You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Bjornebye

Can't blame any kid for not putting in consistent performances.  He's a prospect whose got to improve a lot to even have a career in the championship.   People will jump on that but take a look how many actually make it in the game.

Clyne's injury fucked us over this season.  

Can't blame any kid for not putting in consistent performances. He's a prospect whose got to improve a lot to even have a career in the championship. People will jump on that but take a look how many actually make it in the game.

Clyne's injury fucked us over this season.

Not sure anyone’s blaming the kid that harshly. He made costly mistakes yesterday, but he’s still a very promising talent. He’s had a good season overall regardless of those mistakes. Vidic who was the worlds best defender at the time had an even worse game against us 10 years back. It happens.

Learning his trade at right back, but won't play there long term I think. If he'll be good enough to play in midfield for us is another matter. He's obviously a huge talent with a very good passing range. He is young he'll make mistakes. They all do, just the wrong game to make them yesterday, but it happens. Remember Gerrard when he came through, he made alot of mistakes. I know TAA is not in the same category, but if we can get a versatile homegrown player in and around the squad. I'll be more than pleased.

I agree with that and there is a good example in Gerrard, however and the bit that for me Trent needs(as daft as it sounds) - is an experienced right back in front of him to learn from; to see what that person does well and bring that in to his game and also take note of what he does not so well and learn from that. As our right back he's out there on his own, Gerrard, to be fair, had mid-field partners around talking to him. 

Right now, we're asking a 19 year old kid with some 20-30-ish first team starts under his belt, to become the first team choice(by choice or not) going into the quarters of a CL round and the business end of a league campaign, this on the back of Klopp recently stating that fullbacks are the most important position in world football currently..... and all this with his inside man being Lovren, who is not as bad as some make out - but is not going to be there to pull him out of it, if and when he does make a mistake.

Time is on this kids hands and he has all the ability and the will to make that position his own, but for me he needs an extra element to his learning curve and having an experienced RB in front of him, may well help him handle that learning curve a lot easier.

Lets not forget as well, the same sort of things where being said about John Flanagan a few years back and he's dropped of the radar. Perhaps a slower more considered and mentored learning curve approach with Trent, may give him a better base to work with for his future. 

He was awful yesterday and was definitely targeted by the mancs. If it was vvd losing that header to lukaku, Trent would have been copping all of the blame imo. He lost his head early on when rashford left him for dead in a straight sprint down the line and he couldn’t get near him again in that first half.

His positioning for both of their goals was dreadful and for the first goal, he should have expected the flick on from Lukaku as a minimum and had Rashford in his line of sight but he’s got no idea where he is until he turns and sees him running at our goal. Same for the 2nd, miles away from him and by the time he gets near him the balls already getting lined up to be slammed in.

Thankfully mourinho’s not one to go looking for more goals otherwise the kids confidence could have been ruined if that was against a top class attacking side. Although he still looked shell shocked in the 2nd half at times, even under no pressure.

I’d rather our players learned from their mistakes in the youth teams / against lesser teams than massively important games against the likes of these.

Edit: thought klopp should have gave him more protection and got the ox over to help him out during that 15 minute spell.

The difference is that he wont play against anyone the quality of Rashford in youth or less important games. It was a excellent run,turn and finish for the first. He losses a player like that in mist games and will not get punished.

The difference is that he wont play against anyone the quality of Rashford in youth or less important games. It was a excellent run,turn and finish for the first. He losses a player like that in mist games and will not get punished.

Wasn’t that Rashfords first start in a while though? I don’t know how good the kid is but the talk before the game in the build up was that this could be his last season for the mancs as mourinho doesn’t seem to rate him.

