You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ever stood up to a racist at a match?

JER

Took my Fulham supporting 15 year old to a friendly against Real Betis last night, and during the second half a Joe Kinnear lookalike a few seats down took exception to one of the Betis players getting treatment after a Steve Sidwell lunge. "Get up you black c***" was his sympathetic, highly audible response. I'd like to say I went over and meted out some Jason Statham style justice on him, but like everyone else just ignored it and tutted.

Anyone ever turned Charles Bronson and taken one of these fools out? Or even given them a stern talking to? Or even just yelled something and slunk back into their seat?

I've done it at work. My brother in law is black, and we worked together for a few years.

A new starter started talking behind my brother in law's back, quite nasty racial stuff and claimed he would "turn the black ******** lights out" if he looked at him again.

I offered to introduce them, and casually mentioned that my brother in law ran his own full contact Kung Fu school. He declined the offer, strangely enough. Once a few other people within earshot speculated aloud as to how much damage would be inflicted upon him, he nipped out for a fag break. And didn't bother coming back.

He wasn't missed either.

Only once.

Against Middlesborough away, first game of the season about 10 years ago. Sat in the director's box on a freebie, my best mate (who's a fucking Newcastle fan and who was pissed as fuck at the time) let rip with a "Big stupid n*gger" taunt aimed at Djibril Cisse.

Although Cisse didn't hear it, up in the directors box (out in the open stand back then) it was clearly very loud and audible. A few shocked glances but nobody said owt. It was left to me to warn him I would hospitalise him if he let rip with more of the same shite.

Thankfully he didn't. Can't say it was a proud moment either. Shit game too, 0-0.

Many years ago I turned round to say, "Watch your fucking mouth" to some older fella who dropped the N Bomb directly behind me. I said it totally spontaneously and shit myself as soon as I'd said it. Luckily, he shit himself even more and launched into an embarrassingly long, rambling, excuse-laden apology. I can't even remember who he was referring to when he said it either.

My mate Darrell had a lad use the N word at an opposition player recently and then turn round and say, "Sorry mate" to him because he's black. Darrell just said, "I think you'd better get off mate" and he did!

No but my Dad took his 'rangers fan' mate up to celtic park for an old firm in the 80's. Poor fella had never been an old firm before and my dad took him in the jungle. Apparently on the train he was giving it the big 'i'll fucking knock anyone out' shit until he got there. Rangers went 2 up and me Dad said his mate was nearly being sick because he thought my Dad was gonna tell everyone round them.

He said the blood drained from this fellas face from arriving in the first pub in glasgow and had only re-appeared slightly when he saw him in his pub a few days later.

He should have told them. Cheeky bastard.

Sort of. I was at a pre-season match between Hearts and Watford in August 1986 and Digger was getting all sort of abuse from my fellow Hearts fans I'm ashamed to say. Monkey noises, bananas. Midway thru the second half Digger smashed in a 20 yarder at our end and I turned and bellowed 'pick that one out you racist bastards' towards the general vicinity of the origins of the chanting. Just an kneejerk response to such knuckle-dragging ignorance and having done it I was fully expecting to get slapped. Just went a bit quiet. Jesus, what a player he was. Finished 2-1 Hearts.

Pulled some idiots over doing the 'hilarious' Chinese voices to the staff in my local chippy in Walton years ago & it all went off. We were outnumbered but luckily some lads at the back of the queue jumped in as well & the no-marks got run off. Always got a boss portion of chips after that.

Don't think I would do it nowadays though as you have no idea what idiots might be carrying.

there were these huge guys behind me once making monkey noises, and I asked them to stop but they tried to stab me , so I took them all on one by one as I'm an expert Karate right, and I built them all into sort of a human rocket and launched them out of the stadium with my weakest hand whilst lighting a fag with the other. They were pointed at a classroom on Walton Breck Road, which I knew was putting on a racial awareness class that afternoon. They wrote me a letter of apology signed in their blood a few days later, and Tony Blair or someone also wrote me one thanking me for saving the world or the English bit at least I think it was.

I was thrown out by a steward for smoking though.

