You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona

Malarkey

Ladies, gentlemen and children of all ages.

I'm off to Barcelona next month for a city break. Then I'm potentially getting a train to Madrid. All this being done between the 17th and the 22nd of September. I'm looking for a place to stay in Barcelona. Something cheap and cheerful, near La Rambla or near enough to the beach.

Bearing in mind I'm with the missus.

Any advice appreciated.

Went there last year, mate. Best city I've ever been to.

Anyway, me and my mate stayed here:

Hotel in Barcelona center, near Las Ramblas | Hotel America Barcelona

Decent enough price. Got a roof terrace with a bar and a pool (not big enough for a proper swim, but it's okay for a sit off). There's a metro station literally right outside it and it's about 15-20 min walk from Las Ramblas.

Went last December, absolutely brilliant place. Stayed in a hotel called Rialto, just off the Ramblas in the Gothic quarter. Nice enough hotel and in a brilliant place for getting around. We went through Easyjet £124 for 3 nights plus flights, thought for that price the hotel would be a fleapit but it was sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Get yourself down to the harbour. Parc Guell is cool too. And go and see the two Gaudi designed houses on Passeig de Gracia, Casa Battlo and La Pedrera.

A saunter down Las Ramblas too. But, if you want food,drink etc, I'd swerve there as it's the main tourist road,so you pay a tourist premium and you can get much better and cheaper food 5 minutes walk away around Placa de Catalunya/Passeig de Gracia.

• Upvote 1

Thanks mate.

Is the cliche to be wary of pickpockets still apt?

Surely it's not that bad, seems like a lazy stereotype that everyone says when you mention the place.

I've never quite understood this reputation for not just Barcelona, but other Spanish cities as well.

I guess if you wear a fucking bum bag, take pictures every 12 seconds, and are incapable of speaking at a normal volume then you've a reasonable chance of being robbed. And rightly so.

I've never quite understood this reputation for not just Barcelona, but other Spanish cities as well.

I guess if you wear a fucking bum bag, take pictures every 12 seconds, and are incapable of speaking at a normal volume then you've a reasonable chance of being robbed. And rightly so.

Which other cities have a bad rep?

I've been all over Andalucia (Malaga, Seville, Cadiz, Granada etc) and never once felt remotely threatened, never mind actually being robbed.

Gothic Quarter and Montjuic for some touristy stuff. Port Olympic if you fancy a night out.

This Port Olympic, is it reachable by foot from Las Ramblas? 

I;m staying in Badalona, but I guess Las Ramblas will be our base as we will get the metro there.

Which other cities have a bad rep?

I've been all over Andalucia (Malaga, Seville, Cadiz, Granada etc) and never once felt remotely threatened, never mind actually being robbed.

I guess I'm referring mainly to Madrid as well, as both cities have a notoriously bad rep. Dunno, I assume it's probably true statistically. London and Amsterdam are the only cities I've ever actually felt slightly sketched out though. Not that I've ever been pick pocketed anywhere, thankfully. For both me, and the disappointed pick pocketer.

I guess I'm referring mainly to Madrid as well, as both cities have a notoriously bad rep. Dunno, I assume it's probably true statistically. London and Amsterdam are the only cities I've ever actually felt slightly sketched out. Not that I've ever been pick pocketed anywhere, thankfully. For both me, and the disappointed pick pocketer.

I did have three chaps try to pickpocket me in Barca late one evening, but I knew what they were up to so managed to avoid it happening.  I've known people to be done on the metro, sitting outside a cafe, and window shopping.  Tourists tend to be more relaxed/less savvy than locals so it isn't a surprise really.  I've always felt more relaxed when I'm working there than when I'm staggering about the touristy areas though. 

Everyone said Rome was bad for pick-pockets so when we got to Termini I was like fucking Andy McNab clocking every cunt. To be fair their were a fair few dodgy cunts there but no-one came near us. Bullshitting bast ... "hey bring me my fucking phone back you cunt!"

• Upvote 1

This Port Olympic, is it reachable by foot from Las Ramblas? 

If I remember correctly, it would have taken about 15-20 minutes to get to Port Olympic from our apartment which was near the Lyceu on La Rambla. We did stop at a couple of bars along the route though.