You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barrett/Smith on current problems

gkmacca

Gerrard is not the problem, his position is and has been since Rodgers has been here he has not allowed him to flourish in any attacking position, he has never been a holder Gerrard is too creative and needs putting in an attacking mid position in his last years to get the best out of him.

Ala Lampard, and we got away his Gerrard last season, hes wasted where he is, he makes his pass an disappears, hes the best striker of the ball at the club get him in and arond the box.

He shouldnt be straining to get back to tackle their best attackers, the problem is Rodgers doesnt beleive the DM position exists as a role in and of itself, he refuses to accept this needs a Hamaan type. Oh and Lambert should be getting a lot more game time.

For how long should we have to accomodate one player to suit him? Didn't we play our best game under Rodgers without him? He's a club legend and all, but someday we have to move on and as hard as it is to say it he is probably the player that hold us back more than any other.

If I believed that we had anyone who could bring along the attributes that Gerrard provides, I'd have no issue with Gerrard bring dropped forever.  We don't have them though.  Not even in three players.

Surely the issue isn't what he has though, these days its what he lacks. Which truly probably is the athleticism required to protect the back 4. Other teams had to learn to use their talismen wisely. United with giggs and Scholes for example.

• Upvote 4

If I believed that we had anyone who could bring along the attributes that Gerrard provides, I'd have no issue with Gerrard bring dropped forever.  We don't have them though.  Not even in three players. 

I agree, but the cons are slowly cancelling out the pros for me. He's still good enough as long as we don't bring in a more solid midfielder, but I hope we don't have to directly replace him, because he's clearly not suited to the style Rodgers wants us to play and it's a shame he's too scared to drop him even if it would help us in some games. He can't go on playing two full games a week at that age even if he can somewhat recover during international breaks. Someone has to put the foot down soon, whether it is Gerrard himself or Rodgers.

Surely the issue isn't what he has though, these days its what he lacks. Which truly probably is the athleticism required to protect the back 4. Other teams had to learn to use their talismen wisely. United with giggs and Scholes for example.

It's impossible to deny that he lacks the stamina and agility of his younger days.  What does he have that others lack?  Composure, courage, the ability to choose the right pass - and execute it, ability to inject pace into an attacking move, to switch the play, to spot a run, to tackle, to execute a prefectly-timed charge into the box, to deliver fantastic crosses and score from a dead ball.  

Now, he's not as consistently brilliant at all of these things he once was, but he is one or two levels above anyone else in most of these areas.  Certainly there isn't anyone that we have who can match him in all those attributes.  

I agree, but the cons are slowly cancelling out the pros for me. He's still good enough as long as we don't bring in a more solid midfielder, but I hope we don't have to directly replace him, because he's clearly not suited to the style Rodgers wants us to play and it's a shame he's too scared to drop him even if it would help us in some games. He can't go on playing two full games a week at that age even if he can somewhat recover during international breaks. Someone has to put the foot down soon, whether it is Gerrard himself or Rodgers.

again, I would agree if we would improve without him in the team.  I don't believe we would at the moment, but I have no issue at all with him being left out for half the games if it means maximising his effectiveness in the games he does play.  

It's impossible to deny that he lacks the stamina and agility of his younger days. What does he have that others lack? Composure, courage, the ability to choose the right pass - and execute it, ability to inject pace into an attacking move, to switch the play, to spot a run, to tackle, to execute a prefectly-timed charge into the box, to deliver fantastic crosses and score from a dead ball.

Now, he's not as consistently brilliant at all of these things he once was, but he is one or two levels above anyone else in most of these areas. Certainly there isn't anyone that we have who can match him in all those attributes.

Most of these attributes fit more into either a conventional midfielder or an attacking one,hence some of our frustrations on here,me too.

It's impossible to deny that he lacks the stamina and agility of his younger days.  What does he have that others lack?  Composure, courage, the ability to choose the right pass - and execute it, ability to inject pace into an attacking move, to switch the play, to spot a run, to tackle, to execute a prefectly-timed charge into the box, to deliver fantastic crosses and score from a dead ball...

A good post in full.

I agree that Gerrard continues to earn his place. Our problem is that others have not developed to assume the extra that he once offered.

My own view is that as his game changes he will offer us more as a support striker than a defensive midfielder.

We should treat Gerrard like Roma treat Totti. Tell him to play behind the strikers and not run his bollocks off trying to get back and defend every fucking attack by the oppos.

I agree he's wasted playing the role he is. I get rodgers wants to extend his career. But he needs to be doing what he does best. And that is driving the team forward.

We should treat Gerrard like Roma treat Totti. Tell him to play behind the strikers and not run his bollocks off trying to get back and defend every fucking attack by the oppos.

Sound idea. All it needs is a good DM to protect the back four and break up attacks.