Pulled some idiots over doing the 'hilarious' Chinese voices to the staff in my local chippy in Walton years ago & it all went off. We were outnumbered but luckily some lads at the back of the queue jumped in as well & the no-marks got run off. Always got a boss portion of chips after that.

Don't think I would do it nowadays though as you have no idea what idiots might be carrying.

Nunchucks and throwing stars usually.

Took my Fulham supporting 15 year old to a friendly against Real Betis last night, and during the second half a Joe Kinnear lookalike a few seats down took exception to one of the Betis players getting treatment after a Steve Sidwell lunge. "Get up you black c***" was his sympathetic, highly audible response. I'd like to say I went over and meted out some Jason Statham style justice on him, but like everyone else just ignored it and tutted.

Anyone ever turned Charles Bronson and taken one of these fools out? Or even given them a stern talking to? Or even just yelled something and slunk back into their seat?

Great to see you back, JER, long time no see.

I've been in both camps. Arsenal at home early 2000s. I was living away so had loaned out my ticket. I got a ticket for lower Centenary right near the pitch. Some bloke behind me shouted the N word at Diouf. I was with an old woman who had the tickets, so I had to say something. I pointed to my watch and shouted "Bloody hell, what time is it, 1975?"

I also remember being in the Paddock at Goodison right in line with Johnny Barnes when he pinged that cross onto Ray Houghton's head. He had had dogs abuse from some vile blue noses all around me. Not one or two, but hundreds. When we scored I went mad. I climbed onto the bar and was screaming hysterically "Fuck off Barnes you black bastard! You black bastard Barnes! You fucking genius black bastard!" at all of the Everton fans around me. I was in my colours and I just went mad - lost it, gesticulating and everything. Totally lost it. Even my mates were trying to drag me down. I don't know how I got away with it, but aside from some shouts, that's all I got.

More recently, I was at Blackburn and, along with hundreds of other reds, heard these horrible little runts abusing Asian stewards and programme sellers near the bar. I said nothing but it ruined my whole day and made me feel further away from the club.

So on reflection, in my younger days yes, nowadays no. That happens I suppose.

Still, writing about those incidents made me feel happy, frightened, then very sad.

there were these huge guys behind me once making monkey noises, and I asked them to stop but they tried to stab me , so I took them all on one by one as I'm an expert Karate right, and I built them all into sort of a human rocket and launched them out of the stadium with my weakest hand whilst lighting a fag with the other. They were pointed at a classroom on Walton Breck Road, which I knew was putting on a racial awareness class that afternoon. They wrote me a letter of apology signed in their blood a few days later, and Tony Blair or someone also wrote me one thanking me for saving the world or the English bit at least I think it was.

I was thrown out by a steward for smoking though.

Yeah, similar thing happened to me one time, there was only one of them but he was the combined karate/kung fu/ninjitsu/muay thai world champion. He was only 6ft 6. Wide. So anyway, I hadoukenned him, then threw him onto the pitch. Bearing in mind we were right up the back. And this is the Maracana we're talking about. Then I ran down the steps and out of the stadium, and the crowd were all jeering me for running away. Little did they know. I found the nearest snack bar and bought a portion of chips, and made my way back to the stadium.

By this time, my opponent was just coming round, but still dazed. I handed him the chips and he said "Oh thanks", maybe assuming they were some sort of peace offering. Then I whipped them back out of his hand, got my cock out, and proceeded to piss on his chips. Had to teach him a lesson, y'know? So anyway, it was Man Utd playing, and Bobby Charlton, Cantona and Phil Jones were in the team. And they were stood in a line, mouths just hanging open at the finality of the telling I'd given this fella, and I went up to them, and slapped them in their faces like they were the three stooges. Just went right along the line. Slap slap slap. Then a helicopter came down and flew me to the Whitehouse where I took my rightful place as leader of the world. Thats how it happened.

Some chav at United away called Valencia a "Black Munich bastard" while he was taking a corner. I'm mixed race and the lad I was with is black. He grabbed the chav and said watch your fucking mouth.

The chav replied with "Sorry lad, I'm not racist my mates coloured"

I just had to laugh.