You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Southampton (August 17th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Not sure Brendan will blood Moreno away at City, especially if it means Manquillo on the other flank as well. Would take balls but also be a big risk this early. Any ideas if Flanno may be back in time?

We need Enrique back for City.

Three points was crucial today so I am happy, performances should start coming around the end of september when everyone's fit.

Lucas should never start ahead of Allen again and really should be sold, Coutinho still looks like hes going to be inconsistent this season which is why I think another top attacking midfielder is needed.

Three points was crucial today so I am happy, performances should start coming around the end of september when everyone's fit.

Lucas should never start ahead of Allen again and really should be sold, Coutinho still looks like hes going to be inconsistent this season which is why I think another top attacking midfielder is needed.

Not with Lallana and Markovic to return. We need a striker more importantly.

• Upvote 1

From BBC

Liverpool 2-1 Southampton

Of the 22 men who started, only Fraser Forster has had fewer touches than Daniel Sturridge, but he has had the one which makes the difference with seven minutes left.

Just shows how horrid Gerrard, Lucas and Coutinho were. Totally unable to provide service to their forwards and inept at defending too.

• Upvote 1

So relieved Moreno will be available from now on. I feel sorry for Glen, but his confidence is shot after so many poor displays.

I don't. He's been paid a fucking fortune and turns in shite display after shite display and keeps hungrier, better players out of the first team.

If I never see Johnson (or Lucas) ever again it will be far, far too soon.

• Upvote 3

Love the kid but he trying way too hard to play the worldie ball at every opportunity.

In the first half he was dribbling way too much and did not pass enough.

In the second half after having a word with Rodgers, he tries to pass more and he gets criticized for it. 

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

What I do I agree with you is that whatever he did today did not come off. 

Studge, Sterling and Coutinho were massively isolated by a totally imbalanced, negative, cautious team selection.

Only Hendo offered any semblance of link to the forward 3.

Lucas ? What does he offer ? What does he do ?

Lucas wants to be Gerrard, but newsflash amigo, we already have Gerrard and that position is filled. We need far more and he is abjectly incapable of provide anything progressive or protective.

Rodgers tried to implement a number of tactical developments today. The formation was obviously different, a 4-4-3. Lucas and Gerrard were the holding midfielders, and Henderson played ahead of them, pushing forward, along with the full-backs, who were stationed out wide and also looked to attack whenever possible. Normally this would create a problem for the centre-backs, who would have to mark the strikers and watch the space located on the wings. Rodgers therefore moved Gerrard into the centre of defence when we attacking, where the threat from the wings could be nullified; Lucas was left as the only holding-midfielder. Sterling and Coutinho would try move into the pocket of space in front of the Southampton defence, attempting to overload their midfield and defence, as they would have to deal with 6 players (Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Johnson, Manquillo, and Henderson) who were all seeking to provide options, as well as pressing if we lost the ball.

It didn't work very well, however, because of Southampton's pressure and physicality. Sterling and Coutinho consistently failed to turn challenging players and resorted to backwards passes. I think Lallana will be better in this regard because he looks more powerful. Manquillo and Johnson also did little in an attacking sense, constantly running into a splurge of Southampton's players; Moreno may rectify this, I don't know yet. Creating more problems, Lucas didn't have the mobility to close down stop counter-attacks, and he didn't have the ability to play any vaguely productive balls.

In theory, this arrangement was supposed to stop us conceding so many goals, while preserving our attacking potential. Strangely, we never played this formation last season, when it would of suited us more. (There would of been clear problems with the full-backs, but we had one of the best attacking players in the world.) Rodgers probably didn't want to upset Sturridge or Suarez by moving them out wide.

We are going to play teams who set up like Southampton all season, so it's important that we fix these problems. It makes the need for a robust and creative striker more salient. I think we will struggle all season otherwise.

• Upvote 3

Delighted with the win, the performance not so much. Then again, isn't it the sign of a good team that wins when not playing well?!

Anyways, what I saw from my couch:

Lucas is finished as a premier league footballer. He was so far off the pace it's scary.

Johnson was Johnson. Hopefully Moreno turns out ok.

Coutinho seemed to be trying too hard. Not a bad complaint, but sometimes the simple ball will do.

On the plus side:

Sterling and Sturridge both scored. Good sign of things to come.

Manquillo looks a very tidy player. Reminds me so much of Arbeloa, even the way he runs! I realise Josemi had a blinding first game for us, but hopefully this kid is better!

Lovren is a great signing.

Mignolet is a great shot stopper.

Henderson had a great game. His ball for Sterling's goal was sublime. He is so important to us at this stage.

The pitch seemed dead or something. Or maybe it wasn't watered. Didn't we get it relaid during the summer?