You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

This genuinely isn't a stick to beat Rodgers with, but you do have to wonder if the fact he's pretty much unknown abroad counts significantly against us attracting world stars. The list of foreign talent who've snubbed us is now growing long and distinguished, and to my knowledge we've never been based in London. 

Here's how it goes.  

If a player is good, then there's a fair chance that one of Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, other good Spanish sides, other good German sides, good Italian sides will be interested.  This list isn't exhaustive.

If any of the above teams are interested, we're not signing the player.

If a player is good, there's about a 7% chance of us signing him.  

If we're linked with a good player, disregard the idea immediately. 

Keep this in mind and save yourself future disappointment.

Guest davelfc

who would brendan have to sign this summer to get a bit more time from those who want him gone?

sensible answers please.

I have absolutely no faith in Rodgers, the mythical transfer committee or Ayre to sign anyone useful this summer. I wouldn't trust Rodgers in poundland. 

We'll end up with some more young prospects just happy to be here (like our manager) until maybe one starts to develop then they'll be gone in a flash. The poor ones sticking around like a bad smell and costing millions. 

Hence I already don't give a fuck. 

• Upvote 4

Lacazette is out of our reach, time to buy him was last Summer.

Yep, for reasons that escape everyone, our transfer strategy is perennially 12-18 months too slow to get any top target.

Fucking shit club, too fucking shit to survive, the cheek of these fuckers rinsing the club for millions in wages and delivering fuck all, just fail after fail after fail. We're fucking shit at everything and nobody, NOBODY, at the clubs seems to give a shit or have any dignity or pride.

• Upvote 1

Do any of the transfer geniuses on here know who is 12-18 months from hitting the big time? Thats a genune question.

Yep, for reasons that escape everyone, our transfer strategy is perennially 12-18 months too slow to get any top target.

I suppose we tried something that with Markovic and so far it looks like a bad bad miss. Its a risky strategy. I remember a lot of people on here saying we should have gone for Lamela at 30 million too. Or that Braziliian Bernard who went for about 20 million. Or Luis Muriel who lots were saying to spunk big money on.

The super rich clubs can afford to make mistakes, we can't. 

* That still doesn't disguise the fact that we have bought very poorly.

• Upvote 1

That piece by Pearce reads like a long list of excuses, designed to pre-empt a summer of disappointment.

Salah didn't choose Chelsea over us, we fucked about and never made a satisfactory offer, much like the Kono and Willian deals. It's strange that all the deals that fall through rarely have the selling club announcing that we've agreed a fee.

• Upvote 2

That piece by Pearce reads like a long list of excuses, designed to pre-empt a summer of disappointment.

Salah didn't choose Chelsea over us, we fucked about and never made a satisfactory offer, much like the Kono and Willian deals. It's strange that all the deals that fall through rarely have the selling club announcing that we've agreed a fee.

Ye agree with this. FSG seem to want to negotiate and drag out the deal to get the player signed for the best value in wages. The problem with that idea is when another club comes in and offers more money we get left looking like gobshites. 

Even Willian had turned us down to go to fucking spurs ahead of us before going to Chelsea.

The most frustrating part for me is how we are leaking all our targets publicly before making a balls of it. 

Ye agree with this. FSG seem to want to negotiate and drag out the deal to get the player signed for the best value in wages. The problem with that idea is when another club comes in and offers more money we get left looking like gobshites. 

Even Willian had turned us down to go to fucking spurs ahead of us before going to Chelsea.

The most frustrating part for me is how we are leaking all our targets publicly before making a balls of it. 

Probably so other clubs can swoop and we can hold our hands up and say we couldn't compete, they wanted to go to London or had a Dutch love in with LVG etc etc. 

We're slowly but surely turning into Everton. 

I don't think we are leaking it. The leak usually comes from the other end and then the club get asked about it and try to downplay it because they're fed up of looking like knobheads and missing out on their targets.

Pretty sure they aren't actively putting stuff out there (at least not now anyway, not after the summer of 2013), in fact I'd bet they'd much rather we never even heard about all these players they aren't signing.

• Upvote 3

Rodgers is unknown in Europe but at least we are the first port of call for the lads available from Swansea and Southampton. Well apart from maybe Schneiderlin...

Mark Hughes was beating top managers and clubs to get players when at City, if they get the money they want they don't care who the manager is.

• Upvote 2

Maybe its not coming from our end but the list of players we are missing out on over the last couple of years is making us look small time.

Even for us going for another potential "big name" signing in the summer they'd probably look at us and question why players are turning us down.

Its very disheartening more than anything else.

I can remember when we were linked with Costa and Mkhitaryan and getting excited about signing them.

Now when the Depay links came out my first reaction is this won't happen for one reason or another and we'll lose out so I don't even try and get my hopes up. 

• Upvote 1