You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

SlugTrail

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago I did think he was one of our best players (when played in the midfield rather than front three); he seemed to grasp the counter press as well as anyone in the squad. On the odd occasion he's played in the interim he has looked woeful. Given that he's never had any pace it could be that he's just never been fit for long enough to shift the rustiness but I have no faith in him staying fit for enough time to test that theory.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

Two years ago I did think he was one of our best players (when played in the midfield rather than front three); he seemed to grasp the counter press as well as anyone in the squad. On the odd occasion he's played in the interim he has looked woeful. Given that he's never had any pace it could be that he's just never been fit for long enough to shift the rustiness but I have no faith in him staying fit for enough time to test that theory.

When he was fit, he was great.  He orchestrated the press, he was actually rare in our mf in that he won the ball back, and he was a one-off in our mf in that he made runs ahead of the forwards, though usually unrewarded as the other mfs didn't have the vision or ability to get the ball to him.  The runs did however keep the opposition defenders busy and made space for our forwards to play in.  He was usually the hardest working player on the pitch too, covering more distance than anyone else.  Can he get back there?  Who knows?  Is that sort of player missed?  Definitely.

18 hours ago, stringvest said:

When he was fit, he was great.  He orchestrated the press, he was actually rare in our mf in that he won the ball back, and he was a one-off in our mf in that he made runs ahead of the forwards, though usually unrewarded as the other mfs didn't have the vision or ability to get the ball to him.  The runs did however keep the opposition defenders busy and made space for our forwards to play in.  He was usually the hardest working player on the pitch too, covering more distance than anyone else.  Can he get back there?  Who knows?  Is that sort of player missed?  Definitely.

Yep I agree.

With no Ox, Coutinho gone, Keita injured & not adapted yet - we could do with Lallana being the link in midfield to attack.

Let's hope he can stay fit.

40 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

If he was a horse he would have long since been glue, complete waste of wages,  most injury prone player we’ve ever had? Makes Fabio Aurelio look like iron man

Without checking I'd have thought Sturridge must have a worst record with injuries.