You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

WhiskeyJar

Steven Gerrard as Defensive Midfield  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

But none of them were his fault.  

Not his fault we let too many crosses come into the box from wide areas, Toure didn't compete with Crouch for the first goal, Henderson gave him a bad pass and Skrtel missed a block for the second goal and Mignolet fucked up the third.

For me defending is a collective responsibility and as the holding midfielder he will be part of that.  So three goals is too many and we have to do better as a team.  

Gerrard doesn't have the mobility to press from the front to be in an attacking role or the legs to get up and down the pitch at fullback. The idea is you snuff out danger before it even reaches Gerrard and he just pulls the strings. How much defensive ball wining work does Pirloo do?

With Pogba and the other guy do the ball winning, Pirlo picks out runners. I think people can't get their heads around not having out and out holding midfielders who offer little else.

For me defending is a collective responsibility and as the holding midfielder he will be part of that.  So three goals is too many and we have to do better as a team.  

So he gets blamed even though he wasn't at fault for any of those three goals - I don't see the logic in that.

Since Allen returned to good form in Gerrard's absence I've been keen to give this a go with Hendo and Allen in front of him. On yesterday's evidence I don't like it, but I think maybe the problem is Gerrard and Lucas just can't play together against teams that press. I'd give it another go at home with different personnel

Not a fair comparison as with a fully fit Allen the two times we lose possession and conceed I think that would have happened higher up the pitch (due to Allen and Henderson's pressing) thus giving the entire team more time to set themselves. Due to Lucas' lack of mobility we dropped deeper and thus when Adam latches on the mispass he is virtually on the edge of our box.

Gerrard doesn't have the mobility to press from the front to be in an attacking role or the legs to get up and down the pitch at fullback. The idea is you snuff out danger before it even reaches Gerrard and he just pulls the strings. How much defensive ball wining work does Pirloo do?

With Pogba and the other guy do the ball winning, Pirlo picks out runners. I think people can't get their heads around not having out and out holding midfielders who offer little else.

I can.  In fact Lucas is the first such player we've had.

So he gets blamed even though he wasn't at fault for any of those three goals - I don't see the logic in that.

No, you don't understand.  I'm not solely blaming Gerrard for us conceding three goals.  I know you like to single defenders out and keep a little tally of their errors leading to goals but I see at as more of a collective thing, i.e. attack and defend as a team and share responsibility.  For example if the midfielders keep giving the ball away it invites pressure on the defence, making it more likely there will be an individual error and ultimately a goal conceded.  

No, you don't understand.  I'm not solely blaming Gerrard for us conceding three goals.  I know you like to single defenders out and keep a little tally of their errors leading to goals but I see at as more of a collective thing, i.e. attack and defend as a team and share responsibility.  For example if the midfielders keep giving the ball away it invites pressure on the defence, making it more likely there will be an individual error and ultimately a goal conceded.  

I agree he lost the ball too often.  But goals do mostly come from errors.

We don't have any midfielders anywhere near as good as Vidal. Or Pogba for that matter.

We also play in a league that demands far more physically.

Can people please give it a rest with the "how many goals has he scored from open play recently?" stuff? It is absolutely no indicator of his finishing ability and the reason he hasn't scored many is because he's been sat in between our centre halfs for the most of the matches!

Put it this way', had he been on the end of any of the many chances Coutinho has fluffed recently, he'd have put them away with aplomb.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

Can people please give it a rest with the "how many goals has he scored from open play recently?" stuff? It is absolutely no indicator of his finishing ability and the reason he hasn't scored many is because he's been sat in between our centre halfs for the most of the matches!

Put it this way', had he been on the end of any of the many chances Coutinho has fluffed recently, he'd have put them away with aplomb.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Amen.

One more game with Allen and Henderson in front of him.

Everyone agrees that it is like to be Lucas or Gerrard base of midfield, playing them togther just make the pressing a whole lot harder to Henderson to do it alone. 

The yesterday game could be just seen as a warm up for Gerrard to play the whatever DM/deep lying/regstia/ghost between CB and midfield role.  

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Gerrard's a quality player. Actually, he's the best player we've ever had, in my opinion. What he isn't is a defensive midfielder, or a holding midfielder. He is barely a central midfielder. Surely we know this years of watching him.

• Upvote 3

People are lying to themselves if they don't think a fully fit Gerrard walks back into this side. He should be in there for his penalty's and set pieces alone. It's just where?....for me Lucas is expendable. Rodgers favours Allen and Henderson's not getting dropped so that leaves Lucas.

Amen.

Amen again. Gerrard is best in an attacking role, even if he is f***ing hard. Remember 08-09.

Obviously Brendan wants to keep our best player for the last 16 years at least in the team and we now boast great attackers, but this transition to a holdind midfielder is going to take some work. If he is not happy with Lucas, I think we should be looking at someone new for that role, FSG

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Agreed, NV. Agreed, Mojo.

It's as tedious having to even say this shit as it is seeing Gerrard played in a ridiculous position. I'm a big fan of Rodgers, but from what I can see he's letting Gerrard's status blind him a little. I personally don't even think he deserves as a starting place. If we get somebody like M'Vila, who is dropped? Allen and Henderson are the future - they're bright and young and energetic and we look well good with them both in the side. So that's probably Lucas out. If we get M'Vila or somebody like him, It'll be silly not to use Gerrard more sparingly.

If we get somebody like M'Vila then it is a different conversation. Right now it is Gerrard or Lucas in that position. Hardly ridiculous to suggest Gerrard could do it better than the Lucas of today. In the same way Gerrard is not the player of 09-10, Lucas is not the player of two years ago either.

It's as tedious having to even say this shit as it is seeing Gerrard played in a ridiculous position. I'm a big fan of Rodgers, but from what I can see he's letting Gerrard's status blind him a little. I personally don't even think he deserves as a starting place. If we get somebody like M'Vila, who is dropped? Allen and Henderson are the future - they're bright and young and energetic and we look well good with them both in the side. So that's probably Lucas out. If we get M'Vila or somebody like him, It'll be silly not to use Gerrard more sparingly.

The bit in bold is my fear, and its understandable on his behalf. Horrible situation for Rodgers.

I've no problem with Lucas being upgraded on, and would actually prefer him to be sold than kept as back up (use of wages, etc), but the answer certainly is not putting Gerrard there.

Determining the long term shape of the side is also something I'd imagine Rodgers is having to think about a lot at the moment because of the "Where, if anywhere, does Gerrard play?" and also the good form of Sterling. Because I think if he'd been poor we possibly would have considered a more narrow formation.

I'm not sure how you get Coutinho/Sterling/Sturridge/Suarez all in the side without sacrificing the effectiveness of at least one of them.

I'm not sure how you get Coutinho/Sterling/Sturridge/Suarez all in the side without sacrificing the effectiveness of at least one of them.

There has very rarely been a time when all have been available. There has never been a time when all were available AND in good form and I would include now in that category. Coutinho needs a lie down atm.

I don't think that is a worry - I think the biggest shape commitment is to the midfield triangle.