You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We did ok in March against Chelsea. We did ok two seasons ago in two finals against the same opposition. A Champions League Final and World Club final would suggest it's not that bad.

As I said take away 2019 and he has lost 7 of 11.

As you say, not bad.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

My understanding was buvac left because his role was to be diminished by ljinders getting a bigger voice when he returned from his failed spell at Nijmegen.

Not to do with the rest but Buvac had "left" a month before Lijnders was sacked.

Pretty sure he could not have known about a possible expanded role for a guy who was employed somewhere else at the time.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not to do with the rest but Buvac had "left" a month before Lijnders was sacked.

Pretty sure he could not have known about a possible expanded role for a guy who was employed somewhere else at the time.

I'm pretty sure buvac has talked about it. I think they knew before ljinders was officially let go he was not staying. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

As I said take away 2019 and he has lost 7 of 11.

As you say, not bad.

Losing to Real (twice) and City in finals is no shame given how handicapped Liverpool are in comparison. If anything it just emphasises the corruption those particular teams are using to dominate European Football.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm pretty sure buvac has talked about it. I think they knew before ljinders was officially let go he was not staying. 

That was from Klopps biography I think. There is a bit of Klopp talking about how Buvac didn't like Lijnders influence. Pretty sure that comment was made about the time before Lijnders left.

IMO something happened personally between Klopp and Buvac.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

That was from Klopps biography I think. There is a bit of Klopp talking about how Buvac didn't like Lijnders influence. Pretty sure that comment was made about the time before Lijnders left.

Ljinders only joined the first team squad on his return didn't he? Before that he was with younger players. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ljinders only joined the first team squad on his return didn't he? Before that he was with younger players. 

No, don't think that is right.  He was 4th guy in line before he left and was running first team training. Players liked him more than Buvac. Apparently so did Klopp.

• Upvote 1

In the updated version of Klopp's biography, author Raphael Honigstein explained (via the Express): ''The Liverpool (staff) had noticed that the notoriously taciturn Bosnian had switched from monosyllabic to zero-syllabic in the last few months.

''Buvac gave the impression that he wasn't happy with the increasing influence of the fourth assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders."

There was a bit written after we won the league that Buvac never contacted Klopp - in fact I think they have not spoken at all in that time, not sure on that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the updated version of Klopp's biography, author Raphael Honigstein explained (via the Express): ''The Liverpool (staff) had noticed that the notoriously taciturn Bosnian had switched from monosyllabic to zero-syllabic in the last few months.

''Buvac gave the impression that he wasn't happy with the increasing influence of the fourth assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders."

There was a bit written after we won the league that Buvac never contacted Klopp - in fact I think they have not spoken at all in that time, not sure on that.

I think they definitely fell out over it, although I've no idea if they've spoken again. 4th assistant sounds like the bloke who puts out the cones on days when someone else isn't around and he gets to step up for the day..

With him gone we are probably going to have to get used to losing quite a bit more. What a massive loss he's going to be. Even with recent frustrations which happen under every manager he's elevated us to a point where 32 games and having only 3 losses is underwhelming. Oh to be this entitled forever.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

With him gone we are probably going to have to get used to losing quite a bit more. What a massive loss he's going to be. Even with recent frustrations which happen under every manager he's elevated us to a point where 32 games and having only 3 losses is underwhelming. Oh to be this entitled forever.

We certainly are entitled. I feel like a knob for being so pissed off on Sunday. We played ok second half but seemed to choke a bit. I think we can go through tomorrow and turn this blip around. The leagues not over.

On 14/04/2024 at 17:17, chrisbonnie said:

I've calmed down now from my pervious "rant" 

Something that's bugged me since klopp was here. 

But in the big "must win" games, as in real title deciders, I can only remember winning one, and that was beating city at home early in the season. 

Now I'm not saying that's klopp fault, maybe we just weren't good enough to actually beat them. But we've never really looked like beating city in league games. 

Take into contrast sporting Lisbon last week, they had what looks like a title decider with benfica, they won it. 

Leverkusen had it with Munich a few ago. They won. 

We never win these deciders.... 

Is it a klopp trait on the team. Who knows

He has been the underdog for most of his career and is quite dogmatic tactically, so yeah, those things combined usually don't mix well in one off games. If you look at the massive final we won, it's against a worse team in Spurs and we were very pragmatic in that game. Basically, the opposite. So it makes sense in that way.

But I mean, without him we don't sniff half the glory we did.

Your tactics are mainly as good as the players you have to carry them out. We were flying and well ahead of schedule with a newer squad but the inevitable injuries and loss of form has happened at the worst time possible. We over achieve and when we start hitting our averages the difference is telling.