You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I actually quite like Dejan Lovren, I don't think he's a terrible player, and in a different team in a different system he'd be fine.

I also think there is no place for this kind of abuse and he should report it. To Instagram who would ban the user, or even the police.

But what he shouldn't do, is post it as an 'Instagram story', because it gives airtime to the person they don't deserve, and is frankly is something a professional footballer at one of the worlds biggest clubs should be a bit above, frankly.

I think he embarrasses himself with his frequent public outbursts,too much for it to be a coincidence.

He's just not mentally tough enough to play for this club.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

This might sound a weird question to ask, but are players contractually obliged by clubs to have social media accounts? I'm mainly thinking to plug club tat and come out with glib comments before and after games. It's honestly beyond me why anybody in the public eye would have a social media profile because the amount of posts you receive from cranks must be off the scale.

Not that I'm saying that the death threats are anything but deplorable, of course. That in itself is a mentality I struggle to comprehend. A lot of issues there.

• Upvote 1

This might sound a weird question to ask, but are players contractually obliged by clubs to have social media accounts? I'm mainly thinking to plug club tat and come out with glib comments before and after games. It's honestly beyond me why anybody in the public eye would have a social media profile because the amount of posts you receive from cranks must be off the scale.

Not that I'm saying that the death threats are anything but deplorable, of course. That in itself is a mentality I struggle to comprehend. A lot of issues there.

Probably a different generation mate! 

He is still in his 20's and social media is relatively ubiquitous in the younger set. I don't know why anyone would engage with social media. Far too many cunts out there - and social media increases the potential of meeting them. 

I like the way Hades - the social policeman thinks it is fine to threaten to murder someone's family! 

I'm from the same generation as Lovren, Jockey mate! I'm 29!

The only thing I bother with is Facebook, as I've got mates from school who've moved all over, along with mates from the States, Japan, Germany and elsewhere I've met over the years I've been travelling, so it's pretty handy for keeping in touch with them. Can't be arsed with posting pics, articles or status updates- fuck that. Everything else gets skimmed.

For the most part, it's really opened up this weird solipsistic mindset, whereby only you, your beliefs and your own gratification are all that matter, rendering anything or anybody that doesn't conform to your sensibilities as fair game for some abhorrent shit. I'm obviously not talking about responses to stuff by fascist loons or anything like that; more innocuous shite that people post, the way something innocent can be completely misconstrued, or people can get their knickers in a twist over something like football to the extent of sending a man and his family death threats.

Largely, social media just seems like a vortex of narcissism, self-loathing and complete and utter misery.

• Upvote 1

I'm from the same generation as Lovren, Jockey mate! I'm 29!

The only thing I bother with is Facebook, as I've got mates from school who've moved all over, along with mates from the States, Japan, Germany and elsewhere I've met over the years I've been travelling, so it's pretty handy for keeping in touch with them. Can't be arsed with posting pics, articles or status updates- fuck that. Everything else gets skimmed.

For the most part, it's really opened up this weird solipsistic mindset, whereby only you, your beliefs and your own gratification are all that matter, rendering anything or anybody that doesn't conform to your sensibilities as fair game for some abhorrent shit. I'm obviously not talking about responses to stuff by fascist loons or anything like that; more innocuous shite that people post, the way something innocent can be completely misconstrued, or people can get their knickers in a twist over something like football to the extent of sending a man and his family death threats.

Largely, social media just seems like a vortex of narcissism, self-loathing and complete and utter misery.

Haha - you young cunt you! 

I don't do any of them in that regard. I have twitter but follow - I don't tweet anything. Couldn't agree more with what you have described social media as. If I was a footballer now - I wouldn't engage with social media on any level. 

I like the way Hades - the social policeman thinks it is fine to threaten to murder someone's family! 

Give over, chief. Social media is a joke and attracts the worst of humanity. If you're a professional footballer you should be staying off it unless you can handle the lunacy. 

Give over, chief. Social media is a joke and attracts the worst of humanity. If you're a professional footballer you should be staying off it unless you can handle the lunacy. 

Ah that old chestnut. Yeah 'ill murder your family' is lunacy isn't it - just ignore that shit from fans. 

He isn't right personal life wise from what I gather, he should just ignore the shit, easier said than done but some people have had shit like this for real ( I know he left the Balkans young )

Look at the shit Gerrard put up with. I don't think this is even the first time this shit will have happened, he is obviously emotional. Using it as an excuse? Who knows.

Won't be the first person this has happened to unfortunately, some spotty Herbert behind a monitor probably. People can be cunts.

He isn't right personal life wise from what I gather, he should just ignore the shit, easier said than done but some people have had shit like this for real ( I know he left the Balkans young )

Look at the shit Gerrard put up with. I don't think this is even the first time this shit will have happened, he is obviously emotional. Using it as an excuse? Who knows.

Won't be the first person this has happened to unfortunately, some spotty Herbert behind a monitor probably. People can be cunts.

Pretty sure Lovren has had to put up with far worse trauma than this during his life, having been a war refugee.

However, he’s well within his rights to call out the absolute lowlife cunts who think it’s ok to threaten public figures and their families with murder.

Scum like that should be prosecuted.

Pretty sure Lovren has had to put up with far worse trauma than this during his life, having been a war refugee.

However, he’s well within his rights to call out the absolute lowlife cunts who think it’s ok to threaten public figures and their families with murder.

Indeed they should if traced. I did mention leaving his home country.

Why didn't he just report it to the police and leave it with them rather than these statements which just feed oxygen to the stupid cunts that write these things?

He's an awful footballer and is typical of why we're so shit at present but of course these vile rants are inexcusable. Just stay off public social media and use it for friends and family,this doesn't just go for Lovren but for all footballers.

• Upvote 2

Liverpool supporters pride themselves on their togetherness - the club’s motto, ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, proves that - and they’ve responded to Lovren’s abuse in a classy way.

Several fans are making a late push to try to get the centre-back to win the club’s Player of the Month award for October.

At the time of writing, Lovren has received 9 per cent of the votes. That’s the third-highest total and it’s unlikely he will surpass Mohamed Salah, who has received 55 per cent of votes.

Still, it’s a nice gesture to a player whose confidence is pretty low right now.

690.jpg