You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

WhiskeyJar

Steven Gerrard as Defensive Midfield  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That's true. Not sure Lucas should be the guy to replace him if that's the case, considering how poor Lucas is in that regard. He only has 3 more than Lucas, not bad when you consider he has started 8 more games than him. Still, his 10 goals and 9 assists from that position probably make up for those 3 yellow cards. He'll be a loss. Much more than Lucas has been, anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It really isn't.

The position on a line-up screen looks the same, but the responsibilities are different, as is their dynamic to the surrounding players.

If Gerrard doesn't play that role, Lucas will.  They might do it differently but it really is a choice between one or the other at the moment.

Don't think they should play together.

That's true. Not sure Lucas should be the guy to replace him if that's the case, considering how poor Lucas is in that regard. He only has 3 more than Lucas, not bad when you consider he has started 8 more games than him. Still, his 10 goals and 9 assists from that position probably make up for those 3 yellow cards. He'll be a loss. Much more than Lucas has been, anyway.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.  What a load of terminal bores you all are.

If Gerrard doesn't play that role, Lucas will. They might do it differently but it really is a choice between one or the other at the moment.

Don't think they should play together.

The roles are different though, as is the midfield dynamic, so the question of whether we play Gerrard there, and how well he's performing isn't as clear cut as whether he's a better player than Lucas.

I agree on not playing them together.

Just to be sure, I didn't mean that as a way to slag the contribution. Fuck me, he has been as cool as ice when taking them. Turns out that it's a bit part of how well we're doing. Those pens are bloody important.

Never saw this reply at the time NV.

Not that it will have caused any concern to you, but it was just a quirk that I happened to post what I did straight after you referenced pens. I'd not seen your post, don't think you were denigrating his contribution at all.

Only have to look at Kenny's full season back in charge to see what damage not being able to knock penalties away can cause.

• 3 weeks later...