strikers not getting games is great money. Would more than cover someone like Werner

That's what all this extending young players' contracts before we loan them, and Klopp always referencing how we only have excellent players at Liverpool when quizzed about the few remaining unflushables is about, isn't it.

Those in charge at LFC have seen what everyone else can; transfer fees will simply continue to rise exponentially in the same way match ticket and TV subscription prices will. We have way more players than we need quantity-wise, so keep them around for a couple of years and you'll mostly turn a profit even on those who aren't or don't remain good enough for us quality-wise.

On the one hand a deeply depressing and deadly dull side to football. On the other, so long as we continue to spend that money on quality over quantity, a necessary evil helping fuel our clear trend of annual improvement.

1 minute ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Well, well, well...

Get French Football News‏ @GFFN

FollowFollow @GFFN

Breaking | Nabil Fékir left out of Lyon’s 18-man squad to face Bourges Foot in the Coupe de France with no explanation. Not believed to be injured

WELCOME TO MANCHESTER OIL DOPERS CITY, NABIL. MEET YOUR IRRITATING BALLOON OF A CAPTAIN VINCENT KOMPANY. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Well, well, well...

Get French Football News‏ @GFFN

FollowFollow @GFFN

Breaking | Nabil Fékir left out of Lyon’s 18-man squad to face Bourges Foot in the Coupe de France with no explanation. Not believed to be injured

PM’d. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Doubt we'll buy anyone in Jan 

We'd better now, seeing as we've loaned out or last right back other than Trent and sold a striker for £19m.

That brilliant Suarez season when we almost won he title we did just this, i hope that we have learned from our misstakes and buy someone that can boost the squad this time instead of selling. 

I dont care if we sell Solanke for good money, but loaning Clyneis strange. 

• Upvote 1