You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Red of the Day - Terry McDermott

tlw content

Terry McDermott reveals dementia diagnosis

Terry McDermott, the former Liverpool, Newcastle United and England midfielder, has confirmed he has had dementia diagnosed.

The 69-year-old announced he is in the early stages of Lewy body dementia after hospital tests.

“I’ve got to get on with it and I will,” McDermott said. “It’s the way I’ve been brought up. Nothing has come to me easily. I’m not frightened of taking it on and also, as we’ve seen, there are a lot of former players in a worse state than me. Battling is second nature. The worst thing was [that] until my condition was diagnosed, you don’t know what’s going on.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Best wishes to Terry Mc. We need to make quicker progress at eradicating these cognitive diseases.

Its become quite common in older footballers,or at least been highlighted more. We tend to expect these things in boxers or rugby players but not footballers. Some of the huge finances from modern football could easily be diverted into research.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

No bother mate, sorry you had to go through that. We're trying to get a further assessment sorted, but the GP is not worth a light at the mo. Doesn't help that my dad is 11 years older than her and not in the best health himself, so it's tough for him to help her. My sister is great and I get round at least 3 times a week. She still knows how to get to my aunties house and back so she's still got some independence. Sometimes she's fine, almost like her old self, other times she's a right cow (especially to my poor arl fella) and you could bloody swing for her!

Life is fragile, and fucking scary.

Good luck mate, hoping for the best for you

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I love Terry McDermott. Definitely one of my favourite ever players. Any number of wonderful moments and goals to remember. The one at Aberdeen and finishing off ‘that move’ against Spurs at Anfield. 

My own favourite moment came when he was a Newcastle player. My dad was a Geordie and passionate Newcastle fan so regularly took me to St. James Park when I was younger. I can’t remember who they were playing but I was right at the front, near the corner flag. At one point the ball rolled out of play and towards me. Terry Mac jogged over and looked directly at me, indicating that I should throw him the ball, which of course I did. He nodded his thanks and got on with the game.

I’m pretty sure he had more memorable encounters in his footballing life, but I’ve never forgotten it.

Good luck with the battle ahead Terry. We are with you. 

Phil Thompson came up to our school with Terry Mac around the time Terry signed for us.

It was 1974 and they had come up to watch a recording of the 74 cup final with us and talk about the game.

From what I can remember, (I was 11) Thommo did most of the talking and Terry was a lot quieter, almost shy, but they both took time to talk to all of us.

It was a big thing for us, we were up in Skem and it was virtually unheard of for this sort of thing to happen here.

Our P E teacher is supposed to have set it up and if true it was the only thing the bullying shithouse cunt ever did for us.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...