You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Lurtz

My 6 year old lad has just joined the local team and is loving going.

Went to pick up a pair of boots for him at the weekend. Tried about 3 different sports shops do you think I could get a single black pair of boots!

I mean pink, purple, brighy yellow.. Christ I felt like an old grump in the shop.

The Football League is going to be 'rebranded' as the English Football League from next season, and known as EFL for short.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34800391

Football League to be rebranded as 'EFL' at end of 2015-16 season

The Football League is to be renamed the "English Football League" (EFL) from the end of the 2015-16 season.

The EFL will have a new logo as part of its rebranding.

But the individual league titles of the Championship, League One and League Two - introduced in 2004 - will remain.

"The new EFL name rightly emphasises the central role our clubs play at the heart of English professional football," Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey said.

"We believe the EFL name and brand will give our competitions an identity that is new and distinct, while at the same time retaining our unique heritage."

Clubs, stakeholders, commercial partners and more than 18,000 fans have been involved in a consultation process prior to Thursday's announcement.

What are other kids of his age wearing? There's nothing worse when you're a kid than your parents making you wear something that makes you stand out from your peers.

this is true. It's all multicoloured shite. I need to just face facts that I'm an oul arse.
  • Upvote 1

To be fair, the early darters have always existed.

Even in the 80s there'd be people making their way out when we were playing some of the best football ever.

They'd get "Part time supporters" chanted at them, they'd miss Johnny Barnes' third goal, but they'd be home in time for Wurzel Gummidge, so it's swings and roundabouts.

• Upvote 2

My 6 year old lad has just joined the local team and is loving going.

Went to pick up a pair of boots for him at the weekend. Tried about 3 different sports shops do you think I could get a single black pair of boots!

I mean pink, purple, brighy yellow.. Christ I felt like an old grump in the shop.

#BlackBootsMatter

• Upvote 2

To be fair, the early darters have always existed.

Even in the 80s there'd be people making their way out when we were playing some of the best football ever.

They'd get "Part time supporters" chanted at them, they'd miss Johnny Barnes' third goal, but they'd be home in time for Wurzel Gummidge, so it's swings and roundabouts.

The early darters from the Kemlyn Road were always met with a lusty rendition of 'Sit Down You Bums' from the Kop back in day.

• Upvote 2

The buzzing off Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Fair enough if you want to watch them on the telly but it gets on my tits the way both are deified, as if both transcend the sport itself.

Don't really feel comfortable either with how kids are seemingly naturally drawn towards one or the other these days as a second team. Back in the day, there'd always be one gimpy kid at school who claimed he supported either and they'd rightly be ridiculed. If you went into school on a non-uniform day in either top, it was usually a sign you'd been to Spain on your holidays. Now it just shows you've been to the local Sports Direct to give 'Leo' or 'CR7' the official seal of approval.

I can think of about a million things I'd rather do than watch the two plumb new depths of shitbaggery, one trying to out-cunt the other for 90 mins in a 'Clasico' game.

• Upvote 4