You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Average wage rise of £124 for last month for construction workers (approx 3 million in uk)

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/08/23/cost-of-skilled-site-labour-jumps-3-6-in-one-month/

If Labour Party members believe they will win the next election by promising to recruit cheap overseas labour they might as well knock on houses before the next election and pin a blue rosette on whoever opens the door. Tough but true.

Edit; Labour mp discovers penicillin, splits atom;

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Average wage rise of £124 for last month for construction workers (approx 3 million in uk)

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/08/23/cost-of-skilled-site-labour-jumps-3-6-in-one-month/

If Labour Party members believe they will win the next election by promising to recruit cheap overseas labour they might as well knock on houses before the next election and pin a blue rosette on whoever opens the door. Tough but true.

Show us a post on here from a Labour member who has explicitly said this. None of your own bullshit take, an actual post.

10 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Show us a post on here from a Labour member who has explicitly said this. None of your own bullshit take, an actual post.

I said "if" Labour Party members knock doors with that approach, I hope for all our sakes they don't, time they faced reality. First word, second paragraph "if"

Anyway weren't you the poster recently defending a billionaire chicken factory owner who pays minimum wage because the location of his factory's are in run down areas?

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I said "if" Labour Party members knock doors with that approach, I hope for all our sakes they don't, time they faced reality. First word, second paragraph "if"

Anyway weren't you the poster recently defending a billionaire chicken factory owner who pays minimum wage because the location of his factory's are in run down areas?

"Oooh I'm going to let "if" do all the heavy lifting of another nonsensical statement I want to make". I can't work out if you genuinely are stupid or pretending to be and are trolling the site with a policy that doesn't exist.

As for the second paragraph here, I wasn't defending anything, I asked you what the employment rate was in the cities where these factories are based. Something you still haven't come up with and instead are labelling these cities as run down so that you don't have to think. It's called looking at the whole picture.

27 minutes ago, skend04 said:

"Oooh I'm going to let "if" do all the heavy lifting of another nonsensical statement I want to make". I can't work out if you genuinely are stupid or pretending to be and are trolling the site with a policy that doesn't exist.

Oh do fuck off, if you're going to throw silly insults at posters its best you comprehend what that post is saying.  The clues were all there, "if" and "before the next election" being just two.

As for the second paragraph here, I wasn't defending anything, I asked you what the employment rate was in the cities where these factories are based. Something you still haven't come up with and instead are labelling these cities as run down so that you don't have to think. It's called looking at the whole picture.

Every article involving the two sisters factory's states where they are based, they are nationwide, they have a large one in Newport, Gwent which I've discussed and others in the Midlands, Nth Wales, Scotland

Their is a big huge fucking clue at the top of this article below to the factory's location, instead of trying to act the smartarse try to find it, not that you're really interested anyway.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-2-sisters-factory-hit-4028476

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Oh do fuck off, if you're going to throw silly insults at posters its best you comprehend what that post is saying.  The clues were all there, "if" and "before the next election" being just two.

So it's not Labour policy to bring in, as you refer to Eastern Europeans, "cheap labour". Great, that's cleared up and AoT and Turdsy won't be knocking on doors asking people to vote for cheap labour.

On 19/08/2021 at 12:23, Gnasher said:

Here's a typical Brexit conundrum for Labour and the left. Below is a poultry factory in S. Wales, right in the Labour heartlands, who's Member of Parliament for many years was the late Paul Flynn, fantastic Labour politican, I was friends with his brother Michael who was a local Councillor until he sadly also passed on a few years ago.

Factory owner, billionaire Rajit Boparam of two sisters food company want to basically bring back overseas workers as he's finding certain aspects of the Covid/Brexit situation difficult. He mentions wage inflation. He probably supplies fast food places like Nandos who are experiencing shortages. Who does Angry and the Labour Party back in this one? The owner who has legitimate future concerns or the workers/would be workers, who are probably thinking either pay more money or billionaire owner and Nandos can go fuck themselves? 

