You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

Well if thats all true. Fair enough. Still not a fan of this committee though.

Committee bought Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Sakho, Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Origi, Ilori and now wants Perin & defensive midfielder. They wanted Firmino too, Rodgers said "no". There's a proper team in this Liverpool squad, all very talented players, Rodgers just refuses to use them properly and prefers The Usual Dross.

Guest davelfc

I'm definitely not someone vehemently arguing for the manager to stay at the minute.ive been at breaking point for weeks. But the idea of starting all over again sickens me.

I think that idea sickens everyone, from those who want him gone now to those that want him to stay. That and just who they might appoint as his replacement too. 

Far easier if it just all clicks and he stays, which is why so many want that. I'm not saying that's the reasoning behind all of his support, far from it. 

You say in an earlier post Rodgers agreed on Balotelli intimating he was a committee choice, yet leave him off the list of players you attribute to them. 

They agreed on him when Milan set their price, he was a compromise, as well as Mignolet. They wanted Begovic, BR wanted Vorm, they agreed on Migs. Don't be a cunt and do some research.

• Downvote 1

They agreed on him when Milan set their price, he was a compromise, as well as Mignolet. They wanted Begovic, BR wanted Vorm, they agreed on Migs. Don't be a cunt and do some research.

Need to take your own advice about not being a cunt there, BM. I'm  quite comfortable being one. And not being as well connected as you I'm entitled - yes entitled because I'm such a cunt - to question any apparent discrepancies in your posts.

Regards.

Anubis.

Cunt, First Class.

• Upvote 1

That does'nt make any sense. But if it is true. Boy what a fucking mess.

Committee bought Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Sakho, Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Origi, Ilori and now wants Perin & defensive midfielder. They wanted Firmino too, Rodgers said "no". There's a proper team in this Liverpool squad, all very talented players, Rodgers just refuses to use them properly and prefers The Usual Dross.

I forgot you had contacts in the boardroom.  Pass on my best wishes.

• Upvote 2

There's a committee at every damn club.

At a very few clubs, the manager has so much clout that the committee serves only to fear the manager (a la Ferguson) but for everybody else, there's a number of people 'approving' the spend. It might not be a formal committee, but it's still there.

The chairman and the CFO will want to know the ins and outs of the deals and they'll certainly be expressing their own views, if not on football matters, but on potential resale value and PR etc. No manager is given a budget and told to spend as he pleases. It simply doesn't happen. Most managers don't have the financial skills to work out the true cost of a deal nor the legal skills to create the actual contract.

Rodgers will put forward names. Any committee will then work out what they believe to be the best option overall. If Rodgers keeps getting his 3rd choice, then he should stop giving the committee names he doesn't really want and stand firm on his conviction for a specific player.

It really is no different than buying a car and being 'realistic' about what is acceptable and what isn't. But if you can't find one that's acceptable, you're crazy to buy one you don't want and hope it grows on you. You will always be moaning 'I should have bought the one I really wanted'.

If he's having the players thrust upon him, for the privilege of being Liverpool manager in the first place, then he's living a bit of a lie.

This just can't be true. Their compromise is a third keeper which none of them wanted in the first place?

* shakes head*

• Upvote 1

It's pretty easy to guess which of this summers signings are Rodgers specifically. I'd hazard a guess he wanted Lallana and said "get him at whatever cost". It's pretty clear that Lovren was the same. Of the rest Moreno, Manquillo, Can and Markovic strike me as committee signings. Lambert i don't have a clue and Balotelli was obviously a "fuck it" last minute jobby.

The rumours of Shaqiri sound like the committee as does goalkeepers like Perrin.

• Upvote 2

I take it this means the information is available in the public domain?

I've just googled the goalkeeper stuff and all I found in the first five pages was a few people making the Begovic claim on Twitter and various forums, without citing any sources. I also found someone claiming Rodgers wanted Begovic. Is there anything more concrete than this?

• Upvote 1

I may be wrong, but I take the view that every signing is endorsed by Brendan.

It is easy to forget how much there is to play for this season, three cups and fourth. There is still time for Sturridge to come back and for some of these signings to come good.

This just can't be true. Their compromise is a third keeper which none of them wanted in the first place?

* shakes head*

I haven't got a clue how they came to Mignolet, a keeper that can't kick a ball which Rodgers values above anything in a keeper one who is good with his feet (Vorm is a shite keeper but is good on the ball).

He wanted Vorm and was overruled (same with Ashley Williams and Bertrand). He insisted on a Premier League experienced keeper but I struggle to believe that he'd turn down Begovic for some divvy scared of his own shadow. 

Mignolet's level is Sunderland for an O'Neill type manager who wants a Shay Given in goal. Vorm's level is sat on the bench at Tottenham and behind the likes of Krul with Holland. Begovic is certainly better than them.

Ending up with Mgnolet is the thing i've got the biggest sympathy with Rodgers for but he must have agreed to it which makes his own judgement ridiculous. We may have been better off with Vorm but we should have done better than both. 

They probably want a manager with a proven track record of winning things and ability to spot a player in the high end of the market.

One of the ones outperformed by Rodgers last season an unable to produce the same level of entertaining football?

Not for me, ta.

Good luck on getting one to come and get in the fifth fastest car in the race though, if that's what you want.

• Upvote 1

I take it this means the information is available in the public domain?

I've just googled the goalkeeper stuff and all I found in the first five pages was a few people making the Begovic claim on Twitter and various forums, without citing any sources. I also found someone claiming Rodgers wanted Begovic. Is there anything more concrete than this?

It just all sounds like complete speculation to me. Not really something with which to form a strong opinion on, for me anyway.

One of the ones outperformed by Rodgers last season an unable to produce the same level of entertaining football?

Not for me, ta.

Good luck on getting one to come and get in the fifth fastest car in the race though, if that's what you want.

When you say get us playing you seem to sum up only our play in one half of the pitch, in one of three seasons in one competition with one decent transfer window in 5 since hes said himself hes not adding this window.

He may turn it around but he has to do it with his current squad and I dont see many goals or clean sheets in it.

Its not all on him and Im more lenient on the transfer stuff which hasnt been right since we put the shackles on rafa and handed purslow the reins. Certainly not under this regime.

That said I find your outright optimism baffling with your intelligence.

I may be wrong, but I take the view that every signing is endorsed by Brendan.

It is easy to forget how much there is to play for this season, three cups and fourth. There is still time for Sturridge to come back and for some of these signings to come good.

We've no chance of getting 4th.

We'll need a minimum of 65 points, more likely at least 70, to get there, which would require more than 2 points per game and for us to have a considerably better second half of the season than Man Utd/Arsenal and Southampton/Spurs. It's not happening.

We've no chance of getting 4th.

We'll need a minimum of 65 points, more likely at least 70, to get there, which would require more than 2 points per game and for us to have a considerably better second half of the season than Man Utd/Arsenal and Southampton/Spurs. It's not happening.

Agreed.

It's nothing but a pipedream at this point, unfortunately.