Edit. He should have been at least goal side of him and expecting the flick on from either lukaku or lovren as soon as it leaves de gea’s boot and been ready to wallop that ball into the stands

Yeah agree about Rashford

I said when Utd were after Sanchez that Wenger should have asked for him,same when there was talk of 100ml for Kane,id want him in the deal. He will score goals and has pace. Sadly he will/would be a great player in a more offensive line up

People are forgetting how shit Clyne was before he was injured, he was caught out under a cross or corner at least once a game.

Complete nonsense. For some strange reason there’s a section of a fan base who have got a bit of an issue with Clyne. First it was okay he’s solid defensively but he’s shit going forward. This despite the fact he created more chances than any other full back in the league. Now he’s actually shit defensively. Unbelievable. He’s an experienced full back who you would very rarely see beaten by a winger. He would have defended Rashford a lot better and got caught under the ball less than both Gomez and Trent have this season.

• Upvote 1

Complete nonsense. For some strange reason there’s a section of a fan base who have got a bit of an issue with Clyne. First it was okay he’s solid defensively but he’s shit going forward. This despite the fact he created more chances than any other full back in the league. Now he’s actually shit defensively. Unbelievable. He’s an experienced full back who you would very rarely see beaten by a winger. He would have defended Rashford a lot better and got caught under the ball less than both Gomez and Trent have this season.

Bollocks.

Gomez is equally as bad getting caught under a cross.

Clyne offered fuck all going forward. Trent had a very poor game but he’s a young lad, it’ll happen. I’d have him before Clyne every day.

We need a proper right-back. TAA, Gomez, and Clyne are not good enough. Gomez especially is weak at right-back and needs to be moved to centre. TAA has potential although not sure what his best position is but will need time to improve. As for Clyne, he's the best right-back we have but I have no idea how he'll perform after an entire year out. And the cloak-and-dagger shit surrounding his absence does not sit well with me so I'd be inclyned (see what I did there?) to bin him.

We need a proper right-back. TAA, Gomez, and Clyne are not good enough. Gomez especially is weak at right-back and needs to be moved to centre. TAA has potential although not sure what his best position is but will need time to improve. As for Clyne, he's the best right-back we have but I have no idea how he'll perform after an entire year out. And the cloak-and-dagger shit surrounding his absence does not sit well with me so I'd be inclyned (see what I did there?) to bin him.

More knee jerk nonsense.

To be honest, I think he's been quite poor for a few games now, I wasn't confident seeing him on the team sheet. He gets wide, then passes backwards to the CB on almost every occasion. His positional awareness just isn't there yet and he's not offering much going forward.

He'll learn, but in an ideal world he'd be the understudy to an older RB, rather than competing with Gomez whilst displaying similar deficiencies in his game.

• Upvote 2

One thing not really highlighted is that TAA is being targeted now and that's bound to continue,

Not much of any consequence went down Robertson's flank on Saturday. You isolate him and Lovren and its a weak link.on the right, Clyne back asap for me and Lovren replaced in the summer. TAA need a breather and some work on his positioning 

I'd back TAA to improve when he's being targeted like that. I think he's a really good player. Didn't show it on Saturday but he's been targeted in matches before and handled it much better.

If anything I'd switch van Dijk over to the right to help him out and stick Klavan back in if he's fit enough. Klavan was starting to look like a proper defender before he got sick, certainly much better than anything Lovren or Matip have shown this season.

I think he’s a level above Kelly and Flanagan. He’s a more well rounded footballer. He’s just young and bound to make mistakes. The league is quite strange these days in that you’ve got 5/6 clubs who are streets ahead of everyone else. I don’t think it’s ever been as clear as it is now. You will still get mad results because it’s still football at the end of the day but the points totals the top sides are getting are a really good indicator of what’s happening. Now you can be confident playing a player like TAA in a lot of games because sides won’t take the risk trying to expose him. His attributes are that he’s good coming forward and has a great delivery.

The problem is that then you have the games against the top 5/6. These are at a higher standard than they have been before. We seen on the weekend how easily he was exposed and it’s probably more down to the fact he just wasn’t used to it.