You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watches

Elmyn Noos

It looks like it's from Argos Si, and it should have BENCH or HENLEYS written across the front, it also sounds like it's called Fiesta, it's the fiesta of the watch world.

You cant be serious? Its not Chav at all its a beautiful watch as for Festina they are quality, In France theyre huge all the watch shops stock them. I used to have one but it was stolen.

You cant be serious? Its not Chav at all its a beautiful watch as for Festina they are quality, In France theyre huge all the watch shops stock them. I used to have one but it was stolen.

It might just be the picture but it's looks fucking tragic to me, the one Stig posted was nice as an alternative to a traditional steel watch.

Well the way that what id consider bulky and old school Scousers love i dont consider any of them watches smart infact i see them as bulky and effortless in terms of design and how it looks its all boring.

Whereas the Festina is uniquely styled and looks nothing like a host of Bvlgari, Seiko, Tag, Tissot and other square faced watches?

TRY THIS ONE THEN YOU FUCKING TRAMPS

602561d1326584947-explorer-ii-42mm-216570-expiilume2.jpg

Lovely watch, Tom.

The problem with them is that they are just too fucking expensive and also, i think, the brand is beginning to suffer a little in the same way the Burberry brand did in the 90s.

I see somebody wearing one and immediately think used car salesman or similar.

Unfair and inaccurate i'm sure but there you go

I was given my Grampher's watch at 16 and some cunt stole it from a certain sport's changing room.

I got the closest watch to it I could a few times but it never lasted and ended up going with this. I wanted something that would last, wasn't too fashionable and look daft after 6 months and could wear in the sea, shower, everywhere etc.

AR0218_4.jpg

655950458_o.jpg

This is mine and i love it (although the problem with a good watch is that it costs a bomb to get a new battery fitted, as i am currently discovering....)

Nice that Longo, how much were you quoted for your battery? I sent mine off recently and nearly shit myself when I got a quote for £215.00 to replace the battery and service it. This is mine, it was a 40th birthday present and is my pride and joy after wanting one for years.

bizitem_4afb2e61e1d61d666e310989e16f06597e8c8c34.jpg

Nice that Longo, how much were you quoted for your battery? I sent mine off recently and nearly shit myself when I got a quote for £215.00 to replace the battery and service it. This is mine, it was a 40th birthday present and is my pride and joy after wanting one for years.

You're being had mate. a) quartz watches don't need servicing, only automatics, and even then only very 5-10 years and any decent local watchmaker will do it for £50-100, no worries.

b) you can change the battery yourself in about 30 seconds. It's an absolute piece of piss. Get a load of gaffer tape an scrunch it up in a ball, sgticky side out, and make your own sticky ball. Losen off the strap and lay the watch glass down on the palm of your hand, then just press down your sticky ball hard and turn anti-clockwise. Hey presto, back off. Remove old battery and replace.

Just be sure to get it pressure tested at somewhere like Timpsons afterwards if you eve plan on getting it wet. That'll cost no more than about £20.

In fact, fuck it, just take it to somewhere like Timpsons and they'll do the whole lot for peanuts. Likewise one of those "Watch Dr" places you see in shopping centres et.

Therein lies the problem, mate. I was quoted the same price and baulked at it, naturally. Last time there was a gaff inside Lewis' that did a new battery but couldn't guarantee a full waterproof seal, who did it for £15. If i ever go in the water i would take the watch off as a precaution anyway, so it didn't bother me about the whole "diving" aspect of it.

But i tried Timpsons and they say that any "expensive" make of watch needs to be sent off and they refuse to do it instore, or at least the one i went to told me that. So at the moment i am looking for one of these "Watch Drs" - but the one in Clayton Sq quoted £40/£50 just for a battery.

Timpson's in Leeds have dry pressure tested my watches loads of times. Maybe they just don't have the kit at that particular branch you tried?

Anyway, if you're not arsed about getting it wet and pressure testing it, then just do it yourself mate, seriously it's a piece of piss.

Besides, providing the seals aren't cracked or very dry when you take the back off, it'll 99.99% be fine to get wet anyway. if you want you can rub a little silicon grease on the rubber seal as well, just to be sure.

Anyway - Just lay down on a shammy leather, or other soft but firm surface, take some needle nose pliers and turn anti-clockwise. Back will come off well easy.

Just be careful not to slip and scratch it.

When the back is off, I'm pretty sure there'll be nothing in view to damage or anything like that as as Tags have an anti-magnetic plate covering the quartz movement etc. All you'll see is the battery, waiting to be popped out and changed. Pop it out with something plastic, not metal, as metal can magnetise your watch (not good)

Stick new battery in.

Total cost - £5 max.

Btw - it's important to remove a dead battery ASAP as they can leak when they die, corrode, and then fuck up your watch in a big, big way.

