You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barrett/Smith on current problems

gkmacca

Always wondered why Mike marsh is stuck there on the bench. I'd imagine he's no fucking Arrigo sacchi. him and pascoe seem like your standard phil Neal style yes men.

Marsh goes to the shops on small errands; you know, milk, the paper, rizlas etc.  Rodgers lets his players chase and hit Marsh during training.  He also gives back rubs and shampoos cars.

Pascoe gets called into action when Rodgers needs something big from Homebase or somewhere similar.  

• Upvote 5

It's impossible to deny that he lacks the stamina and agility of his younger days.  What does he have that others lack?  Composure, courage, the ability to choose the right pass - and execute it, ability to inject pace into an attacking move, to switch the play, to spot a run, to tackle, to execute a prefectly-timed charge into the box, to deliver fantastic crosses and score from a dead ball.  

Now, he's not as consistently brilliant at all of these things he once was, but he is one or two levels above anyone else in most of these areas.  Certainly there isn't anyone that we have who can match him in all those attributes.

It's not really so much what he does with the ball it's what he does without it.

I watched the QPR Villa game last night and was wondering why Villa (even though they got beat) dominated the game in terms of possession and territory when we struggled at the same venue. Whilst it was one of the worst games I've seen for quality it is clear Villa tried to play at a high tempo and moved the ball around quickly.

At our best (and most confident) last year, this is what we did. First time passes executed without too much thinking time. It encourages movement (we are a very static team) and drags defences out of position.

We seem to lack a bit of confidence right now and players are taking the easy option, backwards, sideways and where it just came from; not always the worst option but we need to be more positive and take a risk or two. if we do, instead of allowing defences to funnel back into position and remain comfortable, we will find space and create opportunities.

Easy to say from where I sit but where we must strive to get to.

• Upvote 1

Last night showed yet again that we can play better without Gerrard. The pace of the passing and movement was much higher than usually, especially in the first half and we completely outplayed Swansea for most of the game, exactly the way Rodgers said he wanted us to play when he arrived. I'm a bit disappointed about the way he has gone against his principles and it's unfortunately mostly down to him not being pragmatic enough in his team selections.

The respect we have for his achievements for the club shouldn't be an hindrance for constructive criticism. He still has a role to play, but it should be smaller. Moving him up the pitch is a much better idea than giving him a central role that slows down the play. But moving him up the pitch also creates problems for the likes of Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana. How do you solve it?

Marsh goes to the shops on small errands; you know, milk, the paper, rizlas etc. Rodgers lets his players chase and hit Marsh during training. He also gives back rubs and shampoos cars.

Pascoe gets called into action when Rodgers needs something big from Homebase or somewhere similar.

i

This conjures up the wonderful image of B-Rod and his backroom staff as tv's Nick Knowles and his rag tag bunch of workmen off of DIY SOS. Mike Marsh is the one who always cries.

Going by the comments on here last night, we were absolute pants so to claim we played better without Gerrard is a bit of a joke.

How can I argue with that? Oh and we've been pants most of the other games as well. Maybe you should check the comments on those games too while you're at it.

This conjures up the wonderful image of B-Rod and his backroom staff as tv's Nick Knowles and his rag tag bunch of workmen off of DIY SOS. Mike Marsh is the one who always cries.

My girlfriend's Dad was best man for Billy off DIY SOS, they go way back.  I've never met him myself, but don't let that get in the way of any knicker-dripping the girls among you want to proceed with. 

• Upvote 1

How can I argue with that? Oh and we've been pants most of the other games as well. Maybe you should check the comments on those games too while you're at it.

Well Ive been to all the home PL games so far and I dont think he's anywhere near as bad as some of the blerts on here make out.

Well Ive been to all the home PL games so far and I dont think he's anywhere near as bad as some of the blerts on here make out.

It's hard to let go but soon we'll have to. He has some qualities that will definitely be missed, but they are slowly fading away and his influence on games isn't as big as it used to be. And Rodgers doesn't seem to want to rest him as much as he should do. Probably because Stevie hates being on the bench, but they should both realise it will help him in the long run.

I think Barrett and Smith are full of shit on this occasion.  The midfield is the most functional part of the team.  We're not winning games because the strikers have been awful and we can't defend crosses.   We give the ball away because the movement of the striker(s) hasn't been good enough, and they themselves give it away cheaply.  

We have fundamental flaws either side of the midfield, but the midfield itself is fine in most games.  You could make a case for replacing Joe Allen, who is injured or carrying an injury too often, but we have enough options with Gerrard, Hendo, Allen, Can and Lucas (as demonstrated by progression in the Capital Thingy Cup).  

A couple of DMs won't stop Mignolet flapping or Mario finding row Z. 

It's hard to let go but soon we'll have to. He has some qualities that will definitely be missed, but they are slowly fading away and his influence on games isn't as big as it used to be. And Rodgers doesn't seem to want to rest him as much as he should do. Probably because Stevie hates being on the bench, but they should both realise it will help him in the long run.

I dont disagree with that. Everyone knows Gerrard cant play box to box for 90 minutes. But that doesnt mean he's playing badly. The role isnt suiting him. I think he just needs to play behind a front 2 and not be expected to get back and defend every attack.

I disagree with people who want Gerrard dropped. He still brings a lot to the table. At the moment, I cant think of another player who'd be on my teamsheet first ahead of him.

Others may disagree with that, that's up to them.

The midfield is as porous as the defence.  And the attack is garbage, because we don't have anyone with the brains, energy, technique and grit to do what is necessary for the benefit of the team.  The whole team needs a makeover.  And not from that orange scouse woman with water retention issues.  

• Upvote 1

Newport "Last night showed yet again that we can play better without Gerrard."

HAHAHAHA

Fuck off with this shit. If it wasn't for the Swansea GK and Mario's momentary glimpse of greatness, we'd be out of the mickey mouse cup with yet another home defeat.

The problem of Liverpool lies in the Boardroom. As Gerrard mentions in his latest interview, In 2002, in 2009 and 2014 the directors/managers made the same mistake. Going close to winning the league and then selling our best players, thinking somehow this is a genius idea.

If the directors don't stop treating Liverpool as a small club capable of one-season wonders, then you'll continue finding scapegoats. Gerrard will be soon retiring, our mediocrity is here to stay for long and the self-important journalists like Barrett and Smith, do nothing to highlight this inconvenient truth. For personal reasons.

Our transfer policy is SHITE.

• Upvote 2