You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

OK so you wont produce any figure so I'll post you a link. http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=627

You labour under the misapprehension that the 'race' to declare first is just down to counting votes. It isnt. Its been widely reported in GE coverage sunderland employ more counters than nearly every other consitituencies. They also use a rapid collection of ballot boxes from polling stations to the counting centre. They employ young lads to rush the boxes from the vans into the centre.

You also forget other consitituencies also try and declare first. In actual fact, it looks like Newcastle will declare first anyway so your point still falls.

Your premise that the vote is rushed to declare first is based on false premises but if you dont want to accept the facts, that's your right.

That just helps to prove my point! Authorities going out of their way to be first - why? for PR. It's not for accuracy is it?

My point doesn't fail at all, as it's not a dig at Sunderland, it's a dig at ANY authority going out of their way to be first. There is absolutely no need to be first, and I'd rather they used any additional resources on improving accuracy than speed.

The vote IS rushed to declare first - by employing more people in order to finish first, and by changing the ballot paper for the purposes of improving speed. Why? What value is added by finishing first? none.

The link you've provided shows election results - not inaccuracies. We 'accept' there are inaccuracies in all ballots. They only come into play when the result is close, and a recount takes place. When the recount takes place, it demonstrates inaccuracy (but it doesn't show what the inaccuracy was, it only shows the difference between two counts, both likely to be incorrect values, which is why some votes even go to a 3rd recount).

How fucking dramatic can you get?

According to the Lancet, the last financial crisis may have been responsible for more than 500,000 excess deaths from cancer alone between 2008 and 2010.

Now admittedly that is a global recession, whereas the next one is going to be heavily concentrated on the United Kingdom. But this next one will dwarf the last one here. There is no question, based on what happened with the last one, that we are talking of thousands of extra deaths in this country alone.

• Downvote 1

That just helps to prove my point! Authorities going out of their way to be first - why? for PR. It's not for accuracy is it?

My point doesn't fail at all, as it's not a dig at Sunderland, it's a dig at ANY authority going out of their way to be first. There is absolutely no need to be first, and I'd rather they used any additional resources on improving accuracy than speed.

The vote IS rushed to declare first - by employing more people in order to finish first, and by changing the ballot paper for the purposes of improving speed. Why? What value is added by finishing first? none.

The vote isnt 'rushed' as you suggest. Rushed suggests cut corners and negligence to achieve the aim. They are expedient and despite your rhetoric, you havent produced a single stat that supports even your '2%' error rate.

The vote isnt 'rushed' as you suggest. Rushed suggests cut corners and negligence to achieve the aim. They are expedient and despite your rhetoric, you havent produced a single stat that supports even your '2%' error rate.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120202151713.htm

https://www.insidescience.org/content/even-careful-hand-counts-can-produce-election-errors/563