You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Guest Pistonbroke

He played very well against the Mancs.  What impressed me most was his decision making.  

He did and was a lot better. However, he still rolled the ball out to a player who was marked and facing Mingolet, this leaves no other option than said player having to play the ball back to him and Simon hoofing it aimlessly up the field due to being under more pressure from the attacking players. he did it at least on two occasions, needs to cut that shit out. 

Guest Pistonbroke

He was still under pressure quickly after receiving the ball, no point putting yourself under that pressure, plus we couldn't have countered as man U had all their players behind the player receiving the ball and more or less in position. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would have crept in even if he'd been ready. He was near the middle of the goal and the wall wasnt in the right position.

Couple of friends have the same opinion, and perhaps y'all are right but for me it's missing the point. There's no way we should employ a keeper that isn't ready for a free kick, and the fact that the german hair model can't supplant him seems pretty damning. I do still believe Karius can come good, but we'd be fucking stupid not to sign another keeper in the summer. As for Mignolet, he is what he is, and I've accepted his level but it's not good enough for our ambitions.

He's a better keeper than people give him credit for. He does make some crucial saves and his all round game including dealing with crosses and playing out from the back is good. The tide has been against him for a while though so people don't want to see any of that.

Last night though, that free kick summed up why we signed a new keeper and why he probably won't ever be good enough. He's just braindead. You can't excuse losing concentration in a nothing game never mind a game on a knife edge like last night. To miss the whistle and take your eyes off the ball is absolutely criminal.

That post above about Karius not being able to supplant him is stupid. Karius got his chance and made repeated fuck ups. It doesn't mean he's not good enough either it just means he wasn't ready. Mignolet hadn't put a foot wrong up until last night and was dropped without earlier this season for nothing as well so there was no way he was just going to get dropped again. Now though I think Karius deserves his second chance. The penalty save is a positive for Mignolet but isn't enough.

• Upvote 3

Mignolet has definitely improved,

What he did last night was stupid in not keeping eye on the ref but Clattenberg was a twat to do what he did, He atoned for it later with the saved pen . His distribution and general play seems better. Definitely have him ahead of Karius for the time being. He's got 15 games to secure his future at the club . Lets see if he's good enough and wants its enough, 

• Upvote 1

6/12 pens he's saved for us in the league, that's a superb record. Think Pepe only saved 3 in his time here. Last night much like league cup final last year summed him up very well, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Obviously not a great trait for a keeper. However he's still quite underrated, imagine if he put in a performance like lloris at city.

Not a massive fan of Mingolet but he's not in the same league as Grobbelaar for fuck ups, if you don't believe me check out a site by Dave Waller on YouTube it's got shit loads of Liverpool games on there and you'll find a stack of his fuck ups.

I'll pick out one for example West Ham v Liverpool 1985 the game ends up 2-2 thanks to yours truly...If Mingolet had made the mistakes he made in that one match he would have been rightly ripped.

Don't get me wrong I liked Brucie but time and not every match being covered can hide a multitude  of sins and I guess you forget how many he made.....Or maybe like me you don't

6/12 pens he's saved for us in the league, that's a superb record. Think Pepe only saved 3 in his time here. Last night much like league cup final last year summed him up very well, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Obviously not a great trait for a keeper. However he's still quite underrated, imagine if he put in a performance like lloris at city.

Six out of twelve? Really? That's a pretty astonishing rate. Fair fucks to him.

I feel sorry for Mignolet last night. He clearly didn't hear the refs whistle, so for me the ref should be making the effort to ensure the keeper hears or even sees he is blowing the whistle. The atmosphere was loud last night and the ref was standing beside the attacking players but 30 yards from the keeper. That benefited the attacking side in this instance, and that shouldn't be allowed. He should ensure the keeper hears or sees him blowing the whistle too.

Having said all that, no way was Mignolet saving it anyway.

• Upvote 3