You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

JavaScript

I'm trying to teach myself javascript using www.codecadamy.com.

Anyone on here program in JavaScript have any tips, advice etc?

Any software I would likely need?

Any little projects to help further my development once I complete the codecadamy module?

Would I be best to get my own website set up for testing etc?

Do I need to learn HTML and CSS alongside this?

HTML and CSS.  Definitely. 

You don't need a web server/site to start with.  The additional complexity would only distract. When you want to start hitting databases and the like though you will need to address that.  Something like xampp (to run locally) or a site on one of the free hosters like x10 hosting would suffice.

The most important software to get is a good code editor.  It should have language support for HTML/CSS/Javascript built-in, offer code completion, syntax highlighting, and hook to the language references.  Notepad++, sublimetext, ... 

Then settle on your primary browser and become intimately familiar with the built-in/available developer toolset for debugging, logging, validation etc.  That in itself is a big learning exercise!

After code academy, I personally, would search out for the "Recipe" books.  Their style is usually lot's of little projects, that can get quite advanced but are focused and can be easily messed around with to make something useful.  Much better than attempting the overwhelming task of creating a whole site, which is what people usually try next!

There are lots of roles within the IT industry from Database Development to Operating System Administration to Testers to Designers to..... it goes on. Programmers are just one part of it all.

So the first question is - what would you like to do? The second - are you sure you want it as a career? You'll most likely spend 8 hours a day at a PC hidden from the outside world. They'll be moments where you'll have to work all hours god sends to meet a deadline and other times when there will be absolutely nothing to do. It has its upsides certainly, but a deskjob isn't for everyone.

Where to start? Your best bet is to find a course that will teach you the basics.

Best tip? Constantly teach yourself. The IT industry changes very quickly and you must keep up with the latest advances and technologies. You have to keep reading and keep learning.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I got a job in a software development team for local government, even though I can't code. I've basically got paid to spend the past week, and most likely the next few weeks/months, to do what I wanted to but just didn't have time for: learn to code.

Currently learning HTML and CSS. They are putting me on several training courses aswell (.NET among others). I'm starting my second year with the OU next month too.

Jackpot  :)

Yes, I know, smilies. But I'm happy, so there.

Edit: M_B: Because its local government they're very flexible. I work compressed hours Mon-Thur which allows me to have my daughter Thur-Sun. I get one or two of those days remote working aswell. So I only have to come in to the office a miximum of 3 days a week, possibly 2.

Regarding future career, i'm not entirely sure. I know I've always enjoyed programming in the small tasks I have managed so i'm going to follow this path, take the training and see where I am once I have my degree. I like the idea of creating, spec'ing and designing software and applications, but who knows how i'll feel after 3 more years with the head in the monitor. At the moment though I'm working 10 hour days here, heading home and doing another 3-5 hours trying to set up my Microserver/NAS/Raspberry Pi/XBMC. I was always passionate about computers but was in a bad rut and didn't see a way out, but I've reignited that flame and I feel sorry for the other half now to be honest.

• Upvote 3

I'll be learning a lot over the next few years.

Just in the last month I've been getting my head around setting up a home network, ubuntu, samba shares, raspbmc, terminal/CLI/bash, HTML, CSS, Javascript, SSH and more that I can't rememeber because my heads spinning too fast.

I set up remote transmission on a microserver so I can add torrents from anywhere. This, coupled with a 76Mbps fibre optic connection being installed last week, has led me to download 750GB in ONE week. The irony is all this time and effort means I don't have time to watch even half an hours TV a day. My first sick day will be excellent though!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good on yer. Well done.

.NET is a great thing to learn for your career. Its the opposite side of the coin to Java\J2EE. Plus its a piece of piss (and so is Java). You need to get your head around Object Orientation - practice, practice, practice.

Linux admin is a good thing to learn (ubuntu) - you'll be doing a lot on it if its your dev environment and even if it isn't then you'll most likely still be using it for hosting apps. You don't need to be a guru if you want to be a programmer (most companies have system admins for that), but its good to know your way around it as a developer.

Client side skills - HTML, CSS, Javascript etc can provide a career in itself. There are many developers who make a living from just coding client side, but in my opinion it needs to be part of an overall skill set.

But anyway. One step at a time as I tell my junior programmers :). Focus on becoming a good programmer and know your way around an environment. And it enjoy it - its fun ! (And if it isn't you are in the wrong company ;) )