You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

That is pure genius. 

Only Chelsea could possibly think it was a good idea to leak the tiniest bit of that to the public.  Not even Arsenal or United could be so shameless, at least most clubs have the good sense to woo executives behind closed doors and hide this sort of thing from the rest of us.

I was actually laughing out loud at how far removed it felt from the zeitgeist by the time it got to the bit where the CEO is getting out of his limousine surrounded by adoring fans.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/01/manchester-city-265m-deal-chinese-investment-group

City Football Group, which owns Manchester City, have announced a $400m (£265m) investment from a Chinese consortium that buys it a 13% stake and values CFG at $3bn, with Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the chairman, stating this will “leverage the incredible potential that exists in China”.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City and Chelsea have turned football into an abomination. Not sure what the FA are doing, they should be acting to stop these cunts from existing.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/01/manchester-city-265m-deal-chinese-investment-group

City Football Group, which owns Manchester City, have announced a $400m (£265m) investment from a Chinese consortium that buys it a 13% stake and values CFG at $3bn, with Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the chairman, stating this will “leverage the incredible potential that exists in China”.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City and Chelsea have turned football into an abomination. Not sure what the FA are doing, they should be acting to stop these cunts from existing.

They must be down to their last 10 trillion quid if they are looking to get outside investment.

That is pure genius. 

Only Chelsea could possibly think it was a good idea to leak the tiniest bit of that to the public.  Not even Arsenal or United could be so shameless, at least most clubs have the good sense to woo executives behind closed doors and hide this sort of thing from the rest of us.

I was actually laughing out loud at how far removed it felt from the zeitgeist by the time it got to the bit where the CEO is getting out of his limousine surrounded by adoring fans.

I don't think that was deliberate, looks rather like a leak to me. I reckon the video was made by the agency (Saatchi & Saatchi) as an entry for some sort of PR/Marketing award. We also give out an award in that field and the entry videos all look just like that. Usually with the disclaimer that the video under no cirumstances be shown to anyone but the jury.

giphy.gif

Man United started it all,Chelsea and City just upped the ante.

As a kid I'd sit there and watch VHS tapes of our history or 'Six of the best' for hours and hours on a loop. I even managed to get hold of a C90 audio tape of an interview with Shanks just after he resigned and played that regularly from the age of 9 and still had the odd listen at 18 when I had my first car and would set off to work with his philosophy ringing in my ears. I was consumed by Liverpool, the history and the present. I'd sit and watch Ceefax pages slowly turn over to read about Kenny's resignation and wonder how I was going to get through a day of school with that resounding in my mind. My first season ticket was in 90/91, I had been going to games in previous seasons but sporadically however did manage to snaffle a ticket for the trophy lifting of 1990. My first season ticket was a kids one. £80 for 19 games it was. Throw in a quid I got for my Sayers cuppa and a sausage roll inside the ground and that entire season cost my mum and dad £99. That would struggle to get me and my lad a ticket each for one game today.

I've wondered about whether it was just the process of age that my mind wandered away from loving the game. Was it chasing birds every weekend in town whilst having a few beers with my mates, wearing our arl mans strides (dress code in town mid 90s was trousers, no jeans allowed), flicking our fanny head haircuts out of our eyes. Or was it trying to forge a career path, studying and learning how to screw someone over working in the corporate world? Over time my interest waned and it became more of a chore to go the match. It must happen to everyone I thought, but then I'd see pensioners at the game who'd been going since they were my age when I got my first ticket. I'd see lads scraping money together just to afford a pre match pint before screaming at the players from the stands for 90 minutes, so it wasn't that.

My dads interest in going the match waned around the same time as mine. He's a blue and went all over Europe with them in the 80s, the most memorable being in 85 when he got rotten coming home from Rotterdam and drunkenly joining in a game of street football in our street, barging one kid off the ball and into tears, before 'blamming' the ball past a helpless 7 year old keeper to screams of "Sheeeeedyyyy!" breaking the hotly contested 'No Blammers' rule in the process.

And that's when it dawned on me when he gave his ticket up in 2008. Football wasn't about following your local team who resonated with the fans, getting a new kit that lasted for two years, swap, swap, need, got Panini stickers in the playground, Match of the Day with highlights of one game and just the goals of others, Sportsnight on a Wednesday having highlights if you were lucky, The Big Match having a Sunday game if you were lucky, first team players turning up to a pub and handing out trophies to the local kids (I had Steve McManaman after he'd just made his first team debut), paying in on the day, club shops selling stuff that was useful and people wanted, listening to the match on the radio whilst watching Ceefax on the telly and Saturday, 3pm kick offs. Football was slowly turning into performance off the pitch first, on the pitch second. It is now about 3 kits a season, subscription viewing, travelling to Australia and America pre season, category A, B and C games, playing away games against southampton just past midday so Joe Bloggs can roll out of bed for it, Nivea, agents fees, millionaire teenagers holding clubs to ransom, net spend, Thomas Cook Sports, training kit sponsorship, club emblazoned toe nail clippers, Rick Parry's numbers game, new stands for more corporate clients, fan cards, online only subscription content about who Martin Skrtel thinks has the worst dress sense, zero terrestrial league coverage, the fucking 'EPL', Barclays, training kit sponsors, matchday shirts vs stadium shirts, 5 games on a Saturday, 4 Sunday, 1 Monday, squad numbers into the 70s, squad numbers in general, nachos being sold at the game, and the fucking premier league anthem.

Fuck modern football.

• Upvote 21