You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well, by getting more good players for the money than we get poor players. We went from a large proportion of our purchases being utter shit, to getting players like Mignolet, Sakho, Toure, Allen, Coutinho and Sturridge. Yes, we've had mistakes. Whilst we're out of the CL and unwilling to spend 50m plus 250k per week, that'll keep happening.

Agreed.

Way more hits than misses and if FSG were as careful when the first arrived then Carroll and Downing don't happen.

And the biggie for me, but for FSG, Henderson would be plying his trade at Fulham and Dempsey would be running onto through balls from Coutinho.

It's all just so disheartening, never seen Salah play, it's the way we do our business that pisses me off. I can see Rodgers eventually walking over shit like this. He's missed out on 3 or 4 of his top targets the last few months for numerous reason that's got to be frustrating for him.

I'm being naive but thinking we're going to get someone great before the window, not sure who but it's similar to the Sakho signing in the summer.

It's all just so disheartening, never seen Salah play, it's the way we do our business that pisses me off. I can see Rodgers eventually walking over shit like this. He's missed out on 3 or 4 of his top targets the last few months for numerous reason that's got to be frustrating for him.

I'm being naive but thinking we're going to get someone great before the window, not sure who but it's similar to the Sakho signing in the summer.

The players we've missed out on were either using us or went to CL teams.

The players we've missed out on were either using us or went to CL teams.

That's why I said numerous reasons. They were still his top targets, whatever happened is irrelevant really, he wanted they we couldn't finalise the deals. Costa may have used us but as he's apparently leaving them in the near future then surely if we offered better money than Atletico were offering at the time then surely he'd be our player? He had no idea they would be this good this season. Willian and the Armenian could have been wrapped up ALOT quicker before other teams came in for them if we didn't fuck about. Willian chose Tottenham over us and they weren't in the Champions League so that's wrong, it just so happens that he then chose Chelsea over them. We should have signed him before Chelsea became interested in him.

No one's saying we're the worst in the world.

No one's saying we should massively overpay.

No one's expecting £50m players on 250k per week.

What people do expect is that when a player is widely reported to both have a firm price and be willing to come here, those negotiating can work out when to haggle, when to pay the asking price, and when to move on. Our main summer targets proved we've yet to find that balance, and this window looks to be a continuation.

I've no idea what this guy on RAWK has said. Anybody enlighten me?

Either him, or someone he knows, is Salah's best mate ever and as close as you can be to him (so bumming him presumably) he didn't want to say anything about knowing the in's and outs of the deal before because he didn't want the publicity but now.....now anything goes. 

We agreed a price with Basle but other clubs were also interested, luckily he didn't want to play in Germany, the Italians didn't want to pay him enough and a dodgy buffet at an all inclusive on the costa del sol ruled out Spain. Because of this lack of options, and only wanting to play for us for purely altruistic reasons (if you ignore the third club in the UK he quite fancied but doesn't want to name because it means Chelsea were his third choice and it'll make them sad) we put in a lower offer which angered those mild mannered fellas in the land of Cuckoo Clocks and Chocolate. Chelsea came in offering a deal that essentially doubles what we wanted to pay and the rest is geography.

Essentially - The idea of paying 12-16 million made the forums angry/sad, him moving to another club for an amount forums were mad/sad about made them more mad/sad,

• Upvote 1

Modern football fans are mostly just whining, miserable dickheads. It's a sad thing to behold.

I'm not massively arsed about missing Salah, although he does look like a good player. I think we have other priorities at the moment (or should have) and hopefully we will address those before the window shuts.

How can you say it's the way you do business that's poor?

Chelsea have money, and whilst they probably still operate to a budget of sorts, it's a bigger budget.

There's going to come a point if you're both in for the same player where the selling club will always go back to Chelsea to see if they'll pay more, and if Chelsea want that player badly enough, they'll stump up the extra few million and seal the deal.

It might not be palatable, but I don't think it's right to say it's poor handling from Liverpool.

If Liverpool did try pulling a few stunts that irritated the selling club, then that's another matter, but I'm really not convinced anybody is THAT intimate with the dealings. To know who came in with what, and where the player really wants to play is just a little too far fetched.

Only seen Salah play for Basle a few times in the CL, he looked good along with Stocker and Streller but I'd be hugely surprised if he's the quality needed to get into the Chelsea team, can't see him featuring in many games but then he's still young so might get to the top level at some point.

Bit of a meh from me cos it's a bit of a gamble.

How can you say it's the way you do business that's poor?

Chelsea have money, and whilst they probably still operate to a budget of sorts, it's a bigger budget.

There's going to come a point if you're both in for the same player where the selling club will always go back to Chelsea to see if they'll pay more, and if Chelsea want that player badly enough, they'll stump up the extra few million and seal the deal.

It might not be palatable, but I don't think it's right to say it's poor handling from Liverpool.

If Liverpool did try pulling a few stunts that irritated the selling club, then that's another matter, but I'm really not convinced anybody is THAT intimate with the dealings. To know who came in with what, and where the player really wants to play is just a little too far fetched.

Agreed

And if we'd stumped 'just' that extra few million (which if reports are to be believed would end up at double the amount we offered if bonuses kicked in so more than a few million) chelsea would have done the same.

