You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Worst Result

Moctezuma

Between those results it was the chelsea result that was more crucial imo. Losing to chelsea took the chance of winning the league out of our hands.

We had to beat Palace by about 8-0 to win the league as City at the time had bankers in the games they had left which they won without breaking a sweat.

Agreed, especially as one of those City bankers was against the Bitters.

I have a vague recollection of this monstrosity. 5-1 away to Coventry. Redknapp scored a free kick for our consolation. Didnt realise how long ago it was:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-liverpool-19-december-1992-20999/

there for that. and '83 when they won 4-0. plus the cup game 1-3 at home was shit in '98. bit of a bogey side here and there

saw us last clinch the title on the last day there though 1-6. '90. everyone in bermuda wear. roasting

• Upvote 1

Wimbledon in the FA Cup. The way the media have gone on about it since then is a joke yet an expensively assembled Man City getting beaten by Wigan who got relegated attracts no attention at all.

Either that or losing 2 nil at home to Arsenal to lose the league. I know everyone was mentally spent at the end of the season but we should have just played our normal game rather than sitting back the way we did. Things pretty much nose dived overall even though we won the league the next season cracks were already beginning to show.

Also losing 2 nil at home to Chelsea reserves in 2014. Shit eye aids footy could not be overcome by us. The deflation of thinking we would win the league still hurts today and the fact that most non LFC fans taunt Gerrard over it despite tge facf that their clubs have never had a player like him or that their club didnt benefit from the result.Plus that twat Mourinho loving every second of walking up the line laughing at us knowing he had put a massive spanner in the works.

• Upvote 2

Liverpool 0 Watford 1

Opening game of the 1999/2000 season. Watford only just promoted, fancied 4 or 5. Got to Watford Junction, trains were all over the place. Got on the wrongly adverised train, ended up in Manchester. Rushed across to Liverpool to witness one of the worst home performances I've ever seen. Beaten by Tommy Mooney of all people. Had to travel back to Watford Junction to pick up the car with Watford supporters who were proclaiming that Chris Day was the greatest GK they had ever had (he played a total of 11 games for them). Got in car, broke down on M25 and had to be towed to the services. Car fixed - M25 then closed, so had to go into London and then back out to get home. Not my greatest day.

Only plus was the debut of a certain S Hyppia.

• Upvote 1

For me in the modern era it has to be the 3-3 against Palace due to the implications of that result. No matter any other teams fans say about Gerrards slip against Chelsea, it was that Palace game that changed the end of the season for us.

Modern game wise that's mine, old games well as someone else has pointed out the Wimbledon game, every fucking season the BBC dig someone up that played for them and rub it in on FA Cup weekend. 

Being knocked out of the European Cup while Champions by Forest still hurts. 

The Chelsea game with the slip from Stevie was the worst for me. Not how we played as such. but I am a real glass half-empty type and that was the only time in 25 years that I had let my guard down enough to even start to believe we were going to win the league.

I don't think I have ever been colder than that Hodgson night game with Wolves

Yes mate - Chelsea 2014 game in for me too. They were down to the bare bones in terms of players that day, with a 19-year-old kid at centre half who I've never heard of since (Kalas or something?).

Terrible, terrible missed opportunity.

Liverpool 0 Watford 1

Opening game of the 1999/2000 season. Watford only just promoted, fancied 4 or 5. Got to Watford Junction, trains were all over the place. Got on the wrongly adverised train, ended up in Manchester. Rushed across to Liverpool to witness one of the worst home performances I've ever seen. Beaten by Tommy Mooney of all people. Had to travel back to Watford Junction to pick up the car with Watford supporters who were proclaiming that Chris Day was the greatest GK they had ever had (he played a total of 11 games for them). Got in car, broke down on M25 and had to be towed to the services. Car fixed - M25 then closed, so had to go into London and then back out to get home. Not my greatest day.

Only plus was the debut of a certain S Hyppia.

I think that was the only game they won all season? Only away game maybe?

Statistically it would appear that Liverpool's worst ever defeat was against Birmingham in 1954, 1-9, which was marginally worse than Liverpool's previous worst ever defeat of 0-8 against Huddersfield Town in 1934.

Thankfully we are not playing Birmingham this season.

Huddersfield, however...

There are so many.  Wimbledon in the cup final, Stoke (Gerrards last game)The mancs in 77 and 96, Forest in 78, Palace in the semi's, Bayer Leverkusen in 2002, to name but a few.

Arsenal in the final game of the season never feels that bad considering what had happened and who we lost a few weeks prior. Another time they may well of, and should have, scrapped the league that year. 

That Aston Villa loss in the semi of the cup still really pisses me off but I think it was the manner of the defeat more than anything else, so it's probably not the "worst result" but losing an FA Cup semi to shite like that and in that manner was disgraceful. Not forgetting that team was managed by Tim Sherwood too

Statistically it would appear that Liverpool's worst ever defeat was against Birmingham in 1954, 1-9, which was marginally worse than Liverpool's previous worst ever defeat of 0-8 against Huddersfield Town in 1934.

Thankfully we are not playing Birmingham this season.

Huddersfield, however...

Stringvest reckons the scoreline flattered Huddersfield to be fair.

• Upvote 1

There are so many. Wimbledon in the cup final, Stoke (Gerrards last game)The mancs in 77 and 96, Forest in 78, Palace in the semi's, Bayer Leverkusen in 2002, to name but a few.

Arsenal in the final game of the season never feels that bad considering what had happened and who we lost a few weeks prior. Another time they may well of, and should have, scrapped the league that year.

Not sure about the mancs in 96. Horrible result yes but we are talking games we would expect to have won arent we? Utd were by far the best side in the country then , both teams played shit on the day.

That Aston Villa loss in the semi of the cup still really pisses me off but I think it was the manner of the defeat more than anything else, so it's probably not the "worst result" but losing an FA Cup semi to shite like that and in that manner was disgraceful. Not forgetting that team was managed by Tim Sherwood too

It's always a great thing to see that the club learned something from a defeat. Benteke proved that a striker can win a game on his own. Then we sold him to Palace and he gave us the same lesson again.