You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Deloitte Money League

xerxes

The latest results see us slip out of the top ten, from ninth down to twelfth, with the power of the CL places apparent at home and abroad.

The revenues of both PSG and Man City demonstrate that massive cash injections can be converted into revenue uplift, as well as improvement in performance on the pitch.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/5792/premier-league/2014/01/23/4562261/deloitte-money-list-manchester-united-drop-out-of-top-three

What methods have PSG used to mushroom their revenue?

Their owners are giving them record backdated sponsorships that don't even require their names on shirts or anything. Amazing how you can increase your revenues, when owned by super-billionaires.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Bump.

The latest Deloitte Money League report has been published and Liverpool are in 9th place on the list - a jump of 3 places on last year. The club's accounts for 2013/14 haven't yet been published but it seems the figures in the report are based on those accounts. When the club's last accounts (for 2012/13) were published a year ago and showed total revenue to be around £210m, I said I expected the numbers for the following season to be over £250m, and split into around £100m apiece for television and commercial revenue and around £50m for matchday revenue. This is pretty much exactly how it's panned out.

Matchday - £51m

Broadcasting - £101m

Commercial - £103.8m

Total - £255.8m

Some of our new commercial deals will not be shown until the next set of accounts for 2014/15 (to be published around a year from now), and neither will Champions League or Europa League revenues. I also think matchday income will have risen by another 10% so I reckon we'll be close to if not above £300m in total revenue for 2014/15. Our next big revenue spikes will be from the next kit sponsorship deal (be it Standard Chartered or somebody else) and the stadium expansion.

I've no idea whether or not the club actually turned a profit in 2013/14 because the club's accounts haven't yet been published but if we have, that would be the first time under FSG's ownership that we've managed to do so.

Anyway, here's a link to the latest money league report. Liverpool's numbers are on page 23.

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/deloitte-football-money-league-2015.PDF

• Upvote 1

as impressive as our numbers are, i look at a few teams on that list and just shake my head, PSG Commercial - £274m, Man City Commercial £165.8m, absolute fucking bollocks, not a fucking hope in hell, i bet there are about a million City shirts in a warehouse somewhere in Abu Dhabi purchased by MC owner.

PSG have a commercial deal with some Qatari authority linked to their owners which earns them around £150m a year. It's just some bollocks way for the owners to pump money into the club and circumvent FFP.

If FFP is genuinely here to stay, I'd expect these Deloitte reports to start publishing FFP-adjusted figures alongside the full figures in the next few years.

Seriously, how the fuck have Man City got 60%+ higher commercial revenue than us?

Thanks to a similarly inflated commercial deal to that of PSG. It's probably a big reason as to why UEFA handed them both huge financial penalties. Rather than a statement of intent to make clubs follow the rules, it was a shakedown and easy money for UEFA.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to a similarly inflated commercial deal to that of PSG. It's probably a big reason as to why UEFA handed them both huge financial penalties. Rather than a statement of intent to make clubs follow the rules, it was a shakedown and easy money for UEFA.

Gotta love modern day football.

Our revenue grew by £60m which is impressive but arse grew by £76m, chelsea by £84m, city by £98m (yeah right!) and PSG by £76m.

That just shows that despite running, we're still losing ground. Id say the only teams above us genuinely increasing their turn over legitimately rather than dodgey dealings are (cough) manchester united and bayern followed by arse.

I honestly can never understand how we lag behind these other clubs in commercial revenue.

We have one of if not the highest percentage of supporters who go the match and fit the profile of shirt buying, club shop tat buying supporters that swell the coffers. You only have to see the coaches on a matchday lined up on priory road to know that and see them swamping the club shop.

We have massive appeal to the Asian market and all round the world we seem to be a big draw, USA our support outstripped City when we played them there. Australia we filled that massive cricket ground, when we were in Thailand and Malaysia we were drawing bigger crowds than Arsenal were when there at the same time.

I realise there is more than just that but I just don't see how we lag behind, we really should only be behind the Mancs really, as they have had a big head start on us in taking advantage of the modern world and footy

I honestly can never understand how we lag behind these other clubs in commercial revenue.

We have one of if not the highest percentage of supporters who go the match and fit the profile of shirt buying, club shop tat buying supporters that swell the coffers. You only have to see the coaches on a matchday lined up on priory road to know that and see them swamping the club shop.

Those coaches are mostly full of regular match goers who are part of supporters clubs that just happen to far away. That doesn't equate to merchandise spending.

I think as a percentage of ticket holders for each home game the number of supporters spending money on merchandise is a tiny fraction of the amount people like to imagine. People do spend money in the clubshop, but I don't think it's that significant an amount.