You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

Ridiculous, in my opinion. I don't entirely agree with Grinch, but I am very much on the outside when it comes to the Chamberlain love-in. He contributed to a goal yesterday, so it's a pass from me.

Ridiculous, in my opinion. I don't entirely agree with Grinch, but I am very much on the outside when it comes to the Chamberlain love-in. He contributed to a goal yesterday, so it's a pass from me.

I'm not yet sold on AoC yet either.  Can't deny he has got better but whether he's going to improve us significantly overall or just add a bit of strength in depth then I reserve judgement. 

Two goals actually.. it was his burst from midfield and slide rule pass that released Trent for the first goal.

he's better than I was expecting in the midfield positions. he's pretty much as i was expecting in the wide attacking positions, which is little to no threat. I hope to see him more in midfield, he's on better form than Gini right now, in fact i would say only coutinho is deffo ahead of him in the 2 more attacking midfield roles. 

• Upvote 1

He's doing ok,in fact better than I expected to be honest. He's not individually great but he looks a good team player and works hard for the cause. Doing fine.

‘Good team player and works hard’ definitely things Klopp looks for in his players

It's all this newfangled hipster terminology to describe midfielders.  Such and such is a 6, him over there is an 8 and whatnot.  It's obviously bollocks. 

Indeed.  It hasn't been remotely relevant since the 70s and the days of Alan Ball, though it made a comeback with Gerrard.    McDermott, for example, who did wear it on occasion, was much more of an 8 than Jimmy Case.  

Hipsters. 

Good utility man. Can preserve tired legs across attack, midfield and full back. Performed more or less in line with expectations, although a few more goals and examples of incisive attacking play would not go amiss. Expect we'll see him at his best when we are called upon to play conservatively in Europe &  follow a gameplan with great energy -- much like the Kuyts and Sun Ji Parks of years gone by. Perhaps not a £35 m. strength -- but certainly a quality that makes the difference in tight contests come April / May.

Sensible post.

Indeed.  It hasn't been remotely relevant since the 70s and the days of Alan Ball, though it made a comeback with Gerrard.    McDermott, for example, who did wear it on occasion, was much more of an 8 than Jimmy Case.  

Hipsters. 

The best two recent examples of a top English number 8 were Gerrard and Lampard.

Coincidence??

The best two recent examples of a top English number 8 were Gerrard and Lampard.

Coincidence??

See that's my problem with this kind of numerical terminology if you use Lampard as an example then I suppose fine, but when you say a number 8 to anyone outside of Chelsea they're going to think Gerrard.

But which Gerrard?

1999 Gerrard when he played right back.

2000-2005 Gerrard when he was an attacking midfielder.

2005-2007 Gerrard when he was right midfield.

2007-2011 Gerrard when he played behind Torres.

2011-2014 Gerrard when he dropped further back.

Gerrard is our second best player ever but if I was picking our greatest team I would not have him in midfield over Alonso & Mascherano never mind Souness or Case.

Not having a go at you by the way, just illustrating the point.

He wasn't number 8 for half that time - you are speaking of a number 28, then a number 17. You also get a subconscious acknowledgement to his England number 4. Win.

Most understand exactly what it means.

So what is it then an attacking midfielder?

Just call it that then.

Gerrard got the shirt in 2004 so he played in every position other than right back for ten years at the club.

Saying someone plays in a number 8 position is as has been pointed out just utter bollocks, it's fucking meaningless.

No its not  - it is a box to box midfielder who scores goals. Stevie done that. You have already admitted you understand what it is.

Just cuz he also played in a team devoid of a quality number 10 for near half a decade and had to wear two shirts at once does not change this. Just makes me love him more.

No its not  - it is a box to box midfielder who scores goals. Stevie done that. You have already admitted you understand what it is.

Just cuz he also played in a team devoid of a quality number 10 for near half a decade and had to wear two shirts at once does not change this. Just makes me love him more.

Ah I see so more like a Souness or Mcmahon both Number 11's?

I wouldn't have said Lampard though he was never box to box he didn't have the energy for it.

Though apparently Henderson is, (or was) never seen it meself like.

Right so we've got that cleared up what's a number two?

I think the idea is you sign quality players that relegate current first team players to being squad players. Rather than signing players not good enough for the first team.

However, our central midfielders are so shit that AOC may well actually be better than our starting midfielders.