You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe names his top 50 Liverpool players

JohnnyH

He might be an absolute world class tit, but Lawro has to be in pretty much every best eleven in my book. Him and Jocky were unbelievable together. If I had to I'd say that Lawro and Jocky were the best defenders I've ever seen live and I include Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and McGrath in that list.

I have to disagree that the legendary Souness/Whelan combo or any of our other great players wouldn't have cut it today. They were much tougher men than the players now and they had to play in horrific conditions - as one poster put it, they weren't any worse as athletes, just very different. I think that's a great point. Pretty much all of our stand-out players from that era were undisputably world class players - world class trumps the likes of Joe Allen or a Burnley player every day or era of the week. Rushy would eat up the Premiership, while Kenny would be the best player by a mile. Barnes would piss on the mediocrity of the league and on better pitches would be even better. The likes of Nicol would put down the ale and fit into whatever was required of him and would be even better as a result.

Ray Kennedy needs to be mentioned more by the way!!! Absolute beast of a player.

• Upvote 1

On the Allen/ Henderson/ Souness palava a couple of pages back, surely the general thing to do when you make comparisons between players past and present is to apply 'pound for pound' logic as in boxing ie horses for courses and all things being equal with regards to sports science, training regimes, emphasis on fitness etc from the modern age?

Using the boxing example of squaring things up, it's why someone like Mayweather is regarded as a better pound for pound fighter than, say, Wladimir Klitschko. In reality, it'd be grossly unfair because Mayweather would probably come up to his waist.

• Upvote 3

On the Allen/ Henderson/ Souness palava a couple of pages back, surely the general thing to do when you make comparisons between players past and present is to apply 'pound for pound' logic as in boxing ie horses for courses and all things being equal with regards to sports science, training regimes, emphasis on fitness etc from the modern age?

Using the boxing example of squaring things up, it's why someone like Mayweather is regarded as a better pound for pound fighter than, say, Wladimir Klitschko. In reality, it'd be grossly unfair because Mayweather would probably come up to his waist.

There are some flomos out there that genuinely believe Mayweather would beat Wladimir Klitschko.

I'd like Gary Mac in there somewhere. A major inspiration behind the cup treble and getting us into the CL that season. I can't think of another signing who had been so influential the season he signed. The numerous winners he scored that season including that free kick against Everton...gives me goosebumps thinking about it! A great singing and a great fella.

This. 

Anything else would have Stanley Mathews as a division 4 player today. Or that Wayne Routledge is better than Garrincha was.

• Upvote 1

On the other hand I can't remember a better individual performance that the one Suarez gave against Norwich last season. 4 goals and an assist and three of the goals were brilliant. As a rule though, I think longevity will always give one player an edge over someone who shone brightly for just a couple of seasons

• Upvote 1

Amazing how many people have suarez in their top ten.

I dont think he was better than torres here its just nandos gone shit since.....

Rush dalglish fowler owen all better for us over longer periods.

Good as Torres was at his best, Suarez had more ability and more importantly he couldn't be bullied.

Suarez all day long.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Suarez was better, just don't see when Torres was bullied by anyone when he was with us.

Got bullied plenty by alehouse centre halves then went into a sulk. It was possible to get at him. Suarez is mentally and physically a beast.

How can anyone name their top 50 and include players they couldn't possibly have seen play?Some of them retired before Bascombe was born. Bascombe's top 50, based on what he's read and the opinions of other people.

Would Hitler be in your top ten bad Austrian blokes of the last century?

Yep. There you go. 

Duno norwich tho not barca. I mean their stats are comparable. Then the bans. I dont think theres much between them contribution wise neither actually won much. Think the trend is to downplay one and put the other up there for obvious reasons but rush done crazy shit like win stuff with us. Anyway its all a load of shit