You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Taking your children on holiday during term time...

melons

From my experience, December is the lost month except participation in choir/ school plays, participation is still education but loads of filler including festive dvd's etc.

Before summer holidays, the kids get extra play breaks if weather good, all work is done and teachers just going throigh the motions. Obviously not saying all teachers like this but who can be motivated in final week of term for learning?

I can undersatnd teachers being pissed about it, they are there to teach xx kids yet a few dont show but its probably more jealousy based. Teachers need written permission to gert married during term time dont they/ do they?

That's a very good point, if the kids can do it why shouldn't the teacher nip off for a sunshine break - there's no harm in just a couple of weeks.

Over a year you've had him and he's still a bit straight laced.

Was he a vicar?

I reckon it was his ex wife, he wasn't allowed to take a piss without her say so. 

(might be exaggerating a bit there) 

It's a difficult one, if you look at it from the schools perspective there's the potential for a class of kids to all be at different stages of the curriculum at different times of the year. Some might for two weeks in early summer, others in winter or some at Easter. I bet that's a nightmare to track and bring kids back up to speed.

The idea that the majority of kids get a cultural experience is a complete pile of shit too. Some might (like Melons) but 90% will be sitting by the pool watching mum and dad sunbathe then having nuggets and chips for tea.

No one says you have to go abroad, our generation didn't suffer because we didn't go to Spain every year but mum and dad want a cheap 2 weeks in the sun.

I'd love one, family holiday abroad by plan runs out at around 7k without spending for us so we're sticking with the driving to France for a while! 

Melons; my kids are 6 & 11. Can say we have taken the 11 year out of school for holidays (2-3 days each time) 4 times and 1 planned for this year.

Yes, I get on with the Head but as far as I know she cant stop me. I know kids have taken 2 weeks off of term time, which I think is excessive.

Teachers do a great job but the whole of December was spent practising the festive show, watching dvd's and taking class work off the walls, ready for next term - same with the summer break.

Scooby Dudek; so after the marathon (congrats on that achievement btw) did your kid go to school on the Monday? Personally I would have went through with your plans and call in a 24hour bug, sly thing to do but your plans sound well bettter than 1 day at school.

She can't but she can get the LEA to issue a fine. I agree with December, i bloody hate all the crap that goes on then. 

Before summer holidays, the kids get extra play breaks if weather good, all work is done and teachers just going throigh the motions. Obviously not saying all teachers like this but who can be motivated in final week of term for learning?

Most of my holidays since i've had kids are at the end of a term, we take an extra few days or a week before hand.When it's bring your toys to school week! The occasional September ones are usually just as they go back when they're writing about what they got up to over the summer holidays.... My lot used to be out and about (before i got this shitty job) so much over summer it'd take them a week to write up about it. 

That's a very good point, if the kids can do it why shouldn't the teacher nip off for a sunshine break - there's no harm in just a couple of weeks.

I've got no issue with that, stick to an end or begining of term when the kids are kicking back or gearing back up and jobs a good 'un. However they need to put those two weeks back in during the summer holidays, you know when we'd be having to work. After all, some of us that do take our kids out do so because we can't do it during school holidays. It'd also save me a couple of hundred quid on child care. 

Melons; my kids are 6 & 11. Can say we have taken the 11 year out of school for holidays (2-3 days each time) 4 times and 1 planned for this year.

Yes, I get on with the Head but as far as I know she cant stop me. I know kids have taken 2 weeks off of term time, which I think is excessive.

Teachers do a great job but the whole of December was spent practising the festive show, watching dvd's and taking class work off the walls, ready for next term - same with the summer break.

Scooby Dudek; so after the marathon (congrats on that achievement btw) did your kid go to school on the Monday? Personally I would have went through with your plans and call in a 24hour bug, sly thing to do but your plans sound well bettter than 1 day at school.

Cheers for the congrats.

No we got the train back on Sunday afternoon, which was not ideal, it meant everything after the marathon was rushed. So even the Sunday was de valued imo.