People are just desperate to create a massive drama. I'm wondering if you lot really feel 'humiliated' by this, and that the owners are trying to stop us achieving as is being suggested? It's ridiculous. We were top of the league a month ago, scoring fuck loads of goals. Maybe we just don't need some Egyptian wanker?

It's mind-boggling, isn't it. Two days ago nobody would have given a shit about this guy. Now Chelsea have got him, we're the worst in the world again. Fuck me, it's foot stomping at its worst.

Stop being so ridiculously short sighted. Nobody gives a flying fuck about Salah.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about Salah.

I thought i'd repeat it for the twentieth time seen as this keeps getting perpetuated.

People give a fuck about our transfer approach, strategy and performance since the committee came in. They absolutely fucked up last summer and our performance this year is in spite of their dealings. Or are you going to argue that Ilori, Aspas, Cissokho, Alberto and Moses were key determinants of our first half of the season performance? Thank the lord Sterling has stepped up (and credit goes to Rodgers and Sterling himself).

Nobody is suggesting the owners don't want us to succeed, or the committee for that matter. What people are suggesting is that some of the people at our club are utterly inept and frankly, your unwavering confidence in them is more ridiculous than people asking questions.

I didnt want Salah. In fact I was pissed off that he was our main target because it just seemed completely at sorts with our actual needs. It was fucking stupid. But we now have 7 days to pull out a DM and a full-back. And then we're also hoping on Suarez and Sturridge not being suspended or injured for the rest of our season, because we pissed away 7m on Aspas and let Borini fuck off to another club.

Oh and last thing. Who gives a fuck if we were 1st a couple of weeks ago? We could be 7th in two games. What purile reasoning.

• Upvote 8

One is a kid who's barely played, the other's a kid who burnt out the last time he was overplayed, and the last is at another club.

Moses is our main back up.

Moses.

This. Plus Salah can play on either side and attacking midfield. Moses is yet to prove he's capable of paying anywhere. 

Either him, or someone he knows, is Salah's best mate ever and as close as you can be to him (so bumming him presumably) he didn't want to say anything about knowing the in's and outs of the deal before because he didn't want the publicity but now.....now anything goes. 

We agreed a price with Basle but other clubs were also interested, luckily he didn't want to play in Germany, the Italians didn't want to pay him enough and a dodgy buffet at an all inclusive on the costa del sol ruled out Spain. Because of this lack of options, and only wanting to play for us for purely altruistic reasons (if you ignore the third club in the UK he quite fancied but doesn't want to name because it means Chelsea were his third choice and it'll make them sad) we put in a lower offer which angered those mild mannered fellas in the land of Cuckoo Clocks and Chocolate. Chelsea came in offering a deal that essentially doubles what we wanted to pay and the rest is geography.

Essentially - The idea of paying 12-16 million made the forums angry/sad, him moving to another club for an amount forums were mad/sad about made them more mad/sad,

You are funny, Cardie, I'll give you that.

If you're good enough you're old enough. Maybe this will be the chance Ibe needs to establish himself in the squad.

I admire the sentiment, and I wish I was as optimistic.

I see a threadbare squad, with the filler brought in to alleviate the problem last summer being either unfavoured by the manager, adding to already well stocked positions or just pretty shit.

There are times to give youngsters the chance, tinker with formations, and try new things; the one year an established CL team falls out of the top four places just doesn't seem to be it for me. 

People are just desperate to create a massive drama. I'm wondering if you lot really feel 'humiliated' by this, and that the owners are trying to stop us achieving as is being suggested? It's ridiculous. We were top of the league a month ago, scoring fuck loads of goals. Maybe we just don't need some Egyptian wanker?

I think it's condescending to accuse people of being drama queens, especially when they've consistently expressed doubts over, at the very least, the past 6 months.

• Upvote 1

I admire the sentiment, and I wish I was as optimistic.

I see a threadbare squad, with the filler brought in to alleviate the problem last summer being either unfavoured by the manager, adding to already well stocked positions or just pretty shit.

There are times to give youngsters the chance, tinker with formations, and try new things; the one year an established CL team falls out of the top four places just doesn't seem to be it for me. 

Brendan wanted to offload Henderson for the older more mature Dempsey. Sometimes players just need a chance.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Stop being so ridiculously short sighted.

Oh fuck me. That's exactly the problem here. People are being short-sighted about one player. That's exactly the issue. We made a judgement call. It was the same response with Willian. Worked out fine.

• Upvote 1

Maybe that's because we let Chelsea agree a deal for Mata with the Mancs 1st, so they could then shaft us, maybe we should of been smart and got the deal done early.. we wouldn't of needed the extra few mil then would we.. but we/Ayre thought they were super smart and we could haggle and haggle... ffs we scouted him and the mikky whateverthefuckshisnameis for months decided they were the targets and then fucked it up.... yet somehow we signed sakho for more money than we should of....

however I look at it, we/ayre fucked up.

Because Chelsea being able to pay 12-16 million on a player was solely dependent on the sale of a player they will have absolutely no problem shifting, a player who has yet to sign with his new club despite Salah already being signed?