You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I can't countenance a world where we don't buy another top forward this window. It's too rediculous a notion to consider, so it won't happen.

We may as well have Firmino/Mane/Salah on the books as forwards and nobody else, such is the gulf in class after that.

Lemar needs to get his arse through the door, but even that wouldn't be enough, we need to buy a striker of some description.

Sturridge is a smudge, a smear, a mistake, his name is in our squad list as an error, it means virtually nothing.

Love how they release that fact now about the coutinho deal .... Is it to try and get fees down as they were very bullish when he was sold about the fee being up front.... Spin spin spin...

I thought it was pretty clear at the time that the papers were misunderstanding the difference between 'upfront' as in 'before add-ons', and 'upfront' as in 'all the cash now'. Never trust what a sports journalist says about finance things, there are very few who know what they are talking about.

• Upvote 2

Who's going to start the summer transfer thread then? I reckon we'll get that one to 500 pages.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Lemar, Alisson, Gimenez and ... Pulisic, maybe? Plus a youngster or two. I'd love Sessegnon but it could be we'll plump for a few cheaper young players instead.

Oh fabulous, Lallana’s injured again, just as well we sold Coutinho. I’m actually embarrassed by our club. What’s this fucking bollix about keeping him in summer about “timing”. We had a full 8 months to prepare a fucking replacement and we’re doing fucking nothing. We chance our arm and try get Keita early in an attempt to appease the fans and the act like a football club that wants to be taken seriously and tell us to fuck off, to sell a key player mid season is insanity, but to sell a key player and not replace him mid season, well there aren’t words to describe that.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Lemar, Alisson, Gimenez and ... Pulisic, maybe? Plus a youngster or two. I'd love Sessegnon but it could be we'll plump for a few cheaper young players instead.

Such a spending spree would be unprecedented. I honestly wonder where your bottomless optimism comes from, it's certainly not rooted in experience.

• Upvote 2

Klopp on new signings a week ago: "If something jumps in my face we will think about it but we don't actively look for a player so far. First of all we have to use the high quality players we have. Lallana isn't the replacement for Coutinho but he's a fantastic player."

Klopp today: "Lallana is injured"

ea2697b8957c913f493233113f42ab61--andrew

• Upvote 1

Id rather the club risked some cash than risked this season. We've lost a match winner a lad who scored and assisted plenty of goals a lad who really did help unlock stubborn defensive sides. Whoever's choice it is, be it klopps or the owners not buying to improve our chances at the competitions we have left this year is in my opinion a huge mistake. Be it mahrez or lemar or whoever the club have identified if they score just one goal or set one up that could be the difference between 5th or the next round in a cup then it's worth it. Psychologically we feel like a weaker side losing Phil, the bench seems poor, now lallana is injured it's poorer still.

Guess we've just seen too many January windows that seem like missed opportunities. Isn't luck preparation meeting opportunity. 1 trophy in 12 years is unnaceptable that's not on klopp but every opportunity at improvement needs to be taken because making up the numbers is a slow death the last decade has been a disgrace, too many "next year... next year" we should not exist to make stars for other teams we are fucking Liverpool expectations should not be managed.

• Upvote 8

I agree that it's hugely risky to go into the rest of the season with no depth behind Mane, Firmino, and Salah.

The problem I have is ... who do you want us to get that really moves the needle in terms of our chances at a trophy this year? Even without Coutinho the bookies have us at 78% for top 4.

So if there's a player out there that we can go out and overspend a bit and get who moves that number up to 90%, I'm all for it. Especially with Tottenham and Arsenal strengthening in the short-term. I'm just not sure at all that player exists.

I mean, obviously Messi would make us a top 4 lock, and even a player like Sanchez would have moved that number up quite a bit. But neither of those players are realistic. Does Lucas Moura improve our odds that much? Or Promes?

These are players I'd love to have as depth options, but with all the will in the world I'm not sure that they're really the quality to just come along as just really solidify our chances of top 4. Which is why I think Klopp is just going to roll the dice. Huge, huge risk, but I honestly think that's how they've come to this conclusion.