It's a difficult one, if you look at it from the schools perspective there's the potential for a class of kids to all be at different stages of the curriculum at different times of the year. Some might for two weeks in early summer, others in winter or some at Easter. I bet that's a nightmare to track and bring kids back up to speed.

The idea that the majority of kids get a cultural experience is a complete pile of shit too. Some might (like Melons) but 90% will be sitting by the pool watching mum and dad sunbathe then having nuggets and chips for tea.

No one says you have to go abroad, our generation didn't suffer because we didn't go to Spain every year but mum and dad want a cheap 2 weeks in the sun.

Bollocks. What it comes down to is the decisions about what are best for your children are being taken by someone else. How the fuck has that been allowed to happen. Nanny state is not the word for it.If a couple want to take their children on a break it should be no one's concern but them, where these kids in any danger? except for missing out on a few day's of PC bullshit. Maybe if parents where left to parent their children then teachers would have more time to spot the real problems, like that poor little bugger who was starved to death not so long ago.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The answer to the question depends on whether you value your children's education more than getting 50 quid off your fortnight in Benidorm.

That's a bit coarse. Of course, there's probably as many families taking their kids out of school to go to Aspen or Chamonix as there is families going to Benidorm or whatever stereotypical working/under-class destination you can think of.

• Upvote 3

Seems totally OTT fining parents for a couple days here and there. My mates' son's school (sorry if that's complicated) got it just about right by allowing him up to 3 days off if he hit 100% attendance that term. Holidays are incredibly useful to the development of a person. Do schools still do that many school trips, I'm well out of touch on this subject.

The whole you must care more about a cheap holiday than kids eduction is a crap point and a cheap shot at those trying to take kids on holiday but what is new from Tory Lite.

We took my sister to India on holiday in 2004 when she was 14 as it had been a shit year for everyone,it really must have affected her grades as she has just past all of her uni exams and will be a nurse from next month.Them two weeks she took off visiting the world Heritage site of Hampi,Hindu temples and relaxing with her family must have really been terrible for her.

• Upvote 2

I love threads like this, the amount of nonsense spoken is staggering.

A couple of days here and there, if at 'slack' times might not make a difference but two weeks? Especially if there are loads of kids at different points in the curriculum. Teachers will spend more time trying to get kids up to speed than teaching.

• Upvote 1

The answer to the question depends on whether you value your children's education more than getting 50 quid off your fortnight in Benidorm.

Crikey, are we giving wanker post awards out early this year? 

Seems totally OTT fining parents for a couple days here and there. My mates' son's school (sorry if that's complicated) got it just about right by allowing him up to 3 days off if he hit 100% attendance that term. Holidays are incredibly useful to the development of a person. Do schools still do that many school trips, I'm well out of touch on this subject.

Schools still do quite a fair few trips, one of mine went christmas shopping as an educational day trip in December. I think your mates sons school approach is an ideal one. 

I love threads like this, the amount of nonsense spoken is staggering.

A couple of days here and there, if at 'slack' times might not make a difference but two weeks? Especially if there are loads of kids at different points in the curriculum. Teachers assistants will spend more time trying to get kids up to speed than teaching.

Fixed that for you. 

So everyone thats takes kids out of school for whatever reason is feckless?

Where did I say that? If you take your kids out of school for two weeks so you can get a cheap holiday then yes.

There's one teacher on here, what does he think? Oh yes, he thinks it's bad for kids.

Helping the kids of feckless parents catch up?

That would be were you said it,and since you seem to have brought it up after i stated we took my sister out for two week you can fuck off.

People will do what they think is right for there kids and if they feel that a child has been put under alot of stress and that two weeks away as a family will do them good then they should be allowed to do so no matter what the school think.You might live in a world that lets you afford to take a kid away and not worry about the additional £5-600 it would cost to go a couple of weeks later then good for you,we couldnt therefore took her to a place that many kids will never see in their lives. Im sure those two weeks abroad really damaged her academic results seeing as she has gone on to do well for herself.

• Upvote 1