You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lazar Marković

WhiskeyJar

You sound a bit like a Blue in that post.

Ah, bless. Makes me laugh some of the bullshit you get on this forum at times. Best thing is some of you people are deadly serious about it, like some king canute desparately trying to hold back the advancement of a  modern evolving lexicon.

Too early to tell with the lad, but looks like an expensive gamble. Henderson had 70 PL games behind him when he arrived, the risk was lower even if the potential upside might not be so high as Markovic.

I think that all these signings can only be properly assessed at the end of the season.

He is exactly that, is it any wonder why we continue to spectacularly fuck up in the transfer market with this type of strategy?

Needs a good run in the team before we can really tell if he's up to playing regularly.

Its clear as day he's not up to playing regularly at this moment and probably for some time to come, he has to earn a regular place in the team by playing well when he gets a chance, we haven't got time this season to be waiting around for him to show us something, we need to start winning games quickly.

Luis Alberto showed us more in his brief spells on the pitch than what Markovic has.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reasonably fortunate in my life so far as to have seen some great places and attended some memorable sporting and musical events. Recounting the time I saw Lazar Markovic play in flesh will not loom large in the memory when I am in my dotage. Once seen instantly forgotten   

Ridiculous price tag but he's still only a kid.

Sterling often flattered to deceive in Rodgers' first season and was a different player last term.

Tonight, the legend begins.

I'd argue Sterling struggled up until this time last season, he looked dreadful at times, he looked slow, wouldn't take on his man and gave the ball 2/3 yards instead of doing something his self. He took an age to actually make a decision too.

Very similar to how Markovic has been playing if you ask me.

Hopefully you're right though mate and tonight is the night!

It isn't just that he's shown little or nothing as a footballer, it's that he doesn't seem to have all that much pace - I haven't seen him beat anyone on pace in the games he's played.

We had Ibe, who's also a kid and who has tons of pace, which we've seen whether or not he comes close to good as a footballer.

I suspect he is undertaking a similar bulking / muscle building programme as Raheem was when he had his slump last season. That type of training fries your nervous system and vastly reduces your acceleration / pace. Apparently he is lightning quick but we have hardly seen it. However, there is no doubt that he was very slight physically for the PL so something had to be done about that if he is to be effective and reach his potential. He will probably have much more of an impact in the second half of the season, although he could hardly have less!!

I'd argue Sterling struggled up until this time last season, he looked dreadful at times, he looked slow, wouldn't take on his man and gave the ball 2/3 yards instead of doing something his self. He took an age to actually make a decision too.

Very similar to how Markovic has been playing if you ask me.

Very similar to how Sterling is playing right now.

Sterling is shot, it's coming upto a year of non stop playing for him and he's now running on fumes.

He needs a decent break, so much for Rodgers protecting him and keeping him from burnout/injuries, he's being run into the ground this season.

So? When there's an arse to be saved, it's women and children first.

Sterling is shot, it's coming upto a year of non stop playing for him and he's now running on fumes.

He needs a decent break, so much for Rodgers protecting him and keeping him from burnout/injuries, he's being run into the ground this season.

His management of him has been so poor this season. Makes a big point of resting him for that Villa game saying how he needs a rest (rather than just saying nothing and putting it down as using the squad for a long season) and then he brings him on after an hour as the big hope to save the game to add pressure. Then he plays nearly every minute since including the 120 minutes in the 3rd round of the league cup. Why not leave him out that game for a start? That Villa game was where everything started going to shit and was the first game without Sturridge and leaving out Sterling didn't help. Ever since that Boro game and the furore over tiredness with England he's looked on his arse. It's just shocking squad management.

Sterling's goosed and offering nothing, so he may as well be rotated with Markovic. Instead one's burnt out and short of confidence and the other is just not going to develop without playing. 

• Upvote 1

Sterling is being overplayed because our new signings are shit. Gerrard is being played out of position because we didn't sign a DM. Most of our problems stem from atrocious transfer activity.

Sterling's being overplayed because Rodgers said before this season we won't feel absence of Suarez because we have Raheem. Rodgers spent all Summer talking him up and now is surprised why he's the marked player in every game. 

We signed Emre Can who should play in Gerrard's position. Gerrard plays because he's Steven Gerrard. 

Sterling's being overplayed because Rodgers said before this season we won't feel absence of Suarez because we have Raheem. Rodgers spent all Summer talking him up and now is surprised why he's the marked player in every game.

We signed Emre Can who should play in Gerrard's position. Gerrard plays because he's Steven Gerrard.

I don't buy all this stuff about Gerrard. If Gerrard had that much influence then he'd surely choose to play a role where he's not constantly humiliated.

• Upvote 1

You could also say that Emre Can isn't playing because he's Emre Can.

• 2 weeks later...