You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

You get the pheasant yet Champ?

I did indeed, as you know, and while it was cooking our neighbour popped in. He'd been out hawking...for pheasant and we now have another hanging in the loft and have been offered as many as we can use

Scamp....on a slightly lesser scale....Asda have La Chase Cotes Du Rhone on offer at the moment....8 quid down to 5. Now that is worth snapping up. Their Merlot is nice too....but the Cotes Du Rhone is well worth a fiver. Not only is it worth supping, you could give that a pressie and it looks lke you've spent a wedge.

I bought a box full to give as presents, it's very drinkable and the best value for a Fiver I've drunk in ages.

Even the bottle looks quite classy.

In a foodie/Winey thingy spirit of Xmas Scamp, Asda have a lovely Chateau Neuf Du Pape on offer at the moment. 15 nicker down to 10.

Proper lovely it is too.

Uncork it, stick it in front of the fire for a couple of hours on Xmas morning and it will do you a treat for your Xmas dinner.

Why, thank you, JC. I do like a drop of red (perhaps, strangely amongst women? I was organising a birthday do with a friend recently and when writing up a drinks list she commented, people dont drink red, do they? Well, I do)

Details. I need details

Edit. In other news, is it that time already?

Still got a few bottles of the 2006 that I picked up at a little vineyard north of Avignon on my travels. Clos Saint Michel if you are interested is now available in Waitrose, but sadly only the 2011 which is way to young for Chateauneuf du Pape according to the lady who flogged it to me. She reckons 7-15 years is about right.

Edit

This is the one, it will be amazing in 5 years time.

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/product/clos-st-michel-chateauneuf-du-pape/082245

we had a degustation of it and the 2006 back in June and the difference in what is basically the same grape juice is stunning.

Why, thank you, JC. I do like a drop of red (perhaps, strangely amongst women? I was organising a birthday do with a friend recently and when writing up a drinks list she commented, people dont drink red, do they? Well, I do)

Details. I need details

Edit. In other news, is it that time already?

Details you say?

Tell her this....yes, my mate JC, he drinks Red too. That should round off the article nicely.

That La Chasse is v nice Scamp....well worth a Fiver....just about the best value for money on offer currently.

There's another Cotes Du Rhone on offer in Asda currently too...I forget the name...9 quid down to 6, but the La Chase is better.

If you want to give a really nice bottle to someone posh/toyboyyou are hopingwillsatisfyyounotlifetimefan then the Chateau Neuf Du Pape is v nice and worth the Tenner.

Asda have some other Spanish, Italian and new world stuff on offer too....but those two are the best bet for Xmas pressies and future offers of sex.*

*buy me two bottles and we'll say no more

Details of the Chateauneuf! I am not adding another supermarket to my list without knowing what I am going in for.

I have to confess that I drink much less French wine these days in favour of the fuller bodied flavours of the new world but I'm always willing to give something another go

Details of the Chateauneuf! I am not adding another supermarket to my list without knowing what I am going in for.

I have to confess that I drink much less French wine these days in favour of the fuller bodied flavours of the new world but I'm always willing to give something another go

To be fair Scamp, I usually load up on Rosemount when it's down to a fiver a bottle...that is what I'd call decent 'guzzling' wine...two fingers of your eye waterer please M'am (fnyak, fnoot etc) you can pick up any number of bargains on guzzling Red, usually reduced from 7 quid to 5...the best offers are usually a tener reduced to 6, or 13/14 down to 9 quid, you just need to keep your eyes open and paws poised.....know what it is you want and wait.

The ChatNeufPap from Asda is exactly that...I cant describe it better....it's French, 2012 Grande Reserve 15 nicker down to 10...way better than any Spanish or Australian for that price.

The Cotes Du Rhone is French...obv...2011, reduced from 9 to 6 quid.

La Chasse is also French...8 down to 5 quid...pound for pound probably the best deal.

Although I like 'new world' wines, I've found that French has less Sulphites in it, so you cane more of it, with less of a bad head.

My mate bought me down a bottle of 15 quid Chilean Syrah when he last came down from Liverpool, think he got it from M&S or Laithwaites and although it was nice, the 15 quid down to 10 Chateau Neuf Du Pape was much nicer for a tenner. So I'd fill fill yer paws on the La Chasse and Du pape for Xmas and pressies.

And my treat to you if you're in Asda. My favourite quaffing Champagne and is regularly on offer in one of the supermarkets, half price in Sainsbos, £12.49, the other week

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-10-best-sparkling-wines-6282495.html?action=gallery&ino=10

Proper class that. Have to say, I dont see the fascination with Champers, never have, expensive cats piss to me. But I'm sure it's an acquired taste.

The Red I was on about Scamp.....depends on what you want it for. say it's Boxing night, you have friends round, a few nibbles, a bit of hilarity etc....then Rosemount or Yellow Tail Shiraz at 5 nicker a bottle is fine.

If you want a nice pressie where the recipients like a nice drop, but aren't wine snobs, then the 2 French I mentioned are ideal.

Like with all Red, stick it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days, but especially with French, get it to room temp or above and uncork it, let it breathe and drink it with your Xmas dinner and it tastes lovely. It's not 'party wine'.....it's better than that, hence why it's worth a tenner.

Proper class that. Have to say, I dont see the fascination with Champers, never have, expensive cats piss to me. But I'm sure it's an acquired taste.

The Red I was on about Scamp.....depends on what you want it for. say it's Boxing night, you have friends round, a few nibbles, a bit of hilarity etc....then Rosemount or Yellow Tail Shiraz at 5 nicker a bottle is fine.

If you want a nice pressie where the recipients like a nice drop, but aren't wine snobs, then the 2 French I mentioned are ideal.

Like with all Red, stick it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days, but especially with French, get it to room temp or above and uncork it, let it breathe and drink it with your Xmas dinner and it tastes lovely. It's not 'party wine'.....it's better than that, hence why it's worth a tenner.

It sounds like sacrilege but my brother has it on good authority that the way to bring red to room temperature is 30sec in the microwave

It sounds like sacrilege but my brother has it on good authority that the way to bring red to room temperature is 30sec in the microwave

Microwaving anything is sacrilege Champy. We all do it, just for the sake of convenience though.

I've never embarked on a fine cooking, eating or drinking experience that involved a microwave. Its the devils tool.

Microwaving anything is sacrilege Champy. We all do it, just for the sake of convenience though.

I've never embarked on a fine cooking, eating or drinking experience that involved a microwave. Its the devils tool.

Nothing melts chocolate better. Behave!

The wine thing came from a wine seller

Done a 10 lb standing rib roast last night for my twins bday. Rubbed in salt, pepper, butter, fresh parsley and garlic. First time I have butterflied the bones away from the roast so I could rub all around, folded bones back over - the best bits are between the bones. 350 for 2 hrs 25 minutes.

Served with horseradish cream, sides = potatoes au gratin and asparagus.

Star baller.

• Upvote 1