I'd put my house on who Michael and his brother Paul Flynn would back in this one. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/19/chicken-producers-brexit-staff-supply-shortages-uk-immigration-jobs-eu

Skend04 have a guess on the location of the factory in the post above, read it then take a wild stab, I left a few clues, 

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

So is it Labour policy to bring in, as you refer to Eastern Europeans, "cheap labour"?

I certainly hope not otherwise I see nothing other than a massive tory majority. 

Nice of you to manage a post without the normal bingo insults.

Ohh glad you found the location of the chicken factory's through my posts now any chance of an opinion?  

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I certainly hope not otherwise I see nothing other than a massive tory majority. 

Nice of you to manage a post without the normal bingo insults.

Ohh glad you found the location of the chicken factory's through my posts now any chance of an opinion?  

No. You posted the article, I asked a question about it, why should I answer my own question?

You should surely be able to say what employment rates are so that we all get a fuller understanding of the circumstances.

27 minutes ago, skend04 said:

No. You posted the article, I asked a question about it, why should I answer my own question?

You should surely be able to say what employment rates are so that we all get a fuller understanding of the circumstances.

You asked a stupid dumb ass question where the answer to your question was already at the top of the post, "where are the factory's located'? the answer was there. I'll repeat once more, 2 sisters have factory's in Newport, Devon, Nth Wales, Scotland, Midlands.

I asked you for your thoughts on 2 sisters because, you know, 'sigh', 2 sisters/chicken factory's was the subject being discussed.

If you don't want to be seen being critical of billionaires who time staff toilet breaks and have employers work in appalling conditions thats your perogative. Anyway, why is the location of a factory important if the owners are in a dispute with employees? Does the area give employers free reign to act as they please?

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You asked a stupid dumb ass question where the answer to your question was already at the top of the post, "where are the factory's located'? the answer was there. I'll repeat once more, 2 sisters have factory's in Newport, Devon, Nth Wales, Scotland, Midlands.

I asked you for your thoughts on 2 sisters because, you know, 'sigh', 2 sisters/chicken factory's was the subject being discussed.

If you don't want to be seen being critical of billionaires who time staff toilet breaks and have employers work in appalling conditions thats your perogative. Anyway, why is the location of a factory important if the owners are in a dispute with employees? Does the area give employers free reign to act as they please?

So you didn't read the whole article that says the issue affects 15% of the 16k workforce and these are entry level jobs in areas that already have high employment rates?

So if you already have employment are you going to leave your job to go fillet chickens and turkeys?

15 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So you didn't read the whole article that says the issue affects 15% of the 16k workforce and these are entry level jobs in areas that already have high employment rates?

So if you already have employment are you going to leave your job to go fillet chickens and turkeys?

I certainly have read all the articles thanks. I note a lot of those who were involved in strike action were "Romanian/EU workers" my opinion is good for them, I applaud them for taking a stand, no worker deserves to have their health put at risk when in work and this firm has certainly got history in the field, they've got form.

Its not really strange you defending the billionaires against low paid workers Skend04, you've also got form. Strange hill to die on though, not economically linked in any way are you?

Edit; from their West Bromwich plant a few years ago, not good...

https://m.foodingredientsfirst.com/news/uk-parliamentary-inquiry-finds-2-sisters-problems-are-not-a-one-off.html

52 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I certainly have read all the articles thanks. I note a lot of those who were involved in strike action were "Romanian/EU workers" my opinion is good for them, I applaud them for taking a stand, no worker deserves to have their health put at risk when in work and this firm has certainly got history in the field, they've got form.

Its not really strange you defending the billionaires against low paid workers Skend04, you've also got form. Strange hill to die on though, not economically linked in any way are you?

Edit; from their West Bromwich plant a few years ago, not good...

https://m.foodingredientsfirst.com/news/uk-parliamentary-inquiry-finds-2-sisters-problems-are-not-a-one-off.html

So, you're not going to say how many people are available to fill these entry level roles?

