You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any twitchers out there?

Champ

What are people’s views on feeding bread to the birds?

I understood it was too salty for them but when we were out at the weekend we saw toast feeders for sale. They look quite cool but is it ok to put bread out?

I understood it was too salty for them but when we were out at the weekend we saw toast feeders for sale. They look quite cool but is it ok to put bread out?

The experts seem to advise seeds,rice,lentils and so on. Not sure why but I imagine the birds may be able to digest these things better. Found this out after a discussion on what to take when taking my 5 year old nephew to feed the ducks and googled it.

Bread, especially white bread, isn't a good idea, as it has little to no nutritional value.

Nah. Shite.

Attracts starlings and pigeons. Shite.

kQ72apV.jpg

I have had to balance my feeder very precariously on the thinnest of branches otherwise the aggressive noisy bastard magpies plunder everything. There was a family of coal tits out there the other day so I bought the feeder and filled it with peanuts and put it up to attract them back. 3 days in and not a nibble as of yet. A fellow forum member suggested I hang fat balls out but I'm not as sprightly as I once was and it's quite chilly for naked acrobatics out there.

What is the point of Michaela Strachan though?

She's a presenter. If the set fell down or went on fire, which it often does on the likes of Spring/Autumn/Winterwatch, she'd behave as if it were all part of the plan and smoothly move the focus of the camera away from where all hell was breaking loose onto the next segment. Her and Chris Packham are a great team.

My only input on this is that I never knew England had green parakeets; they knocked the chestnuts out of the trees and the ducks would collect them and nosh on them until soft enough to swallow.

I love water fowl. The common loon is the most haunting beautiful call when you are camping and the fire is roaring and you’re roasting a wiener.

You can take your fucking geese back - fucking horrible things those are!

She's a presenter. If the set fell down or went on fire, which it often does on the likes of Spring/Autumn/Winterwatch, she'd behave as if it were all part of the plan and smoothly move the focus of the camera away from where all hell was breaking loose onto the next segment. Her and Chris Packham are a great team.

Oh I know what she’s meant to be but does she have to act like a kid on too many sweets