You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We Own This City 8/10.

Some real heavy hitters involved in this, like David Simon, George Pelecanos, Ed Burns.

Halfway between The Wire and Show Me A Hero, or a more condensed The Wire, without the great characters, since it is based on real events. Marlo is a detective now.

Will demand a degree of patience with parallel storylines, multitude of characters in 6 episodes and jumping back and forth in time.

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

We Own This City 8/10.

Some real heavy hitters involved in this, like David Simon, George Pelecanos, Ed Burns.

Halfway between The Wire and Show Me A Hero, or a more condensed The Wire, without the great characters, since it is based on real events. Marlo is a detective now.

Will demand a degree of patience with parallel storylines, multitude of characters in 6 episodes and jumping back and forth in time.

It was the timeline jumping and hopping that was my only criticism of this show. Very surprised it hasn't got more love as I reckon it's David Simon's best work in quite a while.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was the timeline jumping and hopping that was my only criticism of this show. Very surprised it hasn't got more love as I reckon it's David Simon's best work in quite a while.

I couldn't find it mentioned in the thread, which is surprising (my searching may be shit though).  

They said about Show Me a Hero that it was like watching a dramatization of minutes from a council meeting or something, it seems when Simon is doing a true story he wants the viewers to be aware of it at all times and not be able to enjoy a linear story. Maybe it was the book's influence.

I felt Jon Bernthal as Wayne Jenkins was slightly overacting, at first you think he is great, then you start noticing he is a notch above everyone else in "acting" and should tone it down a bit.

15 hours ago, SasaS said:

We Own This City 8/10.

I watched it and mentioned it on here about 6 months ago. Enjoyed it. I like that John Bernthal. 

He’s good in American Gigolo as well. 

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I watched it and mentioned it on here about 6 months ago. Enjoyed it. I like that John Bernthal. 

He’s good in American Gigolo as well. 

Then I don't know how to search any more or the feature is off.

I thought Bernthal / Jenkins was acting with capital A, I like understated acting, like what Jamie Hector who played Marlo Stanfield in The Wire does with detective Sean Suiter, how he stands, turns around, wears the suit self-consciously.  I see he is in Bosch too, which I don't watch.

• Upvote 2

Borgia (2011-2014) 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/

6 episodes into this joint French Czech Italian German production. 

Stars John Doman as Rodrigo Borgia a cardinal in Rome just as the Spanish finally reconquer all of Spain with the fall of the last Moorish kingdom of Granada and “discover the New World”, the Italian city states and kingdoms jockey for power, the French are French and no one had heard of Martin Luther. 

Enjoying this quite a bit. (Not seen

the Jeremy Irons version)

Plenty of intrigue, backstabbing, and murder along with some Renaissance levels whoremongering from

the holy men of the cloth. God be praised! 

7.5/10 

Kodi Real Debrid The Promise 

• Upvote 1

Really enjoying Shrinking, nothing groundbreaking, just good fun. 8/10

I used to watch the daily show years ago just because Jessica Williams was the cultural correspondent, followed (stalked) her work for a while and have long been of the opinion that she's the perfect woman.  In the latest episode of Shrinking she's in her underwear at the start, perfect doesn't feel sufficient now.

3 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The Last of Us Ep 8 - outstanding and a return to form but it's showing the main characters as utter cunts.

It was fantastic.  Don't agree with utter cunts, they're just trying to survive and complete their journey fighting utter cunts along the way.

I have to say too, no way this week's episode, the ending in particular, would have the same impact without seeing Ellie's story in episode 7.  In general, if you still think episode 7 was unnecessary then I don't know what to say.

6 hours ago, Moo said:

It was fantastic.  Don't agree with utter cunts, they're just trying to survive and complete their journey fighting utter cunts along the way.

I have to say too, no way this week's episode, the ending in particular, would have the same impact without seeing Ellie's story in episode 7.  In general, if you still think episode 7 was unnecessary then I don't know what to say.

I don't want to add spoilers but it would have made sense to make a quick pop between the eyes rather than negotiate with people who she clearly had no trust for. They're definitely setting the characters up to make what happens to Joel more palatable to the viewers as the games were seriously marred by the character's development.

49 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

They're definitely setting the characters up to make what happens to Joel more palatable to the viewers as the games were seriously marred by the character's development.

In what way?

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I don't want to add spoilers but it would have made sense to make a quick pop between the eyes rather than negotiate with people who she clearly had no trust for. They're definitely setting the characters up to make what happens to Joel more palatable to the viewers as the games were seriously marred by the character's development.

I don't know a great deal about the games so can only judge really on what I am seeing on the show. They could be considered utter cunts if you don't take their situation into account, but you have to because many people they've encountered have been been bigger cunts than they are.

I'm guessing she negotiated because they had something she desperately wanted.

It's already been established that both Joel and Tommy have been the kind of people that they've encountered throughout the show.

There's a weird assumption amongst those who dislike the second game that Joel is some Jason Bourne-esque figure when in reality he's a jaded 50+ year old survivor who does what he needs to survive irrespective of the morality of it.