Timpson's in Leeds have dry pressure tested my watches loads of times. Maybe they just don't have the kit at that particular branch you tried?

Anyway, if you're not arsed about getting it wet and pressure testing it, then just do it yourself mate, seriously it's a piece of piss.

Besides, providing the seals aren't cracked or very dry when you take the back off, it'll 99.99% be fine to get wet anyway. if you want you can rub a little silicon grease on the rubber seal as well, just to be sure.

Anyway - Just lay down on a shammy leather, or other soft but firm surface, take some needle nose pliers and turn anti-clockwise. Back will come off well easy.

Just be careful not to slip and scratch it.

When the back is off, I'm pretty sure there'll be nothing in view to damage or anything like that as as Tags have an anti-magnetic plate covering the quartz movement etc. All you'll see is the battery, waiting to be popped out and changed. Pop it out with something plastic, not metal, as metal can magnetise your watch (not good)

Stick new battery in.

Total cost - £5 max.

Btw - it's important to remove a dead battery ASAP as they can leak when they die, corrode, and then fuck up your watch in a big, big way.

I'm just doing this now Tom, so I'm lying on this big fucking shammy leather I've fashioned together, got me pliers out, spinning round anti clockwise like Steven Hawking in a rave, what next ??

You're being had mate. a) quartz watches don't need servicing, only automatics, and even then only very 5-10 years and any decent local watchmaker will do it for £50-100, no worries.

b) you can change the battery yourself in about 30 seconds. It's an absolute piece of piss. Get a load of gaffer tape an scrunch it up in a ball, sgticky side out, and make your own sticky ball. Losen off the strap and lay the watch glass down on the palm of your hand, then just press down your sticky ball hard and turn anti-clockwise. Hey presto, back off. Remove old battery and replace.

Just be sure to get it pressure tested at somewhere like Timpsons afterwards if you eve plan on getting it wet. That'll cost no more than about £20.

In fact, fuck it, just take it to somewhere like Timpsons and they'll do the whole lot for peanuts. Likewise one of those "Watch Dr" places you see in shopping centres et.

Therein lies the problem, mate. I was quoted the same price and baulked at it, naturally. Last time there was a gaff inside Lewis' that did a new battery but couldn't guarantee a full waterproof seal, who did it for £15. If i ever go in the water i would take the watch off as a precaution anyway, so it didn't bother me about the whole "diving" aspect of it.

But i tried Timpsons and they say that any "expensive" make of watch needs to be sent off and they refuse to do it instore, or at least the one i went to told me that. So at the moment i am looking for one of these "Watch Drs" - but the one in Clayton Sq quoted £40/£50 just for a battery.

Cheers for this lads, I had no intention of handing over £215.00, I was expecting to pay something like £30.00 when I took it to the Tag shop. I thought it was only a battery I needed but they seemed to insist it had to be serviced as well, it's less than three years old so no idea why. I got them to send the watch back to me unrepaired. I'll give Timpsons a try, not that arsed about it being waterproof as I would never wear it near water anyway. I don't really trust myself to replace it but nice one for the tip Tom.

I use this place for my Longines;

Watch Repairs Liverpool, Watch Refurbishments Merseyside | Phoenix Watches

Just off Willianson Square, it might be worth giving them a call.

They charge 40 quid for a battery change and pressure test.

A quote from their site;

Our battery replacement service is extremely efficient and we have watchmakers on site allowing us to provide an faster effective service. Battery and Pressure Testing in most cases can be carried out within the hour and we offer a 12 month guarantee on all of our batteries fitted. Also we offer a free 'Seal Check' every 12 months which is highly recommended for watches used regularly in water.

They also sell Skagen Watches

Cheers for this lads, I had no intention of handing over £215.00, I was expecting to pay something like £30.00 when I took it to the Tag shop. I thought it was only a battery I needed but they seemed to insist it had to be serviced as well, it's less than three years old so no idea why. I got them to send the watch back to me unrepaired. I'll give Timpsons a try, not that arsed about it being waterproof as I would never wear it near water anyway. I don't really trust myself to replace it but nice one for the tip Tom.

Yeah, mine is 10 years old now, my original battery lasted 5 years, so when it went i took it to Goldsmiths (i think) and they did the same thing, sent it to TAG in Manchester who then said they would only do it with a full service, so i told them to do one. As i said me and the Mrs (i bought her a TAG for her 30th) ended up going to some watch repairer in Lewis's who bunged a battery in (no questions asked, his boss wasn't in, "normally £25 but i'll do it for £10" etc), he was clearly pocketing the cash himself but the watch worked fine until last month when it went again, so 10 years out of 2 batteries is decent enough, but now it's finding a place that will do it at a reasonable price (ie under £30) as i'm dubious about attempting to do it myself as well.