You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The girl who plays Ellie is exceptional, she gets a lot of hate because shes not the pretty Ellie from the games but she's absolutely nailing the role.

The characters are being portrayed exactly how they were in the game, Joel was a bad man, the torture scene is straight from the game he has zero qualms about torturing people if it gets him ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 04/03/2023 at 15:32, Kepler-186 said:

Borgia (2011-2014) 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/

6 episodes into this joint French Czech Italian German production. 

Stars John Doman as Rodrigo Borgia a cardinal in Rome just as the Spanish finally reconquer all of Spain with the fall of the last Moorish kingdom of Granada and “discover the New World”, the Italian city states and kingdoms jockey for power, the French are French and no one had heard of Martin Luther. 

Enjoying this quite a bit. (Not seen

the Jeremy Irons version)

Plenty of intrigue, backstabbing, and murder along with some Renaissance levels whoremongering from

the holy men of the cloth. God be praised! 

7.5/10 

Kodi Real Debrid The Promise 

This was on about the same time as The Borgias from HBO or showtime (which I really enjoyed), I came across this because of the American version, but I just couldn't get into it because of it. Although I seem to remember at the time it was rated higher of the 2 shows. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The girl who plays Ellie is exceptional, she gets a lot of hate because shes not the pretty Ellie from the games but she's absolutely nailing the role.

The characters are being portrayed exactly how they were in the game, Joel was a bad man, the torture scene is straight from the game he has zero qualms about torturing people if it gets him ahead. 

I've not played the game, I have no intention of ever playing the game and I think she's been a real weak link throughout.

I thought she was fantastic in her small supporting role in GOT but she's just not good in this. Trying too hard? Maybe.

In fairness though, the script doesn't do any of them any favours, there are few believable conversations, each one comes across as forced and artificial, lifted from the games cut scenes and shoehorned into an expensive drama.

It's not bad but it's not great either imo, a bunch of oddballs and misfits, charicatures with precious little authenticity.

Interesting, it’s been a long while since I played it and don’t recall him being a bad ass. Just strong and stoic but I might be recalling from other games like uncharted. It’s a great show and perhaps it’s truer to its source than I’m giving it credit. 

Think she has been the standout 

She is outstanding 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

This was on about the same time as The Borgias from HBO or showtime (which I really enjoyed), I came across this because of the American version, but I just couldn't get into it because of it. Although I seem to remember at the time it was rated higher of the 2 shows. 

I remember the one you watched getting advertised but didn’t get round to it. Then on a The Wire Twitter post it was pointed out Rawls (John Doman) is quality in this version so I gave it a watch. Just sticking an episode on every other day or so and enjoying it. 

Dublin Narcos. The Irish version of the recent Liverpool drug dealing documentary. Watched it on the Sky Go app. 

Decent watch. Funny in parts. Although the bits about the murder of Veronica Guerin weren’t. Bumped off by cowards who couldn’t deal with their criminality being discussed in the public domain. 

7/10

On 06/03/2023 at 18:16, Shooter in the Motor said:

I don't want to add spoilers but it would have made sense to make a quick pop between the eyes rather than negotiate with people who she clearly had no trust for. They're definitely setting the characters up to make what happens to Joel more palatable to the viewers as the games were seriously marred by the character's development.

"i don't want to add spoilers" but you basically did anyway. Having never played the games i had no idea of the outcome but i can take an educated guess now.  

On 06/03/2023 at 20:11, Bobby Hundreds said:

I was a bit tired of her shtick but she was seriously good in the last episode.

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

"i don't want to add spoilers" but you basically did anyway. Having never played the games i had no idea of the outcome but i can take an educated guess now.  

I have not played the second game yet so I actually don’t know what happens to Joel but I’m surprised by the characterisations as in the first game the personality traits are quite different to the show. All I know about what happens to ajoel in the game is that a lot of people didn’t enjoy the game as a result. It might be they’re trying to keep people on their toes whether they’ve played the games or not.

what I’m talking about is redeeming the fans of the games to try and make up for their fan fury.

20 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I have not played the second game yet so I actually don’t know what happens to Joel but I’m surprised by the characterisations as in the first game the personality traits are quite different to the show. All I know about what happens to ajoel in the game is that a lot of people didn’t enjoy the game as a result. It might be they’re trying to keep people on their toes whether they’ve played the games or not.

what I’m talking about is redeeming the fans of the games to try and make up for their fan fury.

The only character trait in the show, of the main characters, that is different is Ellie, she's a lot more brash in the TV show but there's a technical reason why she couldn't be like that in the game even if it's closer to what Naughty Dog wanted.

There's definitely elements of Joel's backstory that people ignore which plays into the perception through the first game and into the second though.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What is the storyline?

A woman who knows when people are lying, she's on the run from the mob and as she moves from town to town she ends up involved in murder mysteries.

A bit like Quantum Leap in that there's the common thread but with standalone episodes.