You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Coutinho is a far superior centre mid than a left sided forward. After watching the obligatory YouTube vids of keita I’d say he’s pretty similar to phil in the way he moves the ball forward.

True(ish), Coutinho is an 8 come 10 for me, Keita is more a classic box-to-box player.  We'd need more creativity than him if Coutinho goes.

True(ish), Coutinho is an 8 come 10 for me, Keita is more a classic box-to-box player.  We'd need more creativity than him if Coutinho goes.

We’ve had a Xabi Alonso sized hole in our midfield since Xabi left (although Gerrard done well THAT season) and if we could find a similar style cm whose not afraid to take the ball of the centre backs and slow or increase the tempo of the game to get it back in our control then we’ll be alright if Phil goes.

N.b I have no idea of any player out there who fits the bill as I get my knowledge of European footballers from the transfer threads on here.

We’ve had a Xabi Alonso sized hole in our midfield since Xabi left (although Gerrard done well THAT season) and if we could find a similar style cm whose not afraid to take the ball of the centre backs and slow or increase the tempo of the game to get it back in our control then we’ll be alright if Phil goes.

N.b I have no idea of any player out there who fits the bill as I get my knowledge of European footballers from the transfer threads on here.

Phil doesn't have the smarts to do the Xabi stuff.  He's got the tricks but not the brains, don't know about Keita either.

Henderson is in the Xabi role right now, alas.  Keita looks most like a well polished Momo to me (the player not the mentalist, although...).

Ah, you have the same secret source as me!

Just read that Juve have no intention of going after Can even though his contract is winding down.

Only thing I can think of is Bayern have got in his ear and he wants another go at it there, he probably sees it as the best way to becoming a Germany regular starter. I did think when Gerrard mentioned Bayern the other day that he knew something we didn’t because up until that point id only heard the Bayern link once and that was months ago. He needs to develop here for another season or two at least to iron out his flaws before he even thinks about going to Bayern or he’ll go the same way as other young Germans who go there who aren’t the finished article.

• Upvote 1

Apparently been offered £160k a week to stay.

I personally think it’s worth paying him it, even if it’s only for a season or two. We won’t be getting a fee for him at this rate so by giving him say £8m a year or whatever it works out as and then selling him on, at the moment we’ve invested £10m transfer fee and a few million more on wages with nothing in return.

Even if that were true, and it's debatable, there wouldn't be much in it. None of them have set the world alight.

Don't believe so at all. Can's a complete liability more often than not. A 4/10 player. You can't carry some one like that.

Henderson and Wijnaldum, whilst neither above average, can and have been cogs in well oiled machines.

Don't believe so at all. Can's a complete liability more often than not. A 4/10 player. You can't carry some one like that.

Henderson and Wijnaldum, whilst neither above average, can and have been cogs in well oiled machines.

Can has much greater upside though and the issues he has are the kind of things that improve as you age.  Like you, I don't want him near the team right now BUT there is that upside to think of, if we can tie him down long-term.

Apparently been offered £160k a week to stay.

I personally think it’s worth paying him it, even if it’s only for a season or two. We won’t be getting a fee for him at this rate so by giving him say £8m a year or whatever it works out as and then selling him on, at the moment we’ve invested £10m transfer fee and a few million more on wages with nothing in return.

Why are you posting shit without naming the source? Because I've searched for this and found nothing.