33 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So, you're not going to say how many people are available to fill these entry level roles?

So you're advocating bringing in cheap labour to fill these roles? The link below provides a clue how you fill vacancies, unless you want a low wage/stack em high economy.

Worth remembering the firm in question made 40 mil profit last year, the owners are some of the richest people in the country whilst their employees would struggle to get a mobile phone contract.

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

So it's not Labour policy to bring in, as you refer to Eastern Europeans, "cheap labour". Great, that's cleared up and AoT and Turdsy won't be knocking on doors asking people to vote for cheap labour.

Not sure if I’ll be knocking anywhere during a GE. As fun as it is getting called a cunt all the time, we don’t have a local candidate (she joined the Greens because Starmer was reneging on his pledges) and we don’t have any policies at a national level. 

Hancock is trembling in his boots. As well as knee trembling in his work gear. 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

So you're advocating bringing in cheap labour to fill these roles? The link below provides a clue how you fill vacancies, unless you want a low wage/stack em high economy.

Worth remembering the firm in question made 40 mil profit last year, the owners are some of the richest people in the country whilst their employees would struggle to get a mobile phone contract.

Still won't say how many people are available to do entry level work at these factories.

In other news Brexiteer Iceland boss didn't realise Brexit means Brexit and so won't be able to bombard us with more shite adverts about shopping at Iceland this Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58329439

30 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Still won't say how many people are available to do entry level work at these factories.

Fucking hell you're still trying to defend these utter cuntstains, as for you ridiculous question,

A; how can anyone equate the size of the local labour pool?  How the fuck would i know how many people are available? How would anyone? I'm not the local census.

B; Why oh fucking why are you trying to find excuses for billionaire factory owners for not paying workers a fair rate of pay?  Youve shown not one thought to these poor people working in these factory's for little pay but plenty for the billionaires who could uplift the lives of their workers at a stroke. Honestly, what is this shit?

Edit: sometimes you've got to call a cunt a cunt and if you are not prepared to stand up and call these people cunts why the fuck are you anywhere near the Labour Party?

In other news Brexiteer Iceland boss didn't realise Brexit means Brexit and so won't be able to bombard us with more shite adverts about shopping at Iceland this Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58329439

Separate issue but still.

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I wonder if James O'Brien would ever do it, or absolutely anyone who moves in his circle? 

These jobs require cheap labour because they're shite and pay shite money for shite hours. A lot of British people don't want to do them for those (fairly legitimate) reasons, so rather than upping their game the industry turned to foreign labour and waged wholesale character assassination on the British working class. 

"British people won't do this work!" Leaving out the important second half of the sentence (for shite pay).

Imagine O'Brien and Owen Jones working in a field all night on zero hours for minimum wage with turnip quotas to fill under pain of the sack. That's a channel 5 programme I'd watch.

I think Brexit is shite, but this stuff has always pissed me off.

Sandwiches, fruit and veg existed in Britain before 2004, I seem to remember.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I wonder if James O'Brien would ever do it, or absolutely anyone who moves in his circle? 

These jobs require cheap labour because they're shite and pay shite money for shite hours. A lot of British people don't want to do them for those (fairly legitimate) reasons, so rather than upping their game the industry turned to foreign labour and waged wholesale character assassination on the British working class. 

"British people won't do this work!" Leaving out the important second half of the sentence (for shite pay).

Imagine O'Brien and Owen Jones working in a field all night on zero hours for minimum wage with turnip quotas to fill under pain of the sack. That's a channel 5 programme I'd watch.

I think Brexit is shite, but this stuff has always pissed me off.

Sandwiches, fruit and veg existed in Britain before 2004, I seem to remember.

Probably picked and packed  by migrant labour because they were needed post war and in even greater numbers from the 90s onwards when everyone wanted milk and veg for pennies.