You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Job searching advice

Scal Capone

I have been looking for work over the past few months and I have had little success, aside from a couple of brief stints doing casual work. I suspect part of the problem is my level of education and the nature of the Merseyside economy. I have a BSc, MSc and a PhD but, despite these quals,  I now find it infinitely harder to get a job than before I went to university, when I could secure a non-technical, entry level position relatively easily. 

Most of the advertised roles seem to be for non-technical jobs. I've had a couple of interviews. One in a call centre for a credit card company,  in which they said that my interview was fine but they were concerned about my ability "to work in a controlled environment." I recently had a three-stage interview for another company for an entry level position;  they said I aced the aptitude test, did okay on this horrendously wanky debate, but they said my answers during interview weren't concise enough. I suspect the issue in both instances is my education. I can't omit qualifications like my PhD, as I'd leave a four year gap on my CV. Part of the problem is that I spent 10 years gaining science training and now I am applying for non-related roles, so I suspect they doubt my commitment to their company,.

Do any of you good TLW folk have any advice relating to dumbing-down a CV? I suspect I mustn't be the only person who is struggling to find a job in this market. 

I have been looking for work over the past few months and I have had little success, aside from a couple of brief stints doing casual work. I suspect part of the problem is my level of education and the nature of the Merseyside economy. I have a BSc, MSc and a PhD but, despite these quals,  I now find it infinitely harder to get a job than before I went to university, when I could secure a non-technical, entry level position relatively easily. 

Most of the advertised roles seem to be for non-technical jobs. I've had a couple of interviews. One in a call centre for a credit card company,  in which they said that my interview was fine but they were concerned about my ability "to work in a controlled environment." I recently had a three-stage interview for another company for an entry level position;  they said I aced the aptitude test, did okay on this horrendously wanky debate, but they said my answers during interview weren't concise enough. I suspect the issue in both instances is my education. I can't omit qualifications like my PhD, as I'd leave a four year gap on my CV. Part of the problem is that I spent 10 years gaining science training and now I am applying for non-related roles, so I suspect they doubt my commitment to their company,.

Do any of you good TLW folk have any advice relating to dumbing-down a CV? I suspect I mustn't be the only person who is struggling to find a job in this market. 

What are your MSc and PhD in, mate?

With that sort of skill set I'd be looking for research positions in academia...I googled it and there seems to be quite a few knocking around but they tend to be in the South/London.

I'd also look at Pharma...email/write to them with your CV and a covering letter asking them if they're looking for anybody with your skills

I'd look at the big Financial companies in the City as well...they're always looking for bright scientists who know Stats

If you don't fancy any of them I would have thought the NHS would be interested in you in the mental health sector

Getting a job, especially, the first one, is a massive ball-ache but you have to be positive and pro-active

Don't be afraid of putting yourself forward and selling yourself to the cunts

• Upvote 1

Matty's post is right - it's likely you will need to move to get a job commensurate with your quals.  It's a bugger, but that's because of the state of this fucked up country.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Upvote 1

You'll no doubt have more money to live on claiming the dole than you would as a student, so chin up.

I'm sure something will come around eventually, get ready for a lot of rejections though. My ex worked in Next and when she left for another job they didn't advertise the job they just asked her and her workmates if they knew anyone suitable for the job. Same with a lass I lived with in first year who worked at Tesco.

I had a spell unemployed a while ago and managed to get an interview with Asda. There was 6 of us in the group interview and the bloke who got the job looked like he was up all night on pills and smelt like he had white cider for breakfast. He also made a craic about magic mushrooms and 'only smoking the good stuff' during the group interview. I found out he got the job when I bumped into him waiting for the bus one morning. He told me he was 15 minutes late for his interview and the only thing he asked them was 'Do I get a discount on drink' (as a laugh he says) and he still got the job. I had to ask for feedback as part of my job seekers agreement and they said they were looking for more 'life experience'

I wasn't too bothered truth be told. I was having a lot of fun dole dossing. Hope you fair better mate, good luck

Thanks for the advice so far. Relocating is out of the question at the moment. I am married and my wife is 7 months pregnant. Indeed, most of the jobs are in the South East, but most entry level jobs won't pay me enough money to sustain a family down there, especially not London, given how extortionate rent is.

I don't have as  much money now as I did when I was a PhD student. I was awarded a PhD studentship by the Medical Research Council, which paid me a non-tax deductable stipend of £13,400 per year. In any case, I can't claim dole. I can't make a contributions based claim as I haven't made full NI contributions in the previous two years. Why would I have paid NI when I was a full time PhD student? I can't make a means tested claim as my wife earns £17K per annum. Benefits Britain, eh? I've never been this skint in my life. 

Thanks for the advice so far. Relocating is out of the question at the moment. I am married and my wife is 7 months pregnant. Indeed, most of the jobs are in the South East, but most entry level jobs won't pay me enough money to sustain a family down there, especially not London, given how extortionate rent is.

I don't have as  much money now as I did when I was a PhD student. I was awarded a PhD studentship by the Medical Research Council, which paid me a non-tax deductable stipend of £13,400 per year. In any case, I can't claim dole. I can't make a contributions based claim as I haven't made full NI contributions in the previous two years. Why would I have paid NI when I was a full time PhD student? I can't make a means tested claim as my wife earns £17K per annum. Benefits Britain, eh? I've never been this skint in my life. 

That is shit, sorry to hear that.  

There are some academic/research roles that allow a degree of remote working, so something like that may provide an opportunity if you're not averse to a three/four days away a week.  

I was going to suggest getting the fuck out of the UK, but it seems like its not an option.

You should certainly consider